Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK, so, this year has been my worst acne year since 7th grade. I'm in 12th grade now and I'm starting to get worried because prom is coming up. No matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of my acne. I was clear for a little while within the past few years, but never completely.

It might be because of my crappy skincare routine. The truth is that I don't know what products to use or when to use them. So I guess I'll outline my skincare and makeup routine and maybe you can help suggest new products or something?

Just to let you know, I have combination skin. My skin gets really oily during the day, but is also really dry and just gross. And I have mild rosacea in the cheek/nose area. Umm my nose is full of these things, I don't know if they are whiteheads or blackheads, that I've had FOREVER. I can squeeze them out and it looks like there is a hole in my nose, but they always come back. I have no idea what it is or how to treat it, so that's something else you can help me with.

Morning:

- Occasionally I use the Proactiv refining mask for spot treatments, usually at night though

- Step #3 in the Proactiv system (it's the little bottle that has BP in it)

- Neutrogena oil-free moisture for combination skin. I just bought it and I don't like it, it doesn't moisturize my skin enough.

Evening:

- Cetaphil cleanser

- Sometimes St. Ives apricot scrub to exfoliate

- Proactiv step #3

- Proactiv refining mask

- Moisturizer that's listed above

Makeup:

- Moisturizer that's listed above

- Sally Hanson's Illuminating Face Primer

- Clinique Instant Pore Perfector

- Maybelline's Liquid Mineral Foundation

- Covergirl Translucent Setting Powder

Just a comment about my makeup. I HATE it. The only reason why I still use it is because I don't know what else to use. It pretty much wears off in a couple hours and looks terrible. So I'll gladly take recommendations for new makeup as well. I was thinking about getting MAC studio sculpt, but I don't know if it's good for oily skin. What do you think?

So, any recommendations for a new routine/products? I don't care if I have to completely change my routine and buy all new products, I just need something that works.

And if I didn't clarify anything, or you need to know something else, I'll answer questions.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

Feel free to leave any tips you have or some products you use that work for you, and how I can incorporate it into my routine.

I use MAC studio sculpt and it hasnt given me any problems. I see a couple of problem products in your regimen. St Ives Apricot Scrub is very abbrasive. If you are acne prone, I recommend you stop using it immediately. In fact, that is the exfoliant that caused me to have blackheads all over my nose. Ive had them for three years now! It also put scratches on my cheeks. Cetaphil is hit or miss. Some people love it and some people hate it. I for one hate it! It leaves a white film on my face, my face doesnt feel clean after washing with it, and it breaks me out in red bumps. You should use the least amount of products on your face as possible

I use MAC studio sculpt and it hasnt given me any problems. I see a couple of problem products in your regimen. St Ives Apricot Scrub is very abbrasive. If you are acne prone, I recommend you stop using it immediately. In fact, that is the exfoliant that caused me to have blackheads all over my nose. Ive had them for three years now! It also put scratches on my cheeks. Cetaphil is hit or miss. Some people love it and some people hate it. I for one hate it! It leaves a white film on my face, my face doesnt feel clean after washing with it, and it breaks me out in red bumps. You should use the least amount of products on your face as possible

What does the MAC studio sculpt do for you? Like compared to other foundations?

I've heard great things about it, but also a lot of not-so-great things. So I don't know yet, because it's kind of expensive.

& thanks for the other tips.

It evens out my skin tone and covers the redmarks. Of course you have to set it with a powder though and I dont recommend studio fix because it has that isopropyl palmitate crap in it. Ive been using this foundation since before the MAC Hello Kitty collection came out (more than a month) and it hasnt broken me out. Of course its expensive, its MAC. Im not even half way done with my tube and I use it daily

For skincare I would try to stick to one system. And I would try to avoid anything too exfoliating. I would suggest Proactiv or AcneFree.

As far as make up goes, I used Almay Clear Complexion Liquid makeup for a long time and really liked it. I also like Sally Hansen aerosol makeup. It's really light feeling with buildable coverage. Mineral makeup is also a great choice.