Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lydia

Reliant on make up

This morning I got very panicky at the thought that I'd lost my foundation, and ended up tearing my room apart to look for it. Luckly it was exactly where I left it :redface2: But it got me thinking that I'm very very reliant on it now, and wouldn't want to venture out of the house without it on, whereas a couple of months ago I'd never used this kind of make up in my life.

Also, the thought of going to the doctors without any make up on next week is quite scary :eek:

How reliant are you guys on it? Would you be able to carry on normally if it all disappeared?

Lydia you cutie!

With that smile you ought to be able to hold your head up without relying on makeup...

Unfortunately I know exactly what you're talking about. I still rely on makeup because 1) the red marks fade so slowly, and 2) I know how much better I look with makeup than without... and I'm a perfectionist. Though when the marks finally disappear I'd love to go without it and let the summer sun turn me brown as a nut!

So.. yes I'm far too reliant on it still, though it's improved. I used to wear the heaviest foundations before I found Bobbi Brown. Also the discoveries on this board (that or time) has helped many of the old marks vanish. So someday I may never have to buy coverage again. :pray:

Im an artist, so putting on make up is like an art form for me. Personally, I can go out without makeup and feel comfortable. Unless Im going somewhere really, really important, I never really use foundation because I hate the way that it feels. I love dramatic eyes. When my eyes are done, I feel glamorous :angel: Another reason why I dont like to wear make up all the time is because people become use to seeing you with it on, so when you're trying to look different it goes unnoticed. <_< Ive noticed that our faces look worse to us than to others, so dont be afraid to go make-up-less, as corny as it sounds, we're all beautiful is some shape or form :angel:

Even though i am almost completely clear and my skin tone is better than it has been in years, i still cant tear myself away from my foundation. I must be a perfectionist too.

Though i 'water' it down now with moisturiser as coverage is no longer such a priority.

I just want to look 'glowing', i have started using highlighter creams which look great and i couldnt use them before as they just highlighted the acne.

Yey for that.

When you use makeup every day of your life for a long time its very hard to stop using it. Its like an emotional attatchment. When my face is done i feel pretty.

cry.gif I don't and will never step out of my house with no make-up on, so I guess I have grown to rely too much on it.

why do u wear makeup to go the doctors, surelly it wud be a good idea to leave it of and for him to see what he is dealing with so he can perscribe.

I used to be relaint on makeup, but have stoped using it now, cause i want my face to clear up quick.

i do feel very self concious without it though, and feel like everyone is lookin at me.

why do u wear makeup to go the doctors, surelly it wud be a good idea to leave it of and for him to see what he is dealing with so he can perscribe.

ooopss sorry bout that!!!

yeh i hated waiting in the room with everone for my derm to come get me,, i felt so self concious

I started using cover-up about 6-7 years ago, and I will definitely not leave my house without it, even if I`m just getting something at the corner store. I`m just so self-conscious about my skin, I want to look my best. Well, as best as I can look. I haven`t started the regimen yet b/c I only found out about this site yesterday, but all of your stories are giving me hope! Love

When you use makeup every day of your life for a long time its very hard to stop using it. Its like an emotional attatchment. When my face is done i feel pretty.

But we need not be so terribly ashamed of how we really look... I read through a memoir this woman wrote and she had a worse case than any of us... she was born with a congenital port wine stain covering half her face.

Unfortunatly, I feel as though I have to rely on makeup for just about everything. I'm too self concious of my skin. I even had to wear it to the dermatologists office and had to take it off there...pretty sad, huh? I hate having to wear makeup...I still feel self concious with it on. Sometimes I think we portray our skin as being worse than it actually is. When I went to the dermatologist, i was almost positive I would be their worst looking patient and I made that clear but they acted as if nothing was wrong. I guess that's because they're dermatologists and see it everyday but still I feel like I'm too dramatic about my skin. I know it's not THAT bad but yet I still can't go makeup-less. Even if I had clear skin I'd feel naked without it. It's just become a habit.

ditto to most of what has been said......when I went in for my smoothbeam appointment (at 9 am) I had to wash my makeup off, but as I explained to the tech, I simply can't go out without it.

That's one of the main reasons I'm doing the smoothbeam and not dermabrasion (doc said there would always be a line of demarcation and I'd HAVE to wear makeup for the rest of my life). I've spoken in depth with my doctor about what my goal is (to be able to throw tinted sunscreen on and head out the door) and hopefully, he'll get me there.

Personally, I can go out without makeup and feel comfortable. Unless Im going somewhere really, really important, I never really use foundation because I hate the way that it feels.  I love dramatic eyes.  When my eyes are done, I feel glamorous :angel:

LOL, Joan i know what you mean about the mom thing...mine also. I went without foundation during a long flight and you know those ugly bathroom lights make you look hideous, i felt like such crap and walked around with my hair in my face :redface2: ...my signficant others always urging i go w/out foundation, i cringe at the thought, but how i'd love, love, love to feel beautiful without it.

Just imagine, going to a school where football is the only thing people talk about, teacher's will pass football players regardless of what they get on a test, and if you even ACT homosexual at all your ass is in a locker (and our lockers were small as hell). Now, try to go into the boy's bathroom and put your make-up on. :whistle:

yeah Saraph, of course they wouldn't understand such a thing...if you really need to apply quick cover up why don't you pretent you're on the crapper, no one will know and the stall is closed. i've done it and i'm a girl. sometimes i just don't feel like being watched. :ph34r:

Before I used to "have" to wear concealer, foundation and powder. That routine took me about 30 minutes and it still looked like crap. Now i've progressed to just foundation and I think I look better without all that crap on my face. I'm starting to not care if a few red spots show through. Not everyone was blessed with perfect skin and it's just a red spot...nothing hideously wrong with it. I still pray for the day I can go completely makeup-less.

Anywho, that little story I told happened like, 3 years ago. I've hid the fact that I wear make-up from all my friends until recently. I just begun telling everyone I do wear make-up because i am getting sick and tired of them always complaining I take too long in the bathroom or that I disappear a lot when I'm out with them. So, now I'm starting to see who my real friends are. A lot of them actually accept me and know that I'm not going to hit on them (though a few of them probably want me too).

So how many of the guy's here have come out of the make-up closet?

yeah Saraph, of course they wouldn't understand such a thing...if you really need to apply quick cover up why don't you pretent you're on the crapper, no one will know and the stall is closed. i've done it and i'm a girl. sometimes i just don't feel like being watched. :ph34r:

In school i used to fix my face in the cubicle too, the one near the window for the best light!

too this day i cannot stand to be watched when applying makeup.

Not to pry, but where do you buy guy makeup? I just think it'd be kinda wierd seeing a guy in the makeup department. I never knew they wore it.