Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
may*

SWITCHED tazorac .05 to .1 help!

about two weeks ago my dermatologist switched me from tazorac .05 to .1, and from doxycycline to minocycline. i've been using the .1 for about a week-week and a half now, and my skin is super super red. i've stopped and switched back to the .5 and it seems to be calming down. i've tried retin-a and retin-a micro and both times it turned my skin a bright red, so much so i had to completley stop using it. i'm booking another dermatologist appointment to ask her what i should do next, but i was just curious as to all your suggestions. i've been on atralin, and differen as topicals, and tried aczone, benzaclin, and duac as spot treatments. none of which i've seen really great reasults from obviously and i'm in a bit of a tight spot as my skin can't tolerate powerful retinoids like full blown tazorac or retin-a, but doesn't respond to weaker ones. can anyone recommend anything?

Are you using a small pea size amount? The difference between a large pea and a small pea really helped my face stay calmer (less itching peeling, itching, etc) at the beginning.

I got red switching from 0.05% to 0.1%, too. What helped was using a gentle toner with anti-irritants and a antioxidant serum with anti-irritants. The fact that that's 2 extra products sucks, but I guess since it works, I can deal.

Edit: It has also helped not to let the shower spray touch sensitive areas of my face and neck. I just splash water on my face to rinse cleanser off. Also, I try to only use lukewarm water.

there's a good chance i'm using too large a pea. but i think i'm going to try the .05 for about a week more and see how it goes, since i probably won't get an appointment scheduled till another week anyway.

what toner/serum did you use and how did you apply it?

also i don't experience any peeling really, the texture of my face just doesn't seem to be nearly as smooth and nice as when i was on the .5 but ever since i switched back to the .5 it's getting back to normal

is it always this red when people start? i just think it's unusual it persisted to be beet red for 2 weeks, and is always that way. i also noticed my face was REALLY red directly after i washed my face (philosophy purity) and applied moistuizer (cerave). But in about 5 to 10 minutes it had subsided to the still awful pinkish irritated color it had been before. i'd like to think my skin just can't handle retin-a or stronger tazorac, but reading some of the posts on here it seems many people experience dryness and redness but their skin does eventually "adjust." my main concern is that it is really just a ton of redness, but maybe i don't get peel-y because i use a good moisturizer before i apply the tazorac.

this sucks because i'd like to contiue with the tazorac as i have some acne scarring/discoloration which i heard it also helps to fade, but after using the .05 for six weeks i didn't see that great of results in helping my acne.

oh and also i got a fraxel lazer on my cheek, one session seemed to do wonders, but i also have to put that on hold till my skin goes back to few/minimal breakouts -_____-

+ since i was on the .05 before i figured it'd be ok to use the .1 every night (for two weeks!) bad i know, but i thought my skin would just tough it out, but since it didn't seem to be getting better, i chalked it up to .1 tazorac will always irritate my skin

AND i don't know if anyone else experienced this, but my face also seemed to really intensify when i laughed? not even extensive laughter just like ha ha laughter lol. once my cheeks flush there's no stopping the rest of my face as i have always flushed super easily.

when i moved up from .05 to .1 i applied the .1, did the .05 for two nights, .1 again, .05 for two more nights, then started alternating every other day, and a week later did every day. i was red but i stuck with it and the results are worth it. what lotion are you using?

okay here's what i do:

night-

wash with philosophy purity cleanser (think i'm going to switch to the cerave cleanser today)

apply cerave moisturizing lotion (the one in the tub)

now apply tazorac .05

layer of aczone to spot treat

layer of BP on top of that for spot treatment

take one solodyn 90 MG (i think it's a generic form of minocycline)

day:

neutragena(sp?) deep clean scrub

mix cerave and duac and apply (my foundation balls up if i don't)

smashbox oil free photofinish primer

clinique "even better" foundation

bare minerals or YSL concealer

set makeup with clinique, nars, or bare minerals powder

for refrence i get mostly white heads now, i very very rarley have black heads and have never had a cyst

I had the EXACT same experience when I first started using TAZ--

Here was my solution--

Do not apply it as directed on the website. Instead, apply it directly to skin. Wait between 5-20 minutes (you might want to start at 5-10), then rinse off with plain water. Moisturize GENEROUSLY with a moisturizer you like (I like Cetaphil). DO NOT USE OTHER PRODUCTS WHILE ON TAZ. I strongly suggest you NOT use any type of toner. Do not apply anything in mornings. Do not spot treat anything. JUST USE THE TAZ. If you must rinse your face in the morning, just use plain water. Even the gentlest of cleansers can be drying, and Tazorac is an extremely potent topical as it is, so you don't need any extra drying.

I applied it for 5 minutes for a few nights, and since my face didn't get red, I upped it to about 10 minutes. My face didn't get red, so a few days later, I upped it to about 15 minutes. My face got a little red after this long of an application, so I dipped back down to about 12 minutes for a few days, then tried 15 again. You must SLOWLY accustom your face to it.

A really red face or itchy flakey skin means to back off whatever you are using. It does not mean to use more of it or to use something else. Just leave your skin alone for a day or two and let it bounce back.

Hope this helps.

so on that method let it sit for about 5 minutes, then 10, then 15 as it can tolerate it?

i have to say it's a lil confusing. so if i were to start this today, i'd apply, leave it on for 5 minutes, and wash it completley off with only water right, then moisturize, nothing else?

i have to use a cleanser at night though, because i wear makeup. :\ i'd be willing to try that method though. are you sure 5-10 minutes is long enough to get all the benefits of tazorac?

10-15 IS NOT ENOUGH HUN. i APPLY IT AT NIGHT, AND WASH IT OFF IN THE MORNING. IT HAS BEEN SO EFFECTIVE, THAT I M IN COMPLETE SHOCK! YOU HAVE TO LET YOUR SKIN ABSORB IT ALL, IF IT BURNS TOO MUCH TRY APPLYING IT EVERY OTHER NIGHT OR 2X A WEEK,APPLY A SMALL AMOUNT, CETAOHIL SPF 15 FACE CREAM COOLS IT DOWN IN MINS!

Yes, you understood me correctly.

Apply the tazorac to entire affected area, wait 5 minutes, wash off. Do this for a couple days and see how your skin handles it. If it doesn't get red, inflamed, peeling, and agitated, try doing it for 10 minutes. Then 15. Then 20. If your skin still seems to be doing fine, THEN you might want to try to apply it on overnight. Like the previous poster said, though, maybe try applying it every 2-3 nights. SLOWLY let your skin get used to it. Everyone's skin is different, and some people react very severely to tazorac (I did, too), so it is important that you slowly get your skin used to it.

And don't forget to apply sunscreen if you are going out-- tazorac REALLY makes you prone to sunburn.

alright i called my dermatologist office. they said to do every other day or even every third day, so i think i'm going to take a break tonight and start every three days tomorrow.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

just so you know...maybe your dermatologist told you to do this and maybe you want to take this up with him/her...the insert that comes in the aczone box says not to use BPwhen you're using aczone. over time it can give the skin an orange tint that can take over a month to go away.

i'd cut out the BP anyway and i'm sure the redness will calm down immensely. sounds like you're already doing enough.

ALSO: tazorac is not to be combined withsalicylic (aka beta-hydroxy) acids, so you should also cut out the neutrogena scrub and switch to a non-medicated one or to baby brush exfoliation (preferable)

so in short: drs. say not to use aczone with bp and not to use tazorac with salicylic acid. cut both of these out and i'm sure your skin will calm down.

IMPORTANT!!!!!

just so you know...maybe your dermatologist told you to do this and maybe you want to take this up with him/her...the insert that comes in the aczone box says not to use BPwhen you're using aczone. over time it can give the skin an orange tint that can take over a month to go away.

i'd cut out the BP anyway and i'm sure the redness will calm down immensely. sounds like you're already doing enough.

ALSO: tazorac is not to be combined withsalicylic (aka beta-hydroxy) acids, so you should also cut out the neutrogena scrub and switch to a non-medicated one or to baby brush exfoliation (preferable)

so in short: drs. say not to use aczone with bp and not to use tazorac with salicylic acid. cut both of these out and i'm sure your skin will calm down.

Do you know why it's not cool to use salicylic acid? Anything besides irritation? Like death? Tazorac didn't work for me until I combined the two, but I get worried about combining all these chemicals on my face sometimes. I would say not to combine them at the beginning, at least. Wait until your face has adjusted to one or the other. Then slowly add in the second.

Also, OP, I'd stay away from mechanical exfoliation (the scrub) until you've been using the 0.1% for a couple months. I can't even use a scrub, wash cloth, or baby hair brush even now. If you want to be super careful, you might want to cut out things with fragrances, at least for now, too.

Hmm . . . on the laughing . . . Maybe blood is going to your face like your blushing slightly, and the redness from the Tazorac intensifies it, so it's more noticeable?

I like shipinabottle's plan for moving from 0.05% to 0.1%. I used 0.05% for over a year with only a little improvement (this is combined with other medications, too). Then I switched to 0.05% twice per day and had some noticeable improvement. I did this by myself (shame on me; always ask your doctor) after reading a study showing that Tazorac is indeed stable in sunlight. After 4 or 5 months, I went to my doctor, and she decided my face didn't look quite as good as I thought it did, and I needed more improvement, so she prescribed 0.1% twice per day. I switched from the cream formulation to the gel formulation, too. The way I did it was by using 0.1% only just once per day for a week. Then I used 0.1% in the morning and 0.05% at night for a week. After that week, I finally went up to 0.1% twice per day. That's faster than I'd recommend for other people, though. I'd been on Tazorac forever prior to that without any irritation. I'm basically clear now, but I do use salicylic acid and the aforementioned Paula's Choice products, which have helped. I mostly had cystic acne.

I'm not good with the search function on this site, but I posted in this forum about redness and irritation before. I posted a picture of myself in the thread, in case you want to compare your redness to someone else's.

The serum and toner I use are Paula's Choice Super Antioxidant Concentrate and Paula's Choice Healthy Skin Refreshing Toner. Paula's Choice products have really helped my skin.

Everyone's skin is so different and there so many combos that have been said to be dangerous but actually work. I suggest listening to your gut feeling when you are being perscribed something by your derm. Anylaze their attitude. Aren they friendly or are they in a rush when your seen?

Taz gel probably would have irritated my skin, i have a feeling,the cream is so much better, Just dont give up, becuase as humans we are very impaitent. This will work give it time. Take heart and be strong. Dont mean to get all religious but ask God to help. It has only been my 3 week on this combo and my back is clearing. My face too, i still am going through the break out period here and there but the scars and red bumps are fading. I never would have made it this far with out Gods help. I cant wait to be completly cured. Be bless everyone. :angel:

thank you so so so much for all the advice!

i think i'm going to use an overnight asprin mask on my off nights when building up to the tazorac .1 every day, right now i'm doing the taz mixed w/ moisturizer every other night. next week i'll probably apply it manually every other night and then 2 out of 3 days.

my face is actually looking pretty good, my main concern now is just red/brown marks :(

and omg i could not imagine using it twice a day lol my face got so irritated from just once every day. unfortunatley i think i have to use a scrub to get rid of some of the slight peeling/dry skin i'm JUST begining to notice. i tried not using a scrub in the morning the other day and my makeup looked terrible because of the dryness seeping through. i'm going to be really gentle in my exfoliation though.