Notifications
Clear all

Why is adult acne usually on the chin and jawline?

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/10/2009 1:07 am

Anyone who knows the answer to this question, please answer it. In my teens, I had severe acne all over my face. Im now 25 and now all of my moderate acne is on my chin and jawline. I also have a ton of blackheads on my nose. I never break out on my forehead anymore. I mean acne is always hormonal so why is acne different in adulthood than teenage years? I know I should know the answer to this but I dont. Sorry

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/10/2009 9:44 am

I'm 32 and now only breakout around my mouth. Can't remember the last time I had a spot anywhere else. I used to break out on the right side of my jaw line but haven't in years (touch wood). For a while I thought it was because I stopped using products there but a while back I tried to stop using BP and moisturiser around my mouth and broke out within a few weeks. I know its probably wishfull thinking but in the back of my mind I think if I just washed/shaved and nothing else after the initial breakout for a few months, the acne might just go away. Don't have the nerve to try it again.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 05/10/2009 9:53 am

I think for some people, hormones have a bigger impact on their acne than for other people - I think its not necessarily the level of hormones in their body, but how their skin reacts to those hormones. Like a lot of things with acne, I don't think they know exactly why some people are more reactive to the hormones.

As to hormonal acne targeting the jawline - I think there are a couple of reasons for that. The chin and jawline area tend to have larger oil glands, so when hormones lead to an increase in oil production, these large glands have a lot to pump out into the pores along the chin and jaw. The pores on the chin and jaw tend to be smaller than in other places on the face, so they are more prone to clogging since they are tiny. Since they are small, they are also more likely to burst from the pressure of all the gunk building up inside, so they are more likely to turn into inflamed pimples or cysts.

Hope that makes sense! That's my best understanding of it anyway.

I'm 32 and now only breakout around my mouth. Can't remember the last time I had a spot anywhere else. I used to break out on the right side of my jaw line but haven't in years (touch wood). For a while I thought it was because I stopped using products there but a while back I tried to stop using BP and moisturiser around my mouth and broke out within a few weeks. I know its probably wishfull thinking but in the back of my mind I think if I just washed/shaved and nothing else after the initial breakout for a few months, the acne might just go away. Don't have the nerve to try it again.
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/10/2009 11:13 am

Twenty six years old here, and 95% of the breakouts I get anymore are around my mouth and on my chin. Definitely a problem area for me. Mine is mostly related to shaving though.

My facial hair is still thickening in this area of my face as well. I wonder if that is related to it. I bet if we were to research why it takes time for facial hair to fill in, we might have our answer.

The clearing of my forehead and cheeks can't be explained away by my hormones being lower. I just had blood work done and my testosterone is very high, out of range actually, yet my forehead and cheeks are completely clear.

I feel like dermatologists should be researching things like this more. It seems the understanding of the cause of acne has not progressed at all over the years. I saw a dermatologist on TV the other day saying "It's luck, you're born with the pores you are born with." I'm sorry, I need a better answer than that, doctor.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/10/2009 5:29 pm

I think for some people, hormones have a bigger impact on their acne than for other people - I think its not necessarily the level of hormones in their body, but how their skin reacts to those hormones. Like a lot of things with acne, I don't think they know exactly why some people are more reactive to the hormones.

As to hormonal acne targeting the jawline - I think there are a couple of reasons for that. The chin and jawline area tend to have larger oil glands, so when hormones lead to an increase in oil production, these large glands have a lot to pump out into the pores along the chin and jaw. The pores on the chin and jaw tend to be smaller than in other places on the face, so they are more prone to clogging since they are tiny. Since they are small, they are also more likely to burst from the pressure of all the gunk building up inside, so they are more likely to turn into inflamed pimples or cysts.

Hope that makes sense! That's my best understanding of it anyway.

The areas next to my mouth are my main problem areas too. I'll get a clogged pore here and there in other places, but I still get them more regularly around my mouth and between my mouth and jawline. They tend to be those tight, noninflamed clogged pores that sometimes turn into inflamed acne. They usually hang around until I get them extracted.

I get pimples around my mouth too but my main areas are on my chin, under my chin, on my jawline and next to end of my earlobes.

and here I have some small scars n

That purple zit by my ear has been there for over a year! I wish it would disappear

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/10/2009 10:06 pm

If I breakout, it is always on my cheeks.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/10/2009 10:38 pm

If I breakout, it is always on my cheeks.

Really?! I thought its rare to have adult acne on the cheeks

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/10/2009 10:49 pm

Thats a question I'm always wondering the answer to as well. I'm 21 and all of my acne appears below my mouth. My cheeks, nose, and forhead get the occasional spot(s) but all these closed comedones and pimples cover my chin and jawline, as well as my shoulders despite my BP and retinoid routine. Anyone know if these areas of the face are significantly different than other areas in any way?

Willow answered that above.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/10/2009 10:53 pm

Thats a question I'm always wondering the answer to as well. I'm 21 and all of my acne appears below my mouth. My cheeks, nose, and forhead get the occasional spot(s) but all these closed comedones and pimples cover my chin and jawline, as well as my shoulders despite my BP and retinoid routine. Anyone know if these areas of the face are significantly different than other areas in any way?

* I also just wana say I'm so tired of ppl saying to just keep from resting my chin in my hand or letting a phone touch my face and it'll go away. I never touch my face unless my hands are clean . Some ppl just dont get it.

While resting your hands on your chin doesnt help, it is not the major cause of acne and thats an ignorant comment for people to make. I hate how people who dont know what its like to struggle with acne think they have all the answers and try to give us advice when in fact, they know nothing about it.

MemberMember
(@kyonmin)

Posted : 05/10/2009 10:55 pm

I am 36 and I break out on the cheeks and downwards near the mouth(sort of in a parentheses around the mouth).

Heck, I am hiding a large zit(on my cheek) in my icon picture! Did you think I was posing like that because I thought it was cute to point at nothing?

MemberMember
(@jennifer-kaur-sudwal)

Posted : 04/16/2013 7:21 pm

The explanation of the large oil glands but smaller pores in the chin/jawline area is great to know because it at least gives a reason why now I'm breaking out primarily in those areas. When I was in my teens I only had acne on my forehead and temples, and now my forehead and temples are mostly clear and I'm breaking out on the lower half of my face... o.O

It's great to know why, but what can I do to address this type of "hormonal acne" because so far the Regimen isn't doing too much to treat it/get rid of it.