Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I took accutane over two years ago, and it dramatically changed my skin for the better. However, I have had weird medical issues ever since, and I am wondering if it has anything to do with accutane. I have prblems with eyes, and they burn constantly. Also, I have overwhelming sweats that come about suddenly, and I still suffer from chapped lips. Has anyone out there had the same effects? Could this be from accutane even after all these years?

I'll move this to the Accutane posts forum. You'll get both answers from our posters: yay and nay.

I took accutane over two years ago, and it dramatically changed my skin for the better. However, I have had weird medical issues ever since, and I am wondering if it has anything to do with accutane. I have prblems with eyes, and they burn constantly. Also, I have overwhelming sweats that come about suddenly, and I still suffer from chapped lips. Has anyone out there had the same effects? Could this be from accutane even after all these years?

Yes, it probably is from accutane. My eyes burn too. Have you been to an eye doctor? I have some special eye drops I use. Sometimes it helps and other times it doesn't, I also have a gel to put on my eyelids from the inflamation.

(I"ll have to look and let you know what they gave me)

Sweating yes, I did for awhile, just waking up and I would be in sweat. This has died down some, but when I am extremely active or busy I tend to sweat alot, where I didn't before.

chapped lips ironically went away after accutane, and mine were bad. every now and then I have to use something for my lips, but not as bad as when on accutane.

I am about 1yr out, Note the eyes and sweating came 2 months after accutane. Theese are just a few for me.

You should look at the online Roche information on eyes and sweating.

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi/pdf

page 27 I believe under skin and appendages, and also about eyes.

Roche also states long term effects unknown.

good luck

Few things i recommend you try....

I have been fighting extreme dry eyes and numerous other side from tane for a couple of years now.... Heres what helps my eyes.

Gamma linloleic acid from borage oil, curcumin, anti histamines, topical rosex gel. Thick ointments and gels seem to help somewhat, drops don't do shit.

Other things that work for me but i can't use because in the long run they actually make things worse (you may be different though). Protopic applied to the eyelids helps alot but causes a different kind of burning, flaxseed actually cures my eyes but flaxseed can cause other side effects from accutane to get worse (a known phenomenum amungst tane 'victims').

Avoid vitamin A supplements and avoid omega 3 from fish oils and flaxseed. For some reason post tane if you have been hit by alot of side effects, these things seem to make matters worse.

Other things that work for me but i can't use because in the long run they actually make things worse (you may be different though). Protopic applied to the eyelids helps alot but causes a different kind of burning, flaxseed actually cures my eyes but flaxseed can cause other side effects from accutane to get worse (a known phenomenum amungst tane 'victims').

Avoid vitamin A supplements and avoid omega 3 from fish oils and flaxseed. For some reason post tane if you have been hit by alot of side effects, these things seem to make matters worse.

What side effects can fish oil and flax seed magnify? I was under the impression that omega 3's would help curb side effects...

What side effects can fish oil and flax seed magnify? I was under the impression that omega 3's would help curb side effects...

I think lamarr1986 is saying that vitamin A supplements and fish / flax oil appear to make things worse for him. So I'm not sure his suggestion to avoid those things is entirely grounded. You can experiment to see if fish and flax affect you, but they may not.

I'd definitely start by talking to an eye doctor, and see where you can go from there. Your general doctor may also be able to run some tests for deficiencies or other issues. It's certainly possible that Accutane has caused these problems, or exacerbated them, since long-term dryness problems from the drug are not unheard of.

I think lamarr1986 is saying that vitamin A supplements and fish / flax oil appear to make things worse for him. So I'm not sure his suggestion to avoid those things is entirely grounded. You can experiment to see if fish and flax affect you, but they may not.

I'd definitely start by talking to an eye doctor, and see where you can go from there. Your general doctor may also be able to run some tests for deficiencies or other issues. It's certainly possible that Accutane has caused these problems, or exacerbated them, since long-term dryness problems from the drug are not unheard of.

There have been many of us who have been Accutaned, not just on this board, where Fish Oil, Flax and esspecially Vit A fat soluble has made our symptoms worse.. I can attest to this myself.

I do recommened however to get your eyes checked by an eye doctor and go from there. I am myself going to try what Lamarr recommended Gamma linloleic.

Some of the stuff my eye doctor gave me helped some, but they are still dry.

Dry eyes can lead to other eye problems down the road.

Whitershade- unless you have been a tane victim this is something you wouldn't understand. I am not going to debate about this.

Yes, some of the supplements that help most normal people, don't necessarily help us tane victims. ironically has an oppsite affect.

There have been many of us who have been Accutaned, not just on this board, where Fish Oil, Flax and esspecially Vit A fat soluble has made our symptoms worse.. I can attest to this myself.

I do recommened however to get your eyes checked by an eye doctor and go from there. I am myself going to try what Lamarr recommended Gamma linloleic.

Whitershade- unless you have been a tane victim this is something you wouldn't understand. I am not going to debate about this.

Yes, some of the supplements that help most normal people, don't necessarily help us tane victims. ironically has an oppsite affect.

? I don't think I said anything controversial, only that she should get checked by a doctor. I agree that dry eyes are a problem, and that Accutane may have caused it...and that Vitamin A and fish/flax may or may not cause problems for her.

I only ask because I have incorporated these supplements into my diet for the past 4 or 5 years. I'm hoping that I don't have to stop just because of accutane, because I believe that the health benefits from the supplements are very important.

? I don't think I said anything controversial, only that she should get checked by a doctor. I agree that dry eyes are a problem, and that Accutane may have caused it...and that Vitamin A and fish/flax may or may not cause problems for her.

Whitershade I wasn't trying to come at you. I sorry if you felt that way.

I was trying to state that for thoose who have been damaged by accutane, certian supplements don't work like they use to before accutane or maybe even while taking while on accutane.

Unless you have been damaged, which you have not, it is hard to understand.

By the way I suggested eye doctor too. I agree with that should be the first step to make sure no eye damage.