Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timbo2600

Need advice for treating folliculitis from shaving

For the past year or so I have been getting random breakouts around my mouth area. I found that if I didn't shave, or was very very careful it wouldn't happen. This entire time I thought it was just acne, but I found out about folliculitis and looking at my condition I can see that it has to be it.

It starts with one or two pimples next to each other and if I shave the area it spreads to both sides of my mouth and on my chin. The pimples are strange, they sometimes clear very fast, sometimes stick around for a week looking more like an abrasion than a pimple.

I've been treating them with salicylic acid and BP before, but I read that if it is fungal I will need something else to treat it. I don't know if my condition is fungal or bacterial, but I've been putting tea tree oil on the area.

If anyone has any advice for this I would appreciate it. I bought a nice old-school straight razor to shave with and now that I know what it is I'm going to be careful not to shave when I see any pimples in the area.

This really bothers me. I think people look at it and think I have herpes or something. No offense to people who have herpes, but this looks even worse.