Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marymc

Round the World Trip?

Hi guys.

I'm hoping to tour south east Asia and some more places in a few months, and one of my big concerns is the Acne regimen.

Clearly, backpacking is not very conducive to numerous, large, liquid filled bottles or long spans of time in front of a sink, especially in hostels or worse. And the heat! I live in Ireland. I know heat makes things worse, because it always happens when I leave here!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for travelling light, but having enough products to last a long time? Or at least until I reach civilisation again? Or if there's some way of managing the regimen without having all the stuff I'm used to.

Any help, advice or anecdotes are welcome!

~Mary

How long will you be overseas? I know that Dan has travel bottles that you can use and refill if needed.

How much product you should bring depends on how long you'll be traveling. That might mean large bottles, unfortunately, if this is going to be a pretty long vacation.

The product you can skimp on the most while traveling is cleanser, IMO. With Dan's cleanser, a little goes a very long way, so you can try using half as much as you normally do and making it lather up a lot before applying it. If your skin isn't too sensitive, you can bring some washcloths and use those to help get your skin scrubbed clean, which will help with using less cleanser. Just be sure to wash those cloths and maybe hang them to dry on a towel rack or off of a bunk bed often. This way you should be able to being a bottle half the size of what you'd normally use.

In SE Asia, you'll probably find that you won't need as much moisturizer as you're using now, but you will need sunblock. Keep this in mind when packing.

Hmm. Well, the intention is to be backpacking for at least four or five months before hitting anywhere with a roman alphabet again. I know about the travel bottles, but I doubt they'd last long enough.

I was kind of wondering if anyone knew of soap bars (in Ireland or UK) that would work instead of the cleanser. I know I could make the BP last longer (it lasts ages right now) but everything is just so unfortunately bulky, when I'll be seriously trying to cut down on weight and volume. I'm sure there has to be at least one person on here who has backpacked for a while and survived! :)

And suncream is fairly top of my list, but thanks for reminding me! :)

I was kind of wondering if anyone knew of soap bars (in Ireland or UK) that would work instead of the cleanser.

I don't know if they sell this in the UK or Ireland, but I use Basis soap & it works great & is cheap.

You can buy Neutrogena and other popular personal care products pretty much anywhere in the world. As long as you can make the BP gel last, you can pick up the rest of the stuff in any major city, and quite often in smaller towns. Happy travels!

I would suggest getting some good facial cleansing wipes. Olay makes some good ones. Also, Stridex has a gread product called Power Pads. They are alcohol-free wipes that contain 2.5% BP and they are fabulous! They come individually wrapped so they are very travel-friendly. They are soooo much easier then slathering on cream 2x a day.