Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allison12

Accutane didn't work!

I did one course of accutane and my face got better, but it was by no means clear. Then, within one week of finishing my course, my skin started to get oilier again and along came more breakouts.

Do you think doing a second course of Accutane in a couple months would help me? Did anyone find that their first course didn't help that much, but their second course did?

Advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

I was on 3 months at 40 mg per day, 1 month at 60 mg/day, and 1 month at 10 mg/day.

I weigh about 112 pounds (~ 51 kg), which puts my cumulative dose at 112 mg/kg.

I was on 3 months at 40 mg per day, 1 month at 60 mg/day, and 1 month at 10 mg/day.

I weigh about 112 pounds (~ 51 kg), which puts my cumulative dose at 112 mg/kg.

If you just finished your course, you may be able to extend it. Lots of dermatologists want you to be clear for a whole month before stopping the medicine, and if you weren't clear at the end of your course, it's possible Accutane wasn't quite finished with its work yet. I was still breaking out a little bit at the end of my 6th month, so I took a 7th, and ended up with a cumulative dose of around 150 mg/kg. Maybe some extra time would help you.

My derm told me that if the acne returns, I could start a second course, but with at least six months between courses to help my body rest and recover. Lots of people have great success with a second course. The statistics would be in your favor!