Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuminator

NOOOOoooo. sugarsugarsugarsugarsugar

i just got a new cyst. and like 4 new medium sized whiteheads...

im pretty sure its because of what i ate yesterday.

a bag of sour patch kids. sour gummy worms. and oreos.

thats alot of sugar

CRAP SO I CAN"T EVER EAT SUGARY FOODS?!

='[ lmfao...

i would actually give all that up easily if i knew 100% sure that it was the cause.

so im doing a fruit diet for a week to see if my skin improves any bit.

to all the websites that said diet has nothing to do with acne......screw you =)

A fruit diet can make it worse. You'd still be eating quite a lot of sugar, high GI foods, and many fruits are common allergens. Don't be extreme. Eat a variety of real, nutrient dense foods.

What you want is an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and to figure out any food intolerances and digestion issues you might have. And sleep well, manage stress and exercise. See the links in my signature for more info.

Also, sugar usually doesn't cause a break out that fast. What can cause a breakout that fast is allergies or other food intolerance. Sugar causes elevated insulin levels which stimulate androgen production which stimulates sebum production. It also stimulates IGF1 which causes hyperproliferation and hyperkeratinization which is what causes clogged pores. Which leads to acne. But this takes time and is generally a result of a steady diet of crap. Not because of some candy you ate yesterday.

It can increase inflammation though, which can worsen inflamed acne or maybe turn an non-inflamed comedone into an inflamed one. But I don't know how long that takes.

And add all the dermatologists that say diet doesn't affect acne to your screw you. Nutrients are how your body functions. It isn't possible for diet to not affect your acne.

A fruit diet can make it worse. You'd still be eating quite a lot of sugar, high GI foods, and many fruits are common allergens. Don't be extreme. Eat a variety of real, nutrient dense foods.

White sugar is bad but the sugar in fruits is fine. I was reading about a guy, Steve Pavlina, who did a raw food diet for 30 days and he tested his blood sugar levels with a testing device. He ate 19 bananas in one day and his blood sugar level didn't rise a bit.

White sugar is bad but the sugar in fruits is fine. I was reading about a guy, Steve Pavlina, who did a raw food diet for 30 days and he tested his blood sugar levels with a testing device. He ate 19 bananas in one day and his blood sugar level didn't rise a bit.

Yes, the sugar in fruits is fine, but not in excess. It can depend on what else you eat as it's the meal that matters and meals with a combination of high and low GI foods can have a low GL. Your example is of a person on a raw food diet, not an all fruit diet.

And it can depend on your activity level as exercise is actually the best thing you can do for blood sugar. However, I do exercise and eat well, yet last fall I ate an apple right before walking into the doctor's office. They tested my blood sugar and it was moderately high.

You probably don't want to go with the fruit diet; but include veggies and lean proteins. I know it's really hard to cut out sugar from your diet in non-fruit forms, but it will get easier as you go. Some fruits are really great when you're craving candy. Bananas are good for chocolate cravings. In fact, sliced bananas with unsweetened cocoa powder is REALLY good. Trust me, I'm a girl. Other fruits are also great, just experiment to find your favorites.

Of course, certain people can't tolerate certain fruits; they make them break out. Just don't worry about it too much, but if you notice you're breaking out when you eat more of a fruit, try cutting it out or lowering your intake of it, and do a little research on other fruits it is related to and avoid those as well.

:D