Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pink_polka234

Would drinking one glass of milk a day cause acne?

See, my family is prone to being short. I am 5 foot five, so I don' t understand why I need to grow anyway. but also, it's for calcium and bones and all that teeth stuff. And because she's the boss.

So anyway, would one glass of 2% milk matter that much? I could switch to skim, but I really hate skim milk. And isn't it the hormones anyway?

Only if milk bothers your skin specifically will you break out. Drinking milk is one good way of getting calcium. Another is by taking a calcium carbonate antacid chewable tablet. Others are by eating foods high in calcium. Get a few minutes of sun exposure a day to manufacture your vitamin D. Not everyone is sensitive to milk.

More and more milk nowadays does not have extraneous hormone content. You can always look for the ones that are advertised as from antibiotic and hormone free cows. Or ask your mom to purchase those and explain WHY you are concerned. Moms are more willing to listen if you don't issue a flat denial and explain your reasoning. ;)

I've kind of just snuck milk out of my diet, and have been eating more yougourt and cheese really lately. I don't know if it makes my acne worse-but I'm not going back until im completely clear for a while

There will be no way to experiment because my mother believes diet has no affect because the derm said so. And she thinks I'm crazy for cutting sugar, but of course is happy about it. Because mothers like healthy children.

I don't eat anything like excess cheese or yogurt, but there is no getting out of milk. I take One A Day for teens vitamin and it has calcium in it. 50% daily serving or something like that. When most of the amounts are 100% or 150%.

I just spoke with her and she said no again. Because asians are prone to osteoporosis or something. But I really don't think a glass a day can matter too much.

The idea that milk gives you strong bones is largely a myth. If you want strong bones, you're better off supplementing with vitamin D3, calcium, AND magnesium, and eating lots of leafy greens and avoiding processed foods in general.

She said No to buying hormone and antibiotic free milk?

Accept the fact that you're going to be drinking milk once a day. Just ask your mom to get the kind from cows who aren't treated with hormones or antibiotics. There's a reason that girls reach menarche younger nowadays, and that kids grow taller than ever before. Hormones in food and in other sources.

You'll be fine; tell yourself that, too.

Good; I knew your mom wasn't going to give ground so it's useless to fight it. Just drink the milk and don't worry about it.

You can use a calcium-fortified milk substitute (such as almond), or simply buy a calcium supplement (to calm your mom's nerves, you can get a calcium supplement that's marketed as a bone-building supplement that also has Vitamin D and magnesium).

The idea that milk gives you strong bones is largely a myth.

okay thank you. She means well and most likely it wouldn't make a difference. LOL I remember my I HATE MILK phase I would wait until she left and pour out the milk. I didn't have acne then, so no test.

I'm sorry about your situation Pink Polka, I can't STAND controlling parents, even when they mean well or it's just over a small thing like forcing you to drink milk. You are your own person and it's your choice if you want to drink it or not, not your mother's. It's just milk, it's not like you're trying to go out and get a tattoo of the Jonas Brothers or something. There are better ways to get vitamins than from milk.

The type of milk that is sold in stores is far from nutritious: Why Not Milk

Good luck w/ everything.

Then just lie to your mom that you're drinking milk. Unless she's depriving you of freedom and constantly monitoring your every move. Problem solved.

With that said, I am soooo unappreciative of the kind of parents mine are and truly take them for granted. Thanks for reminding me how ungrateful I am of my mom/dad. My friend's mom is a b****. Oh well.

she just cares for you and wants the best for you. no need to disrespect her. just obey her until you get older and can decide for yourself. for now, if you dont want to drink milk, just tell her

Guest missyjean130

It depends on your body...I can't tolerate milk like a lot of people on this site, but a small cup plus the milk over my cereal doesn't seem to effect me. I do wanna go back to goat milk when I actually get money.

Ask your mom for calcium supplements or a milk alternative.

she just cares for you and wants the best for you. no need to disrespect her. just obey her until you get older and can decide for yourself. for now, if you dont want to drink milk, just tell her

This. ;)

If your not going to drink milk i would advise against taking a bunch of vitamin/mineral supplements to make up any deficiency. Instead eat whole foods, humans weren't really designed to get our micronutrients from a tablet.

Not really--milk has shown to boost bone mineral density in human subjects plenty of times, and average height by country tends to correlate well with dairy consumption. Osteoporosis is the disease that dairy consumption may or may not protect against, but getting osteoporosis does not mean that you never had strong bones.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.

I concede to your point -- but what about the raw vs. pasteurized/homogenized debate? It was my understanding that milk becomes more or less useless (relatively speaking) once it's been heavily processed.

The idea that milk gives you strong bones is largely a myth. If you want strong bones, you're better off supplementing with vitamin D3, calcium, AND magnesium, and eating lots of leafy greens and avoiding processed foods in general.

Yep

Not really--milk has shown to boost bone mineral density in human subjects plenty of times,

Because you need more calcium when you don't consume the other nutrients needed to absorb and retain calcium and do consume excessive amounts of substances that deplete calcium.

Anyway, there are plenty of other sources of calcium and there's much more calcium in yogurt than in milk. Yogurt has more benefits and is more easily digested and you can consume less of it. Get plain with live cultures. And ideally, use it to make a green smoothie.

Then just lie to your mom that you're drinking milk. Unless she's depriving you of freedom and constantly monitoring your every move. Problem solved.

With that said, I am soooo unappreciative of the kind of parents mine are and truly take them for granted. Thanks for reminding me how ungrateful I am of my mom/dad. My friend's mom is a b****. Oh well.

Whoa! I'm not disrespecting my mother. I think she does have a good point about milk being good for you.

Thanks everybody. I don't think dairy really affects my acne so problem solved.

I don't disrespect her. And I will obey her, I was just wondering if it does contribute to acne.

Just because she is your mom doesnt give her the right to tell you what to drink or eat

It kinda does...remember the eat your vegetable thing? Yeah I still have to deal with that... Our family is big on eating together at the table. That's good, but she can see what I eat. And I have to eat what she cooks. (I mean, her cooking is good but...)

Disrespecting...sigh. w/e, guess you'll just have to continue w/ the milk consumption and be the obedient daughter(?) you are. and it's only a white lie, no big deal.

ok, since you don't want to "lie". just take a sip of milk, so then you can't say you didn't drink milk, you technically did. problem solved.