Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alan Nguyen

Which Kind of AHA, Walgreens of AHA Enhanced Lotion, or Neutrogena Healthy Skin AHA spf 15?

I need an AHA lotion to use in the night, to reduce dullness, redness, and make my face more smooth and clear. Which one works better, Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA spf 15 VS. AHA Enhanced Lotion (Red packaging) VS. Walgreen brand AHA? I can't buy Dan's AHA, so these are my only options. Thank You.

1. Walgreen's lotion.

I tried looking up the Walgreens lotion because I'm desperately trying to find a replacement for the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion "night" version which has no SPF, and which they discontinued about 2 months ago with no explanation.

The Walgreen's website has no lotion of this name listed, though. (as of mid-May 2009) There are signs that others have been searching the Walgreen's website for it, but the search returns no products.

Even here on Dan's product review site, several reviewers of the Walgreen's lotion are saying that it is no longer available. There is also no photo available of it. Look it up here and read the first page of reviews, esp. down near the bottom of the page.

One of the reviewers said that the Walgreen's lotion is the same as NeoStrata's, which I've also never heard of before. He/she wrote: "The NeoStrata Company manufactured this item for Walgreens. This product is the same as NeoStrata's AHA Skin Smoothing Cream-8 which retail for $19.80 unfortunately that product has been discontinued as well."

This is really a pain - all these lotions being discontinued. Even though the Neutrogena lotion worked great for me for 10 years, I am really wondering why all the manufacturers are discontinuing this type of formulation all at the same time. I wonder if there is something in it that is unhealthy or about to be outlawed by the FDA.

I know that when I lived in England for many years, I could not buy the Healthy Skin Lotion by Neutrogena there (an ingredient in it was outlawed by the European health agency) and I had to get it mail order from the US.

2. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion with SPF 15.

The problem with this is that the chemical sunscreens it contains makes many folks break out/get a rash --chemical sunscreens are known irritants on some people. It made me get little red bumps like a rash that would just not go away, and I had to stop using it. The non-spf version I've used for 10 years with great success, and the only thing that was different between them was the spf, so I am probably allergic to the sunscreen.

This version also has a fragrance and it is kind of heavy - heavier than the non-Spf kind. I think it gave me about 20% more acne (in addition to the sunscreen rash) than the non-spf kind did, because this one seems to be thicker and heavier.

But if you have no other choice and you are okay with chemical sunscreens and added fragrances, I bet that this will delight you with how good the basic formula clears up most skin.

3. Alpha Hydrox

The Alpha Hydrox line seems to have several products that have AHAs, good PH levels, lack of unnecesary ingredients, etc. I ordered 3 types of products from their website, at reasonable prices. I was hoping this could replace my Healthy Skin Lotion-Night. Well, I'm sad to say I'm not happy with the various Alpha Hydrox products I have tried. My pores doubled in size in 2 days, I have more pimples than ever, I'm getting blackheads where I haven't gotten them for 20 years (I'm 42 years old), and it's upsetting.

4. Other alternative

If anyone knows of another alternative to Neutrogena Healthy Skin Lotion night version, which has AHAs plus vitamins A, C, and E in it, please post your recommendation.

I need an AHA lotion to use in the night, to reduce dullness, redness, and make my face more smooth and clear. Which one works better, Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA spf 15 VS. AHA Enhanced Lotion (Red packaging) VS. Walgreen brand AHA? I can't buy Dan's AHA, so these are my only options. Thank You.

I just went out to my walgreens and bought the AHA.

I think if you are ABLE to try your local walgreens and you might be lucky enough and they might have it in stock! :)

it makes my skin extra smooth! I love it!