Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ian242

super oily face

Every morning and night I wash my face, but in the morning after a couple hours my face has a thick layer of oil...or it seems thick...Even when I get home from school I splash water on my face, but it still comes back.

Ive tried everything...accutane, proactiv, toners, diffrent face washes, other prescriptions (topical and pill form), even vitamins, and other stuff...still doesn't help.

I know there are other posts on this topic, I was just hoping to get direct answers.

Unfortunately, nothing really works all that well. Keeping blotting till there is a breakthrough.

I have to agree with mbbento. My skin is extremely oily too. I blot often everyday and take vitamin b5. The b5 stopped some oil production (I've been taking it for 3 months now) but I think that it may be causing thinning of my hair.

I agree with mbbento too... so far nothing in the market really works without causing significant damge to the body. Blot and blot.. and use a good moisturizer and drink lots of water. The most we could do is to ensure our skin is clean and well moisturized. I live in Singapore so you can imagine how hot and humid it is, and that means more potential breakouts. I can imagine in a country with less humidity and better weather, the skin may be less oily.

I agree with mbbento too... so far nothing in the market really works without causing significant damge to the body. Blot and blot.. and use a good moisturizer and drink lots of water.

I don't think moisturizing has a damned thing to do with it!!

Ive noticed that vitamin A helps... but today when I woke up-- I had this very oily spot in between my eyes... WTF!

I use a tinted (matte finish) non-sticky sunblock that blends with skin tone. Try Kate Jones products. www.katejones.com

I agree with mbbento too... so far nothing in the market really works without causing significant damge to the body. Blot and blot.. and use a good moisturizer and drink lots of water.

to each his/her own, it helps me, I'm just offering a suggestion, don't need to be rude.

Ok not sure if this will help much because it sure as hell isn't cheap but I got a sample from the mall yesterday from origins. The rep gave me matte scientist for oily skin I do have combo skin so for my oily forehead I put it on and that damned thing over night cleared it up. *well almost completely it was just one night* my skin didn't get oily and it still hasn't and I actually like my skin well moisturized though its not dry right now. *i'm just weird* So it helps reduce oil or just cuts it down significantly with no alcohol I could read from the ingredients. It has like salicylic acid near the end of its ingredient list however. (making me kind of break my no topical rule)

Another thing I tried out from experimenting on my skin was using lily of the deserts aloe gelly and adding 2-3 drops of jojoba oil. My skin did not get oily, cleared up and had a glow to it. Good stuff IMO it just made my skin look ways darker oddly. LOL

Also another thing I noticed that worked for me was actually applying my moisturizer to soaking wet skin. My skin absorbed it with no added oilness and seemed to really seal it in. *spf's for me are funny though some I can do this with and others I have to dry my skin and apply or break out more*

I know it sounds weird but it really helped me. :-)

I have really oily skin too, mostly it's in my T-Zone though. I'm using this stuff called Aqua Glycolic toner (I think that's the name). But so far, my skin isn't as oily as before. I'm not saying that it isn't oily anymore, it still is a little- but it has helped reduce some oil. It's about $11 for a 6 oz. bottle that I think will last you about 3 months or so. The only problem with this stuff is that there is (atleast for me) a burning sensation that lasted 3 seconds when I put it on.

Also, you have to make sure to use a very gentle cleanser that actually cleans your face.

As for moisturizer, you'll still need a moisturizer even though you have oily skin. Also, most moisturizers on the market are acnegenic and/or non-comodegenic- although some use it as a gimmick, so you have to be careful. Personally, I use aloe vera gel because it softens my skin, helps my acne, and is very light and great for the summer.

to each his/her own, it helps me, I'm just offering a suggestion, don't need to be rude.

I question whether it's really helping you, or whether you only THINK that it's helping you. Also, I suggest that an examination of the scientifc evidence surrounding a lot of the claims being made on this site is a lot more important than my being "rude". Probably tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of people make their buying decisions of various skin-related products based on the things they read here. If it's the last thing I do (and it may well be! :) ), I'm going to try to get people to look at the science behind these various claims.

Bryan, there are moisturizers and other products on the market that decrease the appearance of oiliness.

pchic didn't make any claims about decreasing sebum production.

Bryan, there are moisturizers and other products on the market that decrease the appearance of oiliness.

I can't imagine how a moisturizer could do that, unless it also has some kind of cover-up material in it, or something that absorbs oil. Do you remember that part in Kligman and Shelley's study where they said that a little moisture can greatly enhance (make more noticeable) the appearance of just a little sebum? If anything, it seems like a moisturizer would probably make things WORSE, not better.

pchic didn't make any claims about decreasing sebum production.

He said: "so far nothing in the market really works without causing significant damge to the body. Blot and blot.. and use a good moisturizer and drink lots of water." That seems to be a pretty clear indication that that's what he meant.

BTW, LionQueen, is that really a picture of YOU in your avatar?

No. It just looks like me.

The first time I saw that some years ago, I thought it was a picture of the TV/movie actress Terri Garr. If it's NOT Terri Garr, the resemblance is amazing.

See profile pic.

How do I do that?

Click on the little down arrow next to my name and select "View Member Profile".

It's not Teri Garr, btw.

Click on the little down arrow next to my name and select "View Member Profile".

It's not Teri Garr, btw.

It looks like us in our 20's and 30's. I think you and I could pass for twins.

It's not Teri Garr, btw.

It looks like us in our 20's and 30's. I think you and I could pass for twins.

lol, really? I've never seen a picture of you, Wynne.

Anyway, my avatar pic is actually of Laura Dern .... but it looks almost exactly like a pic someone took of me some years back, when my hair was longer. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. People always tell me I look like her, though.

No. It just looks like me.

It does look like you. You, Teri Garr, and the woman in your avatar could all be sisters! :)

How funny, Wynne!

I look quite a lot more like Laura Dern than I do Lauralee Bell, though ... more angular features and not so perfectly symmetrical.

LQ, I always thought that avatar pic WAS you. :)