Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Through high school I very rarely got pimples! I am now 25 and the mother of two, ages 5 and 3, and in the past two years have developed what I guess you would call moderate acne. I have what appears to be a rash (never comes to surface or gets a head) on my cheeks and forehead (its very light bumps but noticeable) and in the past year have begun to get cystic acne along my jaw line and around my mouth and chin! I have literally tried every OTC product that has been recommended to me. They all seem to work for the first couple of months but then the rash reappears and I'm only left disappointed. Awhile back my dermatologist recommended Differen to me and when I went to the pharmacy was hit with the price of 126.00. So I opted out. I'm kind of leery on spending that much on a product, when NOTHING else has really helped! I haven't changed any of my habits through the years, (even use the same makeup that I used in High school). I lost all my pregnancy weight pretty quickly and am in pretty decent shape! Starting to get depressed and a little embarrassed by my face!!! ANY IDEAS would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! :cry:

well first things OTC methods aren't nearly as good as the things you doctor can prescribe (my opinion)

i was never able to control my acne with them in any shape or for any period of time and most things the doctor prescibed to me work my skin has gone from making it diffcult to leave the house at times to easily coverable with make up and not bothering me (its still noticable though)

well right now im in the middle of a initial breakout so im not happy with it but its the first time since october and is all part of the process of getting completely clear so i can put up with it.

anyway i diverge the sooner you start using the presciption products the closer you will be to curing your acne.

differin is a retinoid and they are pretty good (IMO) but some people HATE them look up reviews and posts in the retinoid section

if you do decided to use differin i suggest you ask for an antibiotic as initial breakouts are horrible and an antibiotic will go some way to controlling that (its not really controlling mine but it would probably be worse without and it should be over soon)

luckily i live in the UK so prescriptions for me are free (i see absolutely no merit of logic in the american system but again i diverge) but im guessing your insurance might cover some acne treatment check it out..

make sure you don't use too much differin and start slowly every other day otherwise you will get awful irritation (learnt that the hard way many times gross scaly mess)

OTC counter products might not have these drawbacks but in the long run a presciption med will probably have better effects (my opinion again)

ok and also maybe post a picture your acne doesn't sound to bad my friend had always had incredible skin and then she started breaking out

it didn't look awful but it was beginning to get noticable

so anyway she used panoxyl 2.5 and cleansed and moisterised : basically the regimen and that worked really well for her

she also went on the pill. So yeah look into dans regimen as its relatively cheap and im guessing your insurance covers the pill right?

i should probably look into the regimen myself but it seems to simple to be true

ok and also maybe post a picture your acne doesn't sound to bad my friend had always had incredible skin and then she started breaking out

it didn't look awful but it was beginning to get noticable

so anyway she used panoxyl 2.5 and cleansed and moisterised : basically the regimen and that worked really well for her

she also went on the pill. So yeah look into dans regimen as its relatively cheap and im guessing your insurance covers the pill right?

i should probably look into the regimen myself but it seems to simple to be true

My insurance (unfortunately) doesn't cover anything "cosmetic" so the Differin will cost me 126.00! My acne as I'm told is "not that bad, just looks worse to me" but IS noticeable. (My 5 year old daughter recently commented that "I would be prettier if I didn't have those bumps on my face"....OUCH....that hurt!!!!) As I said I had VERY FEW pimples through adolescence just the occasional here and there. So to have the "rash" and cystic acne that I have now is VERY hard for me and recently becoming more embarrassing! My husband, having SEVERE acne through his early teens, fortunately knows how I'm feeling and has been great trying to help me cope, but of course all of my girlfriends have FLAWLESS skin which almost makes me feel worse (not that I would wish this on any of them)! The first thing I do every morning is go straight to the mirror to see how many more cysts have formed through the night (3 this morning) so I start debating whether or not I HAVE to leave the house that day. I've never been that type of person; I've never cared what people thought of me. Now I don't even want to go out with friends because I'm afraid they're all looking at my face. When I start to think something is working for me it just gets worse in a few days. I'm tired of playing the guessing game.....trying to figure out WHAT if anything will finally clear me up!

I understand the not wanting to leave the house thing and im not that kinda of person normally either

do you sometimes find your self ignoring people or not looking at them and being kind of rude because you don't want people seeing your face.

well you doctor probably can help and differin sounds like a decent start but it takes a lot of time

it (like all other retinoids - most topical acne medications are these) will make your skin worse before it gets better and it will be difficult to carry on and believe it is working because you skin will not be get better

you have to stick with it despite it doesn't seem to be doing good.

go back to doctor and ask for an antibiotic to go with it and decide whether it worth it and whether you can afford it.

the only other cheap thing i can think of that might have sifnificant results is ZINC supplements or removing dairy

but i don't think theres any chance your gonna have much luck with the OTC meds and acne will ruin your self esteem so maybe the derm is worth it?

I've tried not to be rude or ignore people because that's not my personality! (But I don't go out with friends as much as I used to and sometimes make excuses when my face is REAL bad.) I've always been very peppy and personable (I was a cheerleader all through high school). But in the back of my mind I'm always thinking THEY'RE STARING AT MY FACE! Most of my friends know how uncomfortable I am with my acne so they've never REALLY stared or made any comments (only reply when I make one). I find myself making comments first, more and more, lately. It's my way of coping with it. I feel if I put it out there then the awkwardness for me is over. They know I know I have it and it sort of breaks the tension for me! (Almost like when you're the overweight person in the room so you joke about it!) That's me with my acne! But inside it really hurts!

My mother is a physician and recently prescribed me some antibiotics but I didn't see any real effects. She has tried soooooo many times to help me! But unfortunately.....nothing has worked so far! That's why I'm going back to the derm! I've got an appointment for the 26th and am so anxious to see what she has to say. I haven't seen her since my acne JUST started (about a year and a half ago) and really wasn't bad at all....just a few here and there! But because it has only continued to get worse in the past year, I'm afraid to see what will happen if it continues progress!

I tried Proactive right in the beginning and it seemed to be working, but about 3 months into it EVERYTHING came back (that's when I developed the "rash" on my cheeks)! So I discontinued it fearing it was making it worse, but the "rash" has never gone away! And it's STILL there, and within the past year I've developed cystic acne along my jaw line and around me chin. So I'm sort of afraid to use anything with BP, again. I'll have to post some before and after pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Okay....so I tried to take some pictures and realized my acne doesn't show up so well on camera since its all light (no redness, just flesh colored)! (In a way makes me feel a little better since I've been avoiding cameras A LOT lately!) But wish I could show you so you can see what I mean. I appreciate you writing back to me! Like I said I don't really feel comfortable talking to my friends since they don't know where I'm coming from! Thanks!

I have that problem too where a lot of my pimples take a long time to heal. I have this pimple Ive had since last year next to my left ear! Anyway, I find exfoliating really helps. I use the shisheido facial brush. What is your facial regimen as of now? Is your skin oily, combo, or dry?

I think I have more of a combo....I haven't really figured it out to be honest! I think that's why I'm having such a hard time trying to find something that works for me.

I use the Clean and Clear Blackhead Eraser every couple of days, to exfoliate. Contains Salicylic acid. Using it everyday seemed to make my "rash" worse.

But am washing 2x a day with Nuetrogena foaming face wash. (morning and night)

I only apply my moisturizer in the morning right after my shower. (When I put it on at night my face seems to get REALY greasy when I sleep, but it doesn't do this during the day????) Like I said I'm sort of afraid to use BP again since my results were only short lived using it before and am afraid I may have done MORE damage by using it!

I haven't changed my moisturizer since high school but guess I'm willing to try something new if you have any suggestions for me!

I'm just so confused! I never had to deal with any of this stuff and don't really know much about it! None of my friends have ever gone through this and my husband doesn't really speak about what he went through (other than it was hell)! I just can't wait to see the derm and see what she has to say and recommend for me!

Hi,

I can sympathize with you- I was also wary of spending so much money on acne products when I wasn't sure if they would work. It's great that you're going to go see your derm again, but before you do, you might want to rule out another possible cause for your rash. Those bumps might be fungal folliculitis and if they are they will be easy and cheap to treat- all you need is a bottle of dandruff shampoo like Nizoral or Head and Shoulders. Lather up the infected areas, leave it on for 3-10 miutes and then rinse. Check out this thread to see if it sounds like you:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Small-bum...es-t164964.html

I used to get those bumps on my forehead, temples and jaw line- I started using Nizoral a year and half ago and I've been 95-100% clear since then.

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for the info! Some one also told me that they used Monistat 3 (the cream) on their face and that yelped because of the yeast build up. I haven't been able to find any info on using it but I did buy some but again am leery on using it!

Does anyone know if this works???? Or could it cause more damage?