Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cam's mom

Hormonal Acne?

Hi. I am new to this board. In a nutshell, I am 31 years old. I've always had very mild acne especially around my period, but 6 months after I gave birth to my son I've developed pretty bad acne on my cheeks. I've been to several dermatologist that say this is hormonal. I've never had my hormones tested yet..

I've tried antibiotics which did not work and in a desperate attempt I went back on birth control pills (othro tri cyclin). It has helped about 50%. I have lots of dark spots that these pimples leave behind.

I really do not want to be on birth control pills but now I am afraid to come off. I am using benzaclin which I do not feel helps at all. I am about to start the regimen and recently stopped eating dairy (about 3 days so far).

I have a happy life and this is really affecting the quality of my life..I know that is terrible to say but it's true. My husband doesn't fully understand. I am always nervous to go out during the day around other people. I want to take my son to the park and enjoy the beautiful days but I am alway so insecure to be around other women and feel like I am always hiding. I don't know how to stop feeling this way and I don't want this to affect my beautiful son.

Anyway, does anyone have any advise for me as far as treatment for hormonal acne?

post-102705-1241798918_thumb.jpg

post-102705-1241798918_thumb.jpg

I wish my acne was that mild. I wouldn't even consider anti-biotics or any treatment if I had your skin. Honestly, you shouldn't have those insecure feelings with such a negligible condition. If you feel it's necessary to treat it I would simply use an otc brand of BP.

I wish my acne was that mild. I wouldn't even consider anti-biotics or any treatment if I had your skin. Honestly, you shouldn't have those insecure feelings with such a negligible condition. If you feel it's necessary to treat it I would simply use an otc brand of BP.

what you see in this picture is after the use of Birth Control Pills. which did clear most of it. Before the BCP it was 10x worse. I want to come off the pills though..

I'm 31 yrs old and have what I believe is hormonal acne too. When I was pregnant with each of my kids my skin actually cleared up but it broke out shortly after giving birth. I have times when my face is nice and clear and then bam, I get a nasty breakout on my cheeks. This happens close to my menstrual cycle, when I'm stressed out and anxious, or when I eat or drink dairy products (big no-no for me.) I have never used birth control pills but a derm prescribed spironolactone for me. I've read stories where some say it worked wonders for them while others weren't too crazy about out it.

For me, it worked great. My skin was clear while I was taking it and it really didn't matter what I ate or what time of the month it was. The two periods in my life where I took it, I then stopped b/c I felt like I didn't need it anymore but several months later the breakouts came back. I ran into some health issues (not related to the spiro) and just wanted to try natural alternatives so I stopped taking it last year. I'm actually about ready to start taking it again b/c I'm having awful flare-ups again (on my cheeks) and it's frustrating.

I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow and see if he can suggest a natural alternative for keeping the hormones in check. If there aren't any that I can find that work, I'm going back on the spiro. It's the only thing out of a TON of stuff I have tried that really worked to clear my skin in a relatively short period of time.