Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Survivor540

What good has acne done for you?

What has acne taught you, or forced you to learn? There is always a silver lining and it took me two years to find mine:

-Acne got me to learn SO much about skincare (to where now my mother comes to me before buying absolutely anything)

-I got really close with certain friends (since I was afraid to talk to anyone else)

-I learned to be able to look into people's eyes and realize that they are probably worrying about some other physical trait and don't notice my acne (mine was only moderate at worst, but still I'm a perfectionist)

-I really became so humble and honest with myself.

-I learned that people can be pretty even with flaws

-I also learned that everything seems so little overtime

compassionate towards people with the same problem

not so compassionate for people without the same problem

=/

I was never much of a judgemental person. so in that aspect it didn't do much for me.

I think it helped me learn about health but too late.

I look at it negatively. It sucks that it took a condition like acne to change my thoughts. I would have preferred to be born with this humility. It doesn't feel pure.

I've definitely learnt to appreciate what i have been blessed with. and also wen i lookat people with acne, I definitely feel compassionate towards them. If I see a pretty/handsome person, whether they have acne or not does NOT matter.

It has built me callous. From an outside perspective that might appear as a curse, but it's not. The world is a relentless place -- physically, emotionally, spiritually -- and a stalwart presence is a virtue among flaws. I am still able to grow and express myself through those mediums, but it takes a lot more abuse to wound their fortitude now.

The more prominent effects have been on my ability to fight. Not only has it forced me to practice technique, but it has also motivated me to pursue the urge to fight. I guess the emotional pain of acne has rendered me dauntless to its physical counterpart...

^ I agree. Truthfully it's done nothing good as well.

I'm clear now and good but the past years were terrible for my self esteem and social life. No matter how you cut it, if I never had to deal with this at all, it would've been a lot nicer to live in bliss.

although my former self used to love kumbaya moments, these days i'm just not in the mood for kumbayas.

I fucking hate acne and everything that comes with it, good or bad.

Yes, when I talk to people I am nice and do not judge on looks but those traits aren't recipecated. People are just rude when you're not looking your best, or perfect. they don't even want to try. If you accidently stumble onto them on the tube and then apologize they just turned their face and ignore your apology as if you're beneath them.

I can't be kumbaya about acne, ever, I just can't.

I never used to be this miserable. People say hang in there, i've been fucking hanging in there since I was 13.

Kumbaya.

It has done nothing.

Its the most underated condition to have because ppl who have never had it, think that when its gone ure confidence comes back, but for some it never does. The emotional and physical scars still exist throughout ure life.

It has made me more sensitive towards others and more aware of how people are feeling.

I dont know if this was due to acne but I can read people extremely well emotionally almost like a book.

i don't think it's been more helpful than hamrful, but it's taught me how powerful your mind can be. how someone can trick themselves into thinking they're not good enough for certain people, things .. just because of a skin condition.

when my acne was at its worst, i forced myself to ignore it the best i could. even tho i was bottling up my feelings, it was the only way i could actually have fun around friends or family. so i guess a good thing that's come from it is learning how to cope with insecurities pretty well.