Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Birth control pills causing melasma...and melasma occuring after chemical peels due to birth control...

can this be avoided by being diligent with sunscreen? Or does it occur from within--something that can't be avoided?

I'm worried about this :confused: Please help!

Birth control pills causing melasma...and melasma occuring after chemical peels due to birth control...

can this be avoided by being diligent with sunscreen? Or does it occur from within--something that can't be avoided?

I'm worried about this :confused: Please help!

Sorry I know this post is from ages ago, but just to co-sign... I had melasma from a birth control pill. It got quite bad, so I stopped the pill. It probably took a few months to fade and about a year to completely go away. It's on the inside, suncreen aint goin do the trick.

I wish there were some more recent posts about melasma... Alot of the topics on this forum were started a long time ago... Anyway only today did I notice some very faint marks on both sides of my nose and forehead. They are symmetrical too! Typical pattern of melasma. At first I thought they may just be freckles but I don't think so :( I've been on the birth control pill (Estelle-35) for 7 months now and I think it combined with 3 months of being on spironolactone has really cleared my acne up... I have a complexion that is really prone to scarring and hyperpigmentation too, this could very well be the early stages of melasma. :wall: Just when I thought I might have my acne under control too... I'm going to talk to my derm about it in a couple of weeks. Really dissapointed I might have to change my regime... I've read horror stories of people going off of birth control pills and experiencing the worst breakouts ever as their hormones attempt to rebalance themselves. Here's some info i pulled from http://dermnetnz.org...

................................................................................

What causes melasma?

There is a genetic predisposition to melasma. Triggers include:

- Pregnancy, the pigment often fades a few months after delivery

- Hormonal contraceptives, including oral contraceptive pills and injected progesterone

- Sun exposure

- Scented or deodorant soaps, toiletries and cosmetics - a phototoxic reaction

- Unknown factors, when it arises in apparently healthy, normal, non-pregnant women

................................................................................

A sunscreen with a high SPF is always a really good idea anyway... It would definitely help to prevent the melasma from getting any darker due to sun exposure but I think if your melasma is being caused by birth control pills sunscreen is definitely not going to stop it from progressing. I'm worried about this too! I really think I am going to have to come off birth control!

Edited by Spinnerette