Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steve.weiss

Considering quitting

I've been at it for about a week and a half with some results, but nothing significant, and a whole lot of drying. As much as I dislike Acne, I dislike flaky skin more. Am I just not using enough moisturizer or what?

The dry, flaky skin won't last forever. It's just something we all go through when we're just beginning The Regimen. It would be a shame to quit a regimen that could really help just because you're frustrated with the initial discomfort. Like I said, it's not going to last forever. Your skin just needs time to adjust to the BP.

In fact, the flaky skin is actually kind of a good thing--your skin is exfoliating itself, which leads to cell turnover.

Try moisturizing more often, or adding jojoba oil to your moisturizer.

I'm tellin you man, stick with it. Give it at least another two weeks and I bet you'll be alot more happy. The dryness goes away within the next week or so, promise. And if not, then up the moisturizer a little more.

Is there any quick-fix to the flakiness? It's not even that big of a deal for me, but I'm starting a job in a couple of days, and it would be nice to not have gross flaking skin ...

You could try very gently going over your face with a wet washcloth at the very end of your morning shower, after your skin has had a chance to soften up. Don't scrub or anything; you don't want to irritate your skin.

It might help get some of the flakes off.

It is discouraging to look in the mirror at a still broken out face only now complicated with flaky skin. It's very discouraging. I've been there, and so have many others. As c'est la vigne metioned, the flaking is temporary and actually a good thing. It's possible your skin has new zits from purging while beginning the regime as well. Check out cool as kim deal's sticky at the top of this forum (subforum?) and especially check out her sig line which is a link to her method of using the jojoba oil. I think in that thread is maverick's way of using the jojoba oil too (correct me if I am wrong!). I use it both ways depending on if I have make up on and also how dry my skin may be that day. I'd rather add oil to my skin that is noncomodegenic than try to blot (or actually smear-sebum-and-dead-skin-around) with oil blotting sheets.

I've had cystic acne since 22-23 years of age, and have been on spironalactone for years. I've recently stopped the spiro (prescription ran out and no time for an appointment), but it would be great if I could treat this topically instead. Even on spiro I was having breakouts occasionally, and my skin looks better now since adjusting to the BP. Even the lovely red macules from previous breakouts are healing faster, as opposed to what has been reported about BP use and these red lesions.

FWIW, I use cleansers and moisturizers of my choice, but Dan's BP, jojoba oil, and AHA+. I've been using another 2.5% BP in the same amount for some time, but I noticed that with Dan's BP that his version is easier to use and more zits came to surface. Also, instead of lingering cystic acne that won't come to a head, I have a garden variety zit that pops easily within 24 hours or less from first noticing it. The red macules left from such zits are much less than what I suffered before BP, and it's possible that my nightly use of AHA+ is what's helping them fade more easily. I've still got a lot to work on in regards to my skin and clogged pores, but just the BP has gone a long way to improve my skin. It's just hard psychologically to get past those first few weeks when we have crappy zits now with crappy flaking.

Sorry this got so long, big hugs to you and keep at the regimen! Maybe more moisturizer after your moisturizer dries or adding jojba oil can help in the meantime.

the drying is normal!!! it will go away & ur acne will be gone! but after ur skin adjusts just start using it once a day at night.

After I wash my face I pat dry with a paper towel and then gently wipe away as much dead skin as possible. As long as the paper towel is damp and I'm gentle, it doesn't irritate and seems to keep the flakes at bay. AHA was what really got the dryness under control though, just don't start it too soon or you'll irritate your skin.