Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnejean

Mineral Makeup online is mostly all the same

I have been searching for as long as I can remember for good mineral makeup. I first started with Bare Minerals which covered very nicely but the Bismuth is bad and I know people who got cystic acne from it so I stopped. Since then I have been looking online for "cleaner" mineral makeup.

Thank goodness for Makeupalley.com because their reviews on even small online mineral makeup companies are on there.

Anyways, I was looking at Alima mineral makeup and thought, "Why is this so expensive when it's just a couple simple ingredients?" For me, $15 for samples is a lot and I've wasted money on samples in the past.

I have been using L.A Minerals for the past 6 months or so but I don't like some of the ingredients like dimethicone which in lotion breaks out my skin so maybe it is now, I'm not sure.

I googled "Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), may contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007)" which are the same ingredients Alima, Everyday Minerals and other online mineral makeup companies use. Even the numbers on the coloring is the same. It's pretty wacky to me the price ranges. I'm not bashing any specific makeup company but ingredients are ingredients!

One makeup company was selling the SAME ingredients for 8 grams at $60!

It's going to take me awhile to figure out which one has the cheapest amount but once I find it I'll update.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:9yyNXb...lient=firefox-a

has a huge list of those sites that use the same ingredients.

Guest missyjean130
I have been searching for as long as I can remember for good mineral makeup. I first started with Bare Minerals which covered very nicely but the Bismuth is bad and I know people who got cystic acne from it so I stopped. Since then I have been looking online for "cleaner" mineral makeup.

Thank goodness for Makeupalley.com because their reviews on even small online mineral makeup companies are on there.

Anyways, I was looking at Alima mineral makeup and thought, "Why is this so expensive when it's just a couple simple ingredients?" For me, $15 for samples is a lot and I've wasted money on samples in the past.

I have been using L.A Minerals for the past 6 months or so but I don't like some of the ingredients like dimethicone which in lotion breaks out my skin so maybe it is now, I'm not sure.

I googled "Mica (CI 77019), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), may contain (+/-) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007)" which are the same ingredients Alima, Everyday Minerals and other online mineral makeup companies use. Even the numbers on the coloring is the same. It's pretty wacky to me the price ranges. I'm not bashing any specific makeup company but ingredients are ingredients!

One makeup company was selling the SAME ingredients for 8 grams at $60!

It's going to take me awhile to figure out which one has the cheapest amount but once I find it I'll update.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:9yyNXb...lient=firefox-a

has a huge list of those sites that use the same ingredients.

True.BUT some companies have better equiment to make the ingredients super fine and fluffy.

I rather try making my own,you can buy those ingredients seperate and you can make your own custom color.I don't know where to start,but I'll eventually get around to doing it.

I guess, but a lot of mineral makeup online get it from the same wholesaler. We'll never know. I have been thinking about making my own but I am not crafty in that department haha.

I can barely find the right makeup that is already made.

the ingredients might be the same.. but what amount of each ingredient is added and how they are blended makes a difference. some companies might use more mica, others might eliminate mica completely.

Last time Leslie (CEO of Bare Escentuals) was making a presentation on QVC, she explained how BE prepares the minerals. they grind them up first, then mill them to micronize the particles, then mill them again I don't know how many times. the preparation and milling process can make a difference, especially when it comes to powder products. I'm just using BE as an example - not trying to say it is better (although it certainly is the most popular).

the ingredients might be the same.. but what amount of each ingredient is added and how they are blended makes a difference. some companies might use more mica, others might eliminate mica completely.

Last time Leslie (CEO of Bare Escentuals) was making a presentation on QVC, she explained how BE prepares the minerals. they grind them up first, then mill them to micronize the particles, then mill them again I don't know how many times. the preparation and milling process can make a difference, especially when it comes to powder products. I'm just using BE as an example - not trying to say it is better (although it certainly is the most popular).

Oh ok, I just thought it meant from the numbers and the colors. Eek, micronizing the minerals is bad I heard.

^ it depends on who you ask. there was a heated debate over at a separate forum I visit over whether or not micronized powders were toxic for your lungs (Coastal Scents silica powder, MUFE HD powder specifically). I think in the end they agreed that it wasn't toxic unless you sniffed large amounts of the powders on purpose. I personally wouldn't worry about it =]

Meow Cosmetics is fairly cheap, you can get a huge 3oz jar (30g net weight -- 3x the amount of BE) for $22-27 depending on your formula ($1 samples), and it works great. It's much finer than EDM, which I found to be very coarse.

Meow Cosmetics is fairly cheap, you can get a huge 3oz jar (30g net weight -- 3x the amount of BE) for $22-27 depending on your formula ($1 samples), and it works great. It's much finer than EDM, which I found to be very coarse.

yeah, i checked out their site earlier in the day. i ordered samples from free spirit beauty makeup.

Guest missyjean130
^ it depends on who you ask. there was a heated debate over at a separate forum I visit over whether or not micronized powders were toxic for your lungs (Coastal Scents silica powder, MUFE HD powder specifically). I think in the end they agreed that it wasn't toxic unless you sniffed large amounts of the powders on purpose. I personally wouldn't worry about it =]

inhaling the shit hurts!

I found the L'Oreal mineral collection to be good for me. It covers my redness, doesn't make me break out, and blends really well. It's a decent price, I suppose, at about thirteen dollars. This is really the only mineral make-up that I've really used, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've gone back to Almay TLC powder myself.

I found the L'Oreal mineral collection to be good for me. It covers my redness, doesn't make me break out, and blends really well. It's a decent price, I suppose, at about thirteen dollars. This is really the only mineral make-up that I've really used, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I've gone back to Almay TLC powder myself.

It has Bismuth Oxychloride which I don't like.