Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well....thanks to months of stalking the logs on this sit I was able to muster up the courage to talk to my Derm about Accutane, and as you can see it was sucessful!!!! YAY

I did my first blood test and now I just have to wait for them to register me on Ipledge and go for my 2nd blood test on May 20th and as long as it comes back okay I will get my prescription, so I should be starting at the end of this month!!!

I'm going to be on Sotret and my derm was saying he will probly put me at 80mgs and that I'll be on it for 6 months ..I guess I will find out for sure once I get my prescription. My derm was saying that the generics dont work as well as the brand name Accutane. I told him I cant be on that because it would cost 1200 a month with my insurance. I think thats bullshit anyways...its seems like most of the people on this site are on generics. Anyways he said sotret is the only other brand he will prescribe so that is what I am going to be taking!

*****A little bit about myself and my acne for those who care********

I'm 23 yrs old. 180lbs (I know, thats another thing I am going to work on while I'm taking care of my skin!!!) Ive had acne since I was in 8th grade. Its had its ups and downs, sometimes it looks good sometimes it looks horrible. Ive tried all the antibiotics, retina (which totally fucked up my skin) chemical peels, microdermabrasions, pretty much anything you can buy at the drug store, changing my diet, obagi, tons of expensive skin stuff that didnt work....basically like the rest of you...NOTHING WORKED!! so here I am...about to start Accutane!!! I'm so excited!!!!! :D

Please let me know what kind of products you all are using while on accutane...I need to go get supplies!!!!!!!!

oh and how do you guys do the thing where theres a link to your log at the end of every post and you can put your regimen and stuff? This site is confusing.

Heyy Shelley... good luck with accutane! For chap stick I really like Nivea, a kiss of moisture. It keeps your lips nice and moisturized!

Congratulations on starting your course!

I'm on Yaz too. It gave me a pretty hideous breakout in the first month I was on it, but I started Accutane immediately after that, so it cleared up just fine. Now things have evened out nicely, and I actually like Yaz more than other BCPs I've tried.

I'm surprised your dermatologist told you generics are less effective than brand-name Accutane. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that's true, and besides, you'll be getting the same active ingredient regardless of which brand you choose. So don't worry (I was on Claravis and it worked like a charm.) You're smart to question your dermatologist, and I hope you'll continue raising questions if he says anything else that seems fishy to you. :liar:

And hey, don't worry too much about your weight while you're on Accutane. One thing at a time! You're going to look so amazing when you're done with the course that you'll be extra motivated to take the next step. Personally, I thought it was a good idea to avoid strenuous exercise on the course anyway...sitting on my butt and eating fatty meals is a great summary of how my course went...

By the way, you can edit your signature here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/edit-signature.html

(I know, it took me ages to figure it out. I swear I'm a smart kid...)

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Thanks so much girls for all the info!!! Are you done with your course? What was your doseage and how long were you on it? How long did your IB last?

I'm almost having second thoughts about accutane. My skin of course just started looking like its clearing up (but it does that a lot and then it gets grose again). I hardly have any actives right now and the ones I do have are pretty much all around my mouth and on my cheeks. have you heard of spironolactone and do you think i should try this first? I just dont know what to do......I really want to do the tane im just afraid that the breakouts might come back since I believe my acne is mostly hormonal.

Well I will probly end up taking the accutane...im just kind of scared.

OKAY.....So for the past few days I have been debating wether or not to go through with the Accutane. I read up on spiro a little bit and it sounded like a better idea than accutane. Then I read up on spiro a little bit more and it doesnt sound like such a good idea anymoe. I know I need to do SOMETHING SERIOUS about my acne. Though it has cleared up some from the yaz its still not at all anywhere near where I want it to be. Im still having at least one new pimple every day....mostly around my mouth but I have little tiny ones all over the place. My nose is absolutely covered with blackheads and clogged pores and crap...forgive me I never did figure out the correct names for the different kinds of acne.

So after so much freeking debating and research and weighing pros and cons and blah blah blah to the point where I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown about my skin.....I have decided......dun dun dunnnnnnnn................ACCUTANE!!!

One of the pros on my list for accutane was being able to make an accutane log!! haha im pretty excited about it. I'm a fast typer and I love to write so forgive me for my long and drawn out posts...Feel free to just skim through them :)

So I have a derm appointment tomorrow. I just want to see if I can get some kind of antibiotic to help me through the IB and I also want to see if my derm can give me some kind of cream for exema. I have some on my face and I am prone to it on my arms so I just want to be ahead of the game when i start getting it from the tane.

Is anyone else having a problem with exema (DRY ITCHY FLAKY SKIN) and was anyone else put on antibiotics to help with the ib???

Yo, yo. So you are taking the plunge, congrats!

Just a heads-up, my derm described Yaz to me as a BCP with Spiro (androgen blocker) built in, so you should be getting the benefit of that as well as Accutane. So you'll be SUPER DUPER clear by the time your course is up!

Keep us posted!

oh shit, you're right. I was thinking that yasmin was the only one that contained spiro but i just looked it up online and yaz has it too. cool. yah, so i should be able to stay clear after accutane!!!! I cant wait. The day i can actually look in the mirror and say that i have zero pimples on my face will be so freekin exciting. I probly havent been able to say that since about 8th grade. seriously.

Hey I do not have time to read your entire log but I wanted to stop by and show support, plus I rather communicate with you on your own log. I am at work so I gotta go but I am wondering what you are mouisturizing with??? You should keep your skin well mouisturize and do not worry about been too oil (most of us is used to been oily) oily is better than dry enzema patches on your face. Gotta go! Remember to SMILE!

thanks for stopping by. Right now (havent started accutane yet) I am using the cetaphil CREAM moisturizer in the tub. I mix a few drops of jojoba oil in there as well. Its workin okay but as of right now i still have a lil exema on my face that doesnt want to go away, im not sure why. I have only been washing my face 2x a day using the cetaphil cream cleanser in th emorning and then neutrogena foaming face wash at night (as it removes all my makeup). I dont know...i think the exema is probly related to my diet. I have been eating like shit lately. Once i start accutane im going vegan!!! This is like a whole life makeover for me.

Well, I am about to go to the derm and see if he can give me something for my exema that i can use while on accutane and also see if he can give me something to help me out through the IB. My skin looks pretty good right now so I hope he doesnt change his mind and tell me i cant go on accutane!!! ahhhhhh ill kill him if he does.

ill let you all know what happens.

oh and can you all let me know what kind of products you are using that work best??? What im most in need of is a face wash to use to remove my makeup. It needs to be something that is non-irritating. Preferably not scented and not loaded with crap thats gonna dry my skin out. Thanks :)

I like Purpose because it foams up. I hear good things about Cetaphil cleanser, but I'm just not comfortable with a cleanser that doesn't "bubble" a bit.

I'm not sure what the posting guidelines are regarding outside websites, but I have found MakeupAlley invaluable. The reviews there have never steered me wrong. (I don't want to get my post taken down, so just google MakeupAlley and you'll get there all right. Also, do a product review search for Accutane -- pretty positive response there!)

Oh, and if I were you I would pick up the Cetaphil cream that comes in a tube instead of the tub. I use both, but reserve the big tub for my body since I'm always dipping my dirty ol' hands in there.

I like Purpose because it foams up. I hear good things about Cetaphil cleanser, but I'm just not comfortable with a cleanser that doesn't "bubble" a bit.

I'm not sure what the posting guidelines are regarding outside websites, but I have found MakeupAlley invaluable. The reviews there have never steered me wrong. (I don't want to get my post taken down, so just google MakeupAlley and you'll get there all right. Also, do a product review search for Accutane -- pretty positive response there!)

Oh, and if I were you I would pick up the Cetaphil cream that comes in a tube instead of the tub. I use both, but reserve the big tub for my body since I'm always dipping my dirty ol' hands in there.

Well I just go back from the derm. Remember how i said I was afraid he would deny me the tane because my skin was looking better...well....he goes "so your skin is definitely looking WORSE than last time i saw you". haha guss i didnt need to worry about that after all.

So it kinda sucks because its been too loong since i got my last pregnancy test so now i have to do another one today and then wait for the results to come back and THEN I can get my prescription.

My derm gave me some samples of this cream called serave (moisturizer) so ill try that and see if it works beter than cetaphil.

Question: Whats the whole deal with the blood tests, im very confused about it. So I know i have to do this pregnancy test and then once i get my results back i can pick up my prescription. Now my next derm appointment is july 6th, so when should i start the accutane? I want to make sure i wont have to go any days without it between derm appointments. Second question when do i get the next blood test? Is it supposed to be a few days before your appointment or what??

I am so freekin thankful for this web site. I like my derm and all but i feel like he has no time for me and i always leave his office confused as hell.

NikKia: What kind of purpose do you use. I was looking at them at the store the other day but i wasnt sure which one to get as a lot of them had salicylic acid and i dont want any anti acne face washes, just a moisturizing one thats gonna get my makeup off.

Oh and i totally feel you on it having to foam. I find that "CREAM" cleansers dont work as well as foamy ones!!

I will definitely check out that web site!!! I'm gonna go accutane supply shopping before work and get some head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner, systane eye drops, and tons of aquaphor. Im already gonna take my centrum, fish oil, zinc, and b-complex vitamins....are there any more that are good to take while on tane?

once again THANK GOD for this web site....and SORRY for my long posts. I type fast and tend to type everything on my mind. :)

Question: Whats the whole deal with the blood tests, im very confused about it. So I know i have to do this pregnancy test and then once i get my results back i can pick up my prescription. Now my next derm appointment is july 6th, so when should i start the accutane? I want to make sure i wont have to go any days without it between derm appointments. Second question when do i get the next blood test? Is it supposed to be a few days before your appointment or what??

Hehe, you are going to the derm on my birthday!

I would think since June has already started, begin taking your accutane ASAP. Since your next derm appt. is less than 30 days from your accutane start-date, you won't have to worry about missing doses. You would only have to worry about missing doses if, say, you saw your derm on July 6th and then couldn't get another appt. until after August 6th.

NikKia: What kind of purpose do you use. I was looking at them at the store the other day but i wasnt sure which one to get as a lot of them had salicylic acid and i dont want any anti acne face washes, just a moisturizing one thats gonna get my makeup off.

I use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, it comes in a clear bottle with a blue label, made by Johnson and Johnson. I have been using this for a few months, it's the only thing that's been gentle enough for my skin.

Although, I am ordering from online the Botanical Buffing Beads from Peter Thomas Roth. I have used his glycolic acid line in the past and really liked it, so I am hoping to have good luck again. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about moisturizers, I want to go to CVS and try to find a drugstore brand I like better than Cetaphil, but I have to make myself leave my house first. :snooty:

Just went to walgreens and bought 72 bucks worth of supplies!!! IT was fun!!

*I got head and shoulders 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner

*aquaphor

*eucerin calming cream (for body lotion)

*Nivea kiss of moisture chap stick

*aveeno foaming gentle cleanser (OMG i am excited about this. I just used it and it was *extremely sucessfull in removing my makeup!!!! Its fragrance free and supposed to be soothing for irritated skin)

*systane eye drops (that shit was like 19 bucks!!!)

My derm gave me a sample of this moisturizer called SeraVe....OMG you guys. you all need to get it. I FREEKING LOVE IT. its sooo moisturizing and not AT ALL greasy. Like i could put my makeup right over it without shine. I am in love with it and need to figure out where i can get it at a store. If that fails ill buy it online. I LOVE IT!!!

So am i leaving anything out that i will need???

What kind of vitamins are you all taking??

I am soooooo excited to start accutane. I think im gonna be starting on friday. Just depends when those lab results come back. YAY i cant wait until i am over the IB. Oh and my dr. gave me prednisone to take for 10 days. Is anyone else on an antibiotic for the IB?

hi i read that you've been on retin-a topical too, and it messed you up. how long did you use retin-a and how bad was the effect? i'm on my accutane too b/c of this retin-a i tried :(

Hey Girl, glad you found a mouisturizer that works for you. I think the best think to do is to extra mouisturize at night so that your skin stay "moist" lol. I use the following vitamins below and I drink tons of water and barely no carbonated drinks. I have had good results with dryness only occuring when I first started and barely (like never) since then. So whatever I am taking, it must be helping some how.

Hey Cece, it's great to hear that dryness wasn't a problem for you. That's awesome! I'm taking Vitamin E and a spoonful of flaxseed oil daily, hopefully that will take care of me. Although, I'm kind of hoping my skin dries up a *little* bit. I'm sick of being so oily! Was your skin oily before you started?

Firefly- I was on retin A a long time ago. Probly like 5 years ago or so. It messed me up soooo bad. My skin broke out everywhere horribly and didnt really stop breaking out. Plus it just made my skin WAY to sensitive, it was always red and dry and itchy. I hated i!! :)

CeCe- I am definitely going to try and drink at least 2 liters of water a day and no soda. I never drink soda though so it shouldnt be a problem for me. Now as for the vitamins you are taking....is fish oil the samething as omega 3-6-9?? Also i read somewhere that you arent supposed to take vitamin E while on tane because it somehow regulates the vitamin A in your body...did you ask your derm about it?? What is biotin? Do you think its okay for me to take centrum if it has vitmain A or should I just eliminate it?

Well I am pretty sure I will be starting accutane tomorrow. I have all the supplies i think i will need I just want to get some more vitamins and go shopping for food. I am going to start being vegan once i start accutane. I want to loose weight and get healthy. Plus i dont want to take any chances of aving to get off tane half way through because of cholesterol or something stupid like that.

Well I am pretty sure I will be starting accutane tomorrow. I have all the supplies i think i will need I just want to get some more vitamins and go shopping for food. I am going to start being vegan once i start accutane. I want to loose weight and get healthy. Plus i dont want to take any chances of aving to get off tane half way through because of cholesterol or something stupid like that.

Oh thanks for reminding me i was gonna go get some oatmeal and im gonna eat that for breakfast every morning. I wouldnt be that hardcoe to where i wouldnt eat honey!! haha thats kinda stupid.

I read this book called "skinny bitch" where they talk about how good being vegan is for you and how bad animal products are. It grosed me out because they were talking about the way they treat the animals and all the crap that is in milk and stuff it was disgusting. Plus milk and dairy products are really bad for acne so i was gonna cut that out anyways. I dont like meat at all so that wont be a problem.

I'm excited about it. I want to loose about 50lbs and i want to get healthy!!! This is just going to be like a huge makeover for me!!

Hi Shelley,

I just came across for Accutane log and wanted to say hi!

Ive been through a similar struggle with acne as you - years and years of trying otc and prescriptions meds, antibiotics, pro-active, etc. but nothing worked. Im also waiting to start Accutane - I had my first round of blood work, pregnancy test, etc. on May 27th and am due to go back for the second round of testing and prescription on June 29th. I AM SO EXCITED to start Accutane! I've postponed doing this treatment since I was a teenager (I'm 26...) out of fear of the side effects, hoping there was something else less serious out there that would clear my skin, and just getting used to having "bad" skin. But now I'm grown and tired of having horrible acne! I'm excited that I could have normal skin in 6 months and not have to worry about acne ever again!

I'll be on 40mg the first month and 80mg the last 4-5 months. Im 165 so it does seem a tad high for my weight, but I guess my derm is erring on the side of caution so it doesn't come back? I'll have to ask. My derm also said that the generic brands dont work as well as Accutane...not sure why, but I just hope my insurance covers it!

I already use a lot of moisturizers for my lips (Im addicted!) and skin. I'm a big fan of Kiehls #1 lip balm with spf 4 on regular days and Lip Medex when my lips are chapped. I also like Aveeno body lotion daily and Palmers Cocoa Butter Cream when my skin is really dry. Ive heard Emu oil can help fade scarring during treatment (you have to buy it online I think). I live in HOTlanta so hopefully the summer humidity will keep my from getting too dry.

I really hope I dont have a bad IB...but my skin has been so embarassing the last few months and has recently been looking better, so I feel slightly prepared for that. I'm particularly scared of the possibility of hair thinning loss...I have dreads that Ive started and maintained on my own for 7 years! I would be so sad if my hair started to change...I guess I'll just be extra gentle with it!

Anyway, i'll be checking back since we're on about the same schedule! good luck!

OH MY GAWWWWWWWWWWWD

I just had THE most annoying experienc EVER trying to pick up my prescription. First I went to wal mart, they dont carry sotret. Then I went to rite-aid...they dont either. Then I called target and they told me they carried it so i went over there.....they didnt have any. Then I called 2 more targets and they didnt have it. Then I called another target and they said they did have it so I went over there. I gave the girl my info and she asked for my INSURANCE card so i gave it to her. She told me it would be half and hour so i left and came back 45 minutes....stil wasnt ready....walked around the store a little, came back and she said my info wasnt coming up for my insurance, she said she needed my dads birthday so she could enter it in and find my info....im like bitch i dont know what year my dad was born.....so i had to call my dad, he didnt answer...called my step mom....no answer....called my mom....no answer....finally called my grandma and she told me the year. I told the girl that and she entered it in and said she still couldnt find it. Then she goes "wait, this is your insurance card, i needed your prescription card". I was like OKAY well thanks for telling me that earlier bi-atch!!!!. SOOOOO i give her my insurance card and then she tells me shes not authorized to give me the accutane cuz i didnt answer my questions on ipledge (i did though). So i call my derm and they tell me to call the 1 800 number. I call the 1 800 number and they need my ipledge number which i dont have with me. I go home to get my ipledge number. Then the battery on my phone dies so i cant call ipledge, so i go online instead. SO i figured out the reason the questions werent working is cuz my derm had my methods of birth control as birth control first and abstinence second and It needed to be the other way around. Anyways i finally got my prescripion but it was probly the most annoying thing EVER!!!! if you read all of that.....:) haha

AAAAAAnyways i finally got my prescription so i will start taking it TOMORROW!!!! woo hooo

questions:

What kind of food do you take your tane with?

Can I take centrum if it has vitamin A in it?

Peaches: Yay thats exciting!!! Let us know when you start. Oh and my derm said the same thing about the generics but he said sotret is the only one he will prescribe. I have heard that they all work pretty much the same.