Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glitterveins

Face absoluely RIDDLED with these things.. -UPDATE- pg 2

Ever since I can remember I've had little bumps on my face. Some times worse than others, but in the passed 4 years or so I have noticed them becoming more and more frequent and their population has increased. I get them a lot when I touch my face as well, even just minor things like brushing my hair out of my face I freak out because I'm scared I'm going to get more of these bumps.

I've picked at them numerous times because I get so frustrated. This, obviously, inflamed them and they'd turn into pimples and then I'd notice even more clumps of them.

I've started to avoid certain public situations because I know that the lighting will be bad, and I don't want people to see them. In some light, I look fine, but obviously with these things in MOST light, you can see them. I've also trained myself to not turn my head at certain angles in certain light because it will exaggerate my pores and make my skin look extremely rough.

Obviously, it's a problem.

So I went to my dermatologist. Honestly, he seemed more concerned with just yapping away on his voice recorder than helping me. He didn't examine my skin fully, and in fact, when he first walked in he said "I don't see anything wrong with your skin."

This is what he told me to do:

Wash with Cetaphil every day and night.

Apply Clindamycin Phosphate Topical every OTHER night at bedtime.

Wash with Hibiclens only on Thursdays and Mondays.

He also gave me Oracea, which is a medicne for roseacea, though I don't have it.

I've incorporated "Help Me" by Philosophy (it's a retinoid) and use "Hope in a Jar" by them as a moisturizer in the day.

I exfoliate with the Asprin mask.

I last saw him about 6 weeks ago and am just so tired of seeing them there.. I don't know what to do. I went to a derm as a last resort because I tend to be very independent, and even that didn't help me. I feel as if there's no hope for my skin.

My mirrors in my house are all covered because I can't stand to see the sight of myself.

I've attached a bunch of pictures. As you can see, my entire face is just completely riddled with these things (the camera really doesn't justify). These ARE closed comedones, right? Not a fungus? What about milia? I feel like I have a combination of so many things.. :/

I'm also absolutely petrified to use something that's going to make my skin "purge", as I have SO many of them, I know it wouldn't be pretty. I also know my urge to pick would be heightened since I'll see my face covered. My inflamed pimples seem to take ages to go away (about a week), and they ALWAYS leave red marks (I have some over 7 months old). No matter if I pick at them or not. Always..

But if that's what needs to be done then..

Please help me.. I'm suffering and my life is completely at a stand still because of this..

thank you so much for reading.

More pictures:

post-102750-1241665283_thumb.jpg

post-102750-1241665309_thumb.jpg

post-102750-1241665283_thumb.jpg

post-102750-1241665309_thumb.jpg

I have never had a problem like this, but it looks to me that you have some serious cyst. Your dermatologist must be very uneducated to let this go so easily! I once had a cyst on my hip, I dont have acne or ever had pimples/cysts but one day I noticed one on my hip and wanted it gone quickly, it looked just like this. What I did was ran a hot bath, steaming hot bath with epsom salt in, epsom salt is a very good bathing agent that brings down inflammation of muscle, and tissue under the skin. Soak for an hour or so in the epsom salt, and scrum your back with a loofa, not a sea sponge loofa as those are way too abrasive and may hurt, but use a loofa brush scrubber, with soft to medium rough bristles and an acne soap with at least 10% benzoyl peroxide, if you are allergic or have bad reaction to benzoyl, use a strong hydroxy salycilic acid based wash like paula's choice or neutrogena pore minimizing cleanser. You need to use a generous amount so that it cleans your problem area fully, and isnt ruined by too much water. You can do this and see if it goes away on its own, you can also go to the salon and they will do chemical peels, you can buy chemical peel to use at home from amazon.com, best is the 30% salycilic acid peels, they may be painful but they work wonders.

thats comedonal acne.

i used to have a major attack of those myself.

i find that a change in diet and drinking lots of water helped reduce them a great deal.

oh yeah..and you can get them from over irritating your skin.

thats comedonal acne.

i find that a change in diet and drinking lots of water helped reduce them a great deal.

Did you get rid of yours completely? How did you do it?

Glycolic acid seems like it'd help, but how long would you suspect the purging process?

Thank you both for taking the time to read. I'm obsessively checking this thread, lol.

thats comedonal acne.

Glycolic acid seems like it'd help, but how long would you suspect the purging process?

Thank you both for taking the time to read. I'm obsessively checking this thread, lol.

Definitely looks like comedonal acne. Its the type I have had problems with before (only get a few spots here and there now). You do need something to exfoliate your skin - mandelic acid, or maybe an OTC retinoid. A gentle cleasing scrub might help too. How sensitive is your skin? There is a good noninflamed acne regimen that my esthy posted on this website. I'll look around for it and post a link for you if I find it.

There are also some potentially problematic products in your regimen. Gotta run now - but I will write more later.

thats comedonal acne.

Definitely looks like comedonal acne. Its the type I have had problems with before (only get a few spots here and there now). You do need something to exfoliate your skin - mandelic acid, or maybe an OTC retinoid. A gentle cleasing scrub might help too. How sensitive is your skin? There is a good noninflamed acne regimen that my esthy posted on this website. I'll look around for it and post a link for you if I find it.

There are also some potentially problematic products in your regimen. Gotta run now - but I will write more later.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be patiently waiting for you to get back. :)

In the mean time, I'll try and answer some questions I unknowingly left out. I know they're important ones too, sorry about that.

My skin is very sensitive. I'll get bumps if I touch a certain area too much throughout the day, or rub too hard. Whenever my face itches I'll grab a Kleenex and pray that I don't aggravate my skin. I'm so depressed (I'm on Welbutrin) because of this.. I'm so thankful though that this board exists, you guys really are wonderful.

I am in the process of re-reading (yup, second go around) of LionQueen's thread and saw that a good exfoliant is Paula's Choice Beta Hydroxdy Acid. Right now I use Philosophy's Home Delivery Peel, but it sounds to me like it is a "manual" exfoliant (SnowQueen taught me that!), and really chemical exfoliants are better suited for my type of acne.

I'd like something that is anti-aging too, which is really the main reason I bought Help Me. The fact that it promised to help de-congest my pores as well as fight signs of aging (I'm 20, and currently in the process of trying to quit smoking) was so thrilling. Here is the link for the product, I dunno if you want to read the ingredients or.. (sorry I'm so naive to this. I appreciate the patience). philosophy.com/web/store/prod_help-me______25622

And here's the link to the moisturizer I use as well: philosophy.com/web/store/prod_hope-in-a-jar____47554_44051_78222

Thinking about it.. my derm really pissed me off. Why did I pay $30? He didn't even examine my skin under a light, NOTHING. I had a ton of questions prepared for him, and really he was pretty dismissive. Ugh. I should've just saved myself money and posted here first.

eta: Also, I live in Las Vegas. Climate here is extremely dry and hot. It was 98 today!

Glitterviens you are not alone!! I have the same issue (with the occasional cyst which REALLY sucks). I hate going under certain lighting cuz I know they are more noticeable then. I was prescribed Retin A by my dermatologist which seems to be helping a bit but one thing that is great is the baby brush method that was mentioned above. Every morning when I was my face in the shower, I use a gentle face wash by dermalogica and the exfoliating brush. It makes my skin feel great and helps to reduce the bumps. I'll post links of the products below:

http://dermalogica.com/us/products.html#/p...ting-face-brush

http://dermalogica.com/us/products.html#/p...alming-cleanser

Good Luck!

Thank you! When can I use the baby brush, when I just wash my face daily (AM, or PM)?

So I've been researching and reading my little heart out, trying to digest and gather all the information here.

I've come to the conclusion that I either want to try Madelic Acid, or Paula's Choice BHA's. I think I'd have better results with BHA's.. those are the ones that exfoliate deep within your pores right? Or is that AHA? Sorry! :redface:

I'm just very confused on WHAT to use in conjunction with the product I choose (or rather, am told to use by you guys. I'm pretty much going to do whatever you guy think) to achieve the maximum result. I have no idea which cleanser to use, or moisturizers, retinoids, nothing. I'm very confused on that, as I don't want to negate the prospect of getting clear with a regimen if it's not completely solid, you know?

(Specifically, I am confused with what to use with Madelic Acid, as I know Paula has an entire line to use with her BHA's.)

I use the brush in the AM in the shower to get rid of my flakes from the Retin A that I use at night. I use it every morning but some people say that you can do it 3 times a week. I HAVE to do it every morning because Retin A really makes your skin peel and that doesn't look cute when I put makeup on hahahaha.

A good affordable cleanser is Purpose Gentle wash. I found it worked better than Cetaphil. When I used Cetaphil I got more of those bumps. As for AHA or BHA's, I've heard great reviews on both. Many people on here swear by the AHA+ that you can get right on this website. But many people really like the Paula's Choice one too. Sorry I don't have much experience in that area :(

I have never had a problem like this, but it looks to me that you have some serious cyst. Your dermatologist must be very uneducated to let this go so easily! I once had a cyst on my hip, I dont have acne or ever had pimples/cysts but one day I noticed one on my hip and wanted it gone quickly, it looked just like this. What I did was ran a hot bath, steaming hot bath with epsom salt in, epsom salt is a very good bathing agent that brings down inflammation of muscle, and tissue under the skin. Soak for an hour or so in the epsom salt, and scrum your back with a loofa, not a sea sponge loofa as those are way too abrasive and may hurt, but use a loofa brush scrubber, with soft to medium rough bristles and an acne soap with at least 10% benzoyl peroxide, if you are allergic or have bad reaction to benzoyl, use a strong hydroxy salycilic acid based wash like paula's choice or neutrogena pore minimizing cleanser. You need to use a generous amount so that it cleans your problem area fully, and isnt ruined by too much water. You can do this and see if it goes away on its own, you can also go to the salon and they will do chemical peels, you can buy chemical peel to use at home from amazon.com, best is the 30% salycilic acid peels, they may be painful but they work wonders.

Have you ever seen a cystic pimple before?! That is not even close to being a cyst

so do these bumps stay long term, or do they go away after a few days, or is it a case of you having these suckers non stop, or do they get aggravated very easily from brushing it your sleeve, arm etc?

As Willow said, that is comedonal acne. And I understand very well how frustrating it is.

For me, the magical product was Green Cream. I did purge, but I didn't get horrible pimples while purging ... just small ones. Mostly, it was just the comedones surfacing.

If you can afford it, I would recommend GC before either SA or mandelic. Here's what I'd do:

-- Get a gentle, pH-balanced cleanser. Linda Sy has unfortunately closed her doors, but Vivant, Paula's Choice and Diana Yvonne all have good cleansers.

-- Get a baby brush for gentle manual exfoliation. GC will probably make your skin flake and peel at first, and this is a great way to smooth things out.

-- Start with Green Cream Level 6, on this schedule:

First week -- once every 3 nights

Second week -- once every 2 nights

Third week -- 2 nights on, 1 night off

Fourth week -- nightly

Your first bottle should last you 4-6 weeks. By the end of it, if you can use GC nightly with no problems, switch to GC 9 and repeat the schedule above.

Once you can use GC 9 nightly, your skin should be well on the way to improvement.

At any time along the way, if you get red, sore, or "sunburned" feeling, do NOT use GC again until your skin feels normal. Then pick up the schedule where you left off.

A great moisturizer is the Diana Yvonne Red Tea serum (rooibos & hyaluronic acid) mixed with a drop of the Ultra Emu oil. Emu oil helps with healing and reduces inflammation. If you apply this on top of GC, be sure to wait 30-45 minutes to allow the retinol to absorb properly into your skin.

If you decide you want to use Paula's Choice BHAs in tandem with GC, you can start by using the BHA on days when you don't use GC. As your skin gets used to GC, you may want to use the BHA in the AM and Green Cream at night.

Eek!! I just realized I never got back to you about your products. I think at least one of those Philosophy products contains a pore clogging ingredient. The reviews on makeupalley.com are pretty mixed on these products - some people do have problems with them.

Did you notice any increase in bumps since you started the Clindamycin? Some brands of that medication contain a pore clogging ingredient - its the medication that gave me my lovely case of comedonal acne.

Also, even though derms often recommend Cetaphil and some people here like it (many don't though), it contains problematic ingredients too. Some people say that it does make them break out.

Man, you guys are awesome.. I'm so happy I found this place and finally posted.

Polka, well it's kind of a mix actually. Some have been there for YEARS (I mean, since I was like 15, and I'm 20 now), and others just pop up if I touch my face in excess (like, 2-3 times?). Omg, if I have an itch on my face, I freak out and try and think about someting else because I'm scared MORE will come up! It's terrible having such paranoia, ugh..

LionQueen, thanks so much for replying. I'm going to buy Green Cream and pick up Paula's Choice cleanser (The One Step Face Cleanser for oily/combo skin, is that fine?), as well as her BHA (should I get the 1% or 2%?. I'm thinking 2, I read 1 is a little bit weak in some cases.. gel or liquid?). I think I'll use both of those in tandem, I know I read a ton of good stuff about that and when I don't use the GC I'll have something else to speed things along and really get the process going.

Will buy an exfoliation brush as well as Diana Yvonne Red Tea serum. How often do I use the brush, every time I cleanse or weekly in conjunction with cleansing?

I know I read before that waiting is a big part of the process so the medicine can absorb into your pores.. so I cleanse, apply GC (or BHA, considering the day until I can graduate to daily use with both), then wait 30 minutes, THEN apply the moisturizers right? Just making sure I got everything covered, I'm bound to do this right!

I'm nervous about purging since my comedones look so deep into the skin, but F it. The 2-3 weeks of purging can be handled and will be appreciated once my skin is smooth!

Can I use GC to spot treat if I get a bad break-out during the initial purging? Or should I use BHA for spot treating?

ETA; just bought the Green Cream.. can't buy the rest until tomorrow when I put money into the bank. When it gets here, can I just start using it with Cetaphil until the other products arrive? Or should I wait for everything to get here?

Willow, YES! Clindamycin definitely seemed to help for a few weeks, THEN my face turned into even MORE of a disaster zone!

Thank you for the link, I read in another thread just how much that helped people, so I'm going to bookmark it and if this regimine doesn't seem to help, I'm going to try what your esthi proposed. What a nice lady she seems too coming here, did you refer her to the boards?

As soon as I get my products I am going to keep updating this thread with weekly progress for other potential people out there who need some help and motivation.<3 :)

LionQueen, thanks so much for replying. I'm going to buy Green Cream and pick up Paula's Choice cleanser (The One Step Face Cleanser for oily/combo skin, is that fine?), as well as her BHA (should I get the 1% or 2%?. I'm thinking 2, I read 1 is a little bit weak in some cases.. gel or liquid?). I think I'll use both of those in tandem, I know I read a ton of good stuff about that and when I don't use the GC I'll have something else to speed things along and really get the process going.

You should be able to start with the 2%. If you have concerns, order samples of both. Liquid is easier to layer, but some prefer the gel .... again, don't hesitate to get samples to be sure.

Will buy an exfoliation brush as well as Diana Yvonne Red Tea serum. How often do I use the brush, every time I cleanse or weekly in conjunction with cleansing?

No more than twice a week to begin with. See how your skin reacts to it. There's a long thread about the "baby brush method" somewhere on the board .... see if you can find it.

I know I read before that waiting is a big part of the process so the medicine can absorb into your pores.. so I cleanse, apply GC (or BHA, considering the day until I can graduate to daily use with both), then wait 30 minutes, THEN apply the moisturizers right? Just making sure I got everything covered, I'm bound to do this right!

Correct ... you need a 30 minute waiting time after each of those products ...

I'm nervous about purging since my comedones look so deep into the skin, but F it. The 2-3 weeks of purging can be handled and will be appreciated once my skin is smooth!

Can I use GC to spot treat if I get a bad break-out during the initial purging? Or should I use BHA for spot treating?

GC doesn't work as a spot treatment, and I don't think the BHAs will do much either. For a spot treatment, you want something to dry up just that one spot. You might try a product with BP, sulfur, or tea tree oil ..... maybe somebody else has some suggestions here?

ETA; just bought the Green Cream.. can't buy the rest until tomorrow when I put money into the bank. When it gets here, can I just start using it with Cetaphil until the other products arrive? Or should I wait for everything to get here?

Start using it right away, on the schedule I gave you above. The sooner your skin gets used to it, the better.

good luck!

Okay, I ordered the BHA 2%, the GC (it's going to be here tomorrow according to my lovely tracking number), cleanser, brush, and the Red Tea Serum.

I ended up getting the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser instead of the One Step. It seems like it'd be a good pH balancing cleanser and not rough on my skin.

I wasn't able to afford the Emu Oil, though. >_< Can't afford it right now, but if it's crucial to the regimen then I'll scrounge up the cash.

So, about how much product do I use of the GC and the BHA? (finger length? dime size?) and the serum? (one drop, two)

Also, does the GC help with fine lines? I hope so.. I know it's a retinoid and it helps with anti-aging but, what about just a few lines around the mouth?

Thanks, LQ. I'm going to keep you guys updated on my progress.

The directions for product use are on the respective websites or on different vendors' websites.

Green Cream how to use it from http://skincarerx.com/Green-Cream-Retinol---Level-3.html :

If you have never used a retinoid or your skin is sensitive to topical treatments, you should test a small area of your face and then, wait 24 hours for any kind of reaction. If no reaction, you should apply a small amount to your face once a week for 2 to 3 weeks. Next, apply Green Cream® 3 times a week for a month. Ultimately, your goal should be to work up to applying Green Cream® every other night. Be patient as your skin adapts to a retinol treatment. Even with infrequent applications, you should see some results. Also, it is best that you start with Level 6, (level 3 for sensitive skin) Green Cream®.

After gentle cleansing with a mild soap or cleanser, apply a small amount to the entire face, initially avoiding the eye and neck areas. Start using Green Cream® every other night for 1 to 2 weeks and gradually increase to once or twice daily as tolerated. For maximum benefit, use Green Cream in the evenings when possible as this product can easily be inactivated by light.

Occasionally, a burning or stinging sensation may be felt during the first few weeks of use. Redness or a mild rash can also develop. Discontinue use of the product for a few days and apply a bland moisturizer or mild hydrocortisone cream or lotion as needed. The latter should be discontinued when symptoms are improved.

Flaking may occur since dull sun-damaged cells are being shed and new, younger cells are being stimulated. As needed, using a mild exfoliant followed by a moisturizer can help shed the peeling skin.

So, about how much product do I use of the GC and the BHA? (finger length? dime size?) and the serum? (one drop, two)

Also, does the GC help with fine lines? I hope so.. I know it's a retinoid and it helps with anti-aging but, what about just a few lines around the mouth?

Enough product to thinly cover your whole face. In the case of GC, that's about one squirt.

Over time, GC does help to smooth skin and soften fine lines. It can't do much to change expression lines, though.

Wynne, thanks a bunch for the note on hydrocortisone as well as the informative links!

Enough product to thinly cover your whole face. In the case of GC, that's about one squirt.

Over time, GC does help to smooth skin and soften fine lines. It can't do much to change expression lines, though.

As you exfoliate, those things will eventually turn into large blackheads that can be easily extracted. If you try to extract before this stage it will not work, the pore will fill back up and more will appear. Leave them alone, only try to extract when they reach the skin surface!

glitterveins, I hope your regimen is working for you. I just wanted to add that there might be another reason your skin got worse after using the Clindamycin. It's an antibiotic and if you have fungal folliculitis, antibiotics will make it worse. Your acne does look comedonal, but lots of small bumps are also a trademark of fungal folliculitis:

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2005/Apr/_images/cme_2_pic4.jpg

If nothing seems to work, try washing with Nizoral for a week and see if that helps.

BtW Green Cream is awesome! :)

SO I just wanted to update you guys on my progress.

My skin is looking miles and miles better. Within the first week I noticed my skin looked less rough, but there wasn't any real change in the blockage. I'm on the middle of my second week now, and my skin looks RIDICULOUSLY better! Not 100% clear, I still have many blocked pores, but the tone, texture, and red marks my skin had are lightening up very fast! It would usually take weeks for a red mark to disappear, but now they're going away very quickly.

I DID have minor flaking during the first week. I only really noticed when I put on make-up though, and haven't since then. But I suspect my skin isn't as flaky. I have been trying not to touch my face at all (though omg, does it feel soft!).

Also, I noticed my pores look different. I think it's because the junk is coming to the service, and then being swept away with the brush. My skin doesn't feel irritated, the only time it did is when I tried to rush things and incorporated the BHA at night with the GC. Though I didn't get extremely irritated (my face actually felt sore in some places.. like I had been sunburned. I haven't been in the sun though), I figured it best if I just stuck to BHA in the morning and GC at night.. let them both do their own individual thing.

I do believe I am purging a bit, but I'm trying not to pick. Instead, I exfoliate with the baby brush lightly twice a day, morning and night, before I apply my products. The brush pretty much sweeps away any little microzits that have a white head, and they go down by the end of the day. Here is what I'm doing:

AM-

Light exfoliation with baby brush

Wash with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser

Apply BHA 2%

*wait 30 minutes*

Apply Diana Yvonne Red Tea Serum

PM-

Light exfoliation with baby brush, usually in the shower

Wash with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser

Apply Green Cream Level 6

I will continue to update you guys and will even post pictures once I feel my skin is at least 80% clear of the blocked pores so you can see the difference!