Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm very interested in giving up my skin picking habit, but having a strong interest in giving it up doesn't seem to be enough. When I pick, my skin looks terrible. Also, I cut into my sleep time since I usually pick before bed and again first thing in the morning. What do you do to distract yourself from the opportunity to pick? Has anyone successfully given up the habit altogether?

I have such a problem with it too and not only that, but just touching my face in general. This is really bad because I use computer keyboards all day in work and they have more germs than a toilet seat. I'm thinking of whipping out my nintendo ds again to keep my hands busy.

I think I have .... but it helps that I live with someone. He's not afraid to give me crap if he notices that I've been hard on my face - which today means using toner (which temporarily makes it red). There's a good chance I might lapse if I wasn't so conscious about him noticing.

It's good of you to analyze your vulnerable moments. I only realized my skin picking was a problem in my mid 30's - yes, I honestly thought I had severe acne. Since learning it was a minor form of OCD (I also chronically pull my hair) I've taken steps to avoid the circumstances which allow me to torment my skin. I've come to recognize that I have great impulse control in every other aspect of my life .... except my face. I can talk myself out of having another bowl of icecream, buying an unnecessary item of clothing, calling someone whom I shouldn't. But I couldn't help picking at something on my face.

- nightly washing routine done without bathroom light on. Or install a dimmer switch, and keep lights low. Or wash up while taking a shower, so no time spent at mirror.

- exercise. Helps alleviate stress or nervous energy built up from the day .... which is what my mind festers about while I was busy picking. I now love the sense of going to bed exhausted, and little urge to pick.

- oddly enough, weeding the garden or sorting a big bucket of change. It's the same sort of mindless purging, and results in the same satisfaction when finished. Without the guilt.

Something I've never tried, but would do now if I could relive my teen years - if you live alone .... take a photo of yourself after you've done the damage. Print it, and tape it to your mirror. Remind yourself in advance of the results, perhaps you won't do it.

I love the helpful advice that comes from people who have real true experiences with dealing with acne picking and squeezing. I admit I do pick at and squeeze my acne at times, knowing that I risk my skin taking longer to heal...I try not to look in the mirror to much on a daily basis, my acne always seems to hit me the worst right when i'm about to take my final exams in college...! WHATS UP WITH THAT!!!