Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, My name is Angela and after reading through everyone else's posts on this site I decided to finally post something. Im a 19 yr old female from NZ and am about to start isotane (maybe in a wk?!). Im sooo glad this website exists, sometimes it feels like im fighting this acne battle all alone n that noone undrstands..My acne used to be extreemly mild, and then I woke up one day and bam i was breaking out craazily. So my doc put me on a bcp called levlen, and it stuffed up my skin soo badly. After 3 months on the pill i dcided to go to the derm and she thought itd be best for me to go on isotane. At first i was like :dance: but nw im quite anxious after reading so much bout the harsh side effects and how bad the IB is etc... Also the thing bout how ur red marks dont heal?! I HATE red marks, more than i hate the actual acne..i think. yeah well anyway, hi to all and if anyone is starting any form of accutane right about now, please let me know :)

Also one question, recently i startd gettn heaps of shallow scars (like tiny holes?) and was wondering if there was any kinda cream or peel i could use while on isotane to improve them and the red marks too.

Well thanks!

Im from NZ too!!!!!!

Im on day 49 for isotane and my acne is clearing really well.

I do have red marks left over from previous acne but its slowly fading away and my skin looks way better than it was 49 days ago. Ive heard that once you finish accutane, the red marks disappear pretty quickly and for the shallow scars, its best to avoid using harsh cleansers and lotions as creams and peels for scars tend to be pretty harsh on the skin especially since accutane makes it more sensitive. So creams might aggravate the skin more.

IBs can be pretty bad but your skin will get worse before it gets better. One thing that you'll notice quite soon is that your skin is less oily (i had SUPER oily skin but now its reduced a lot).

If isotane clears acne and prevents future breakouts(after the IB), wouldnt it prevent future scars as well? So i guess i could say its better to be on it than not be on it in the long run.

My derm recommended that i get treatment for my scars after isotane so im just gonna sit this through and wait till im finished (im on a 6 month course)

Anyways good luck! :)

Hey! thanks for the encouragement! :) Yeah i agree about the too harsh for ur skin but im kinda scared cos my skin is always realllly dry so im wondering how dry it will be when im on isotane. And i guess im just down bout the scars cos lwithin 3 mnths since iv bin on birth control pills, iv gotten like 20 lil holey scar things..and its just depressing to know that i cant work on them till i get off isotane. I havent even started my course! haha. Im glad to hear that your skin is clearing up though, 49 days wow so that's about a month and a half, i hope my skin clears up that fast! Goodluck with everything :)

Hi Superwuman! I just wanted to offer a word of encouragement about the red marks. I hate them too...and I was surprised to find that during my course, my red marks actually got better instead of worse. I'm pretty sure you can minimize red marks by religiously wearing sunscreen (I don't know about you, but many people find their red marks get worse with sun exposure) and moisturizer. Since Accutane increases your cell turnover so much, it can actually work in your favor as long as you keep irritation to a minimum. Everybody's different, but you could be one of the lucky ones So, take heart! :)

Hey! thanks for the encouragement! :) Yeah i agree about the too harsh for ur skin but im kinda scared cos my skin is always realllly dry so im wondering how dry it will be when im on isotane. And i guess im just down bout the scars cos lwithin 3 mnths since iv bin on birth control pills, iv gotten like 20 lil holey scar things..and its just depressing to know that i cant work on them till i get off isotane. I havent even started my course! haha. Im glad to hear that your skin is clearing up though, 49 days wow so that's about a month and a half, i hope my skin clears up that fast! Goodluck with everything :)

Hi again!

dryness depends on what dose youre going on. ive read some great reviews on jojoba oil and how it can combat the dryness and get rid of flakes that may appear during isotane.

im not sure where they sell it in NZ but theyll probably sell it in natural health stores.

About the scars, yea i know what you're going through.. i have heaps of them on my cheeks.. but like WhiterShade said, my red marks seem to be getting better now! :razz:

Dont get discouraged if it doesnt seem to get better cos it will after a little while.

Good luck :)

Wintershade: Thanks for that! Im trying to keep my hopes up like you said I might be one of the lucky ones! :D I find that the sun doesn't really affect my red marks but it's strange cos my face looks and feels alot worse with moisturiser on and the red marks look especially worse after i have a hot shower. My skin is already dry so i guess il have to get used to using lots of moisturiser and avoiding hot water when im on isotane. Anyway thanks for keeping me positive and congratulations on getting clear!

Ocean27: I'll look into the jojoba oil, hopefully it will combat any flakiness I may get! And yeah im trying not to let the lil scars bother me too much, avoiding any future scars is the most important thing and I can deal with the scars after the acne! What part of nz you live in? hopefully we can discuss options to do with scar improvement available to us here (Im thinking it wil be quite different from U.S, U.K etc) but anyway thanks for the tips! im not sure what dose im gonna be on yet actually, are you taking isotane and what dose did you start off with?

Ocean27: I'll look into the jojoba oil, hopefully it will combat any flakiness I may get! And yeah im trying not to let the lil scars bother me too much, avoiding any future scars is the most important thing and I can deal with the scars after the acne! What part of nz you live in? hopefully we can discuss options to do with scar improvement available to us here (Im thinking it wil be quite different from U.S, U.K etc) but anyway thanks for the tips! im not sure what dose im gonna be on yet actually, are you taking isotane and what dose did you start off with?

i live in auckland :)

im on 20mg at the moment i think my derms gonna keep me on the same does for the six months.

itd be cool if we could discuss options on scar improvement, the ones i know so far are laser therapies which sound kinda scary lol

Me 2! I think my derms gona keep me on 20mg the whole time too cos she did say id be on a low dose the whole time. arghh yes lasers sound like a bit too much for me! I've been reading a bit about lactic acid peels and just chemical peels in general. think il get a few done at beauty salons (theyr only about 100bux compared to a lot more for lasers etc.) and then buy some of the ones you can do at home on your own. If my scarring stays I'l ask my derm about different procedures available. Which derm do you go to?

Me 2! I think my derms gona keep me on 20mg the whole time too cos she did say id be on a low dose the whole time. arghh yes lasers sound like a bit too much for me! I've been reading a bit about lactic acid peels and just chemical peels in general. think il get a few done at beauty salons (theyr only about 100bux compared to a lot more for lasers etc.) and then buy some of the ones you can do at home on your own. If my scarring stays I'l ask my derm about different procedures available. Which derm do you go to?

Whoa! we live in the same city!!!! lol

I go to Skin Institute in Takapuna. my derms name is marcus

The peels sound like a really good idea and theyre cheap! :) lasers probably cost over 200 bucks a session but i dunno...

And peels sound safer too ^_^

My doctor said the sideeffects were not a big problem. At least not as bad as some can make them here on acne.org. I think you have to stay positive and not think about sideeffects. I have a friend who had bad acne and started "accutane" (just not with that brand) and his skin i great now. You could never believed he had acne before, and his skin was extremely bad a one point. He has now sideeffects or marks on his skin. So there is hope for us all..

We have to remember that there are many here with negative feedback, since those who recovered from acne is long gone and living their lifes ;)

My doctor also said he had treated alot of patients with this drug and has never heard of any prolonged sideeffects..

Stay positive! ;)

Ocean27: Ohh Iv heard of them, they're good :D I've only had one appointment with my derm and I don't like her one bit! she totally rushed the whole consultation and brushed off all my concerns! :rolleyes: think i can change even tho she just prescribd me isotane? And noo laser treatments each cost at least a grand! :o Iv looked into ALOT of peels so after we're finishd with accutane we can discuss it :dance:

Tired87: Thanks for dropping by! Yeah i guess you're right all the millions of people who had good results are probably too busy enjoying their skin :D I see that you've also started taking acne really recently so I'll be dropping by your profile page to see how you're going :) And i wish I was as lucky as ur friend but I've already got a few scars and i haven't even started the drug yet :(

Ocean27:Oh and one thing more, do you know of any antibiotic ointments here in nz? cos most ppl on this website talk about neosporin and polysporin and how great they are on calming inflammation and scar prevention. Know what would be a good equivalent available in nz pharmacies? thanks

Ocean27:Oh and one thing more, do you know of any antibiotic ointments here in nz? cos most ppl on this website talk about neosporin and polysporin and how great they are on calming inflammation and scar prevention. Know what would be a good equivalent available in nz pharmacies? thanks

i reckon you should change derm if shes not being helpful, im pretty sure you can but maybe ask other derms if its ok cos it might affect the prescription.

hm... im not sure what ointments are available in nz..

ive heard vitamin e can sometimes help and ive also heard prednisone really helps with IBs so i guess it reduces inflammation. -im not sure if its is available in nz though but maybe the derm will know :) I'll try looking into it and will let you know soon.

Sorry for not being much help :(

heya i havent been able to find any good ointments here in nz for scar prevention.. all the ones that i know might be a little harsh on the skin while taking isotane.

im pretty sure tho that prednisone is available but only thru prescription.

i'll let you know if i come across any good products

Hey! Sorry I haven't replied in so long, been reaaally busy. Dw about the ointments btw, thanks for trying :D Oo and btw i just took my 7th pill! Soo exciting :) I haven't noticed any changes expct that this one bump i've had (tiny) under the skin for about 3 months, came to a head, that was pretty amazing (happend afta just 2 days on tane). And omg its soo hard not to pop, i was extremely scared to cos i know tane makes you scar easier but it's only been a week and I just started picking again :( Sometimes things just move along soo much faster when you pop. But i bought this first aid cream called crystacide, it was advertised as crystacide antibiotic cream, and even though its not an antibiotic cream its the strongest available antibacterial ointment (v.good to put on inflamed spots and popped ones too) available in nz at pharmacy. Its active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide so its pretty good for spot treatment. Other than that nothing much has changed so far. My skin went really oily the first 2 days, and now its back to normal (dry but not that dry). My lips just started getting dry today but just slightly (could just be the cold weather?!)

I hope your continuing to clear up nicely! :D

Thanx for replying to my post on the makeup section :)

Yay! its sound like tane is working quickly for you so your skin will clear up super fast!

LOL i know what you mean about popping, im scared stiff but sometimes i do pop some of the ones that look like theyre gonna burst any second. i really shouldnt but i cant help it :( ive heard of crystacide, hows it working for you??

my skin is clearing up ok and i get an ocassional pimple but my lips are soooo annoying! the weather seems to be making it worse which sucks cos theyre like cracked and sore. dry lips is common while taking tane, vaseline is a really really good lip balm though, icant live without it.

nyways hope the weather clears up soon (its fricken cold!!!)lol

Hey! Sorry for the laate reply im currently in 2nd yr medicine so I have ALOT to study for which is kind of stressing me out i hope it doesnt affect my skin though. Uhmm well an update..Im on day 18 atm and my lips arent dry at all atm..they do get dry but as soon as they do I pop on some lucas paw paw ointment and in a couple of hrs they go back to being normal :dance:

My skin has gotten better! Iv only had about 4-5 minor whiteheads but I do feel like my blackheads are being pushed out around and on my nose but I don't mind. Haven't had anytihng sore or inflamed and my cheeks and chin (initial problem areas) have all been pimple free! :D

Oh and about the crystacide..well when i had the whiteheads and i popped them there was like a giant hole in place of them. I put the crystacide on all the areas i popped and in about 4 days the areas scabbed up and then the scab fell off and there was no sign of the pimple! but for one of the pimples i popped, I only bought crystacide the day after and so could only apply it the day after and It healed but i think it left a little indent (tiny so not sure if its indent or a blackhead forming). Soo i guess that means crystacide works but you have to apply it straight away!!

Ohh and on about day ten, my head started itching madly like a burning kind of sensation, i itched it for 3 hrs str8 and it still didnt stop so i had to wash my hair and that helped but it hurt like hell! (all the itching probably bruised my scalp) So i guess im experiencing the dry scalp symptom? I hope my hair doesnt fall out :( Hows your tane journey going ocean27??

Yo! :)

im on day 81 i think lol i lost count but its around that. my skin is clear now except for some blackheads and whiteheads and also some hyperpigmentation which has faded a lot! im soooo happy!!!

i bought the lucas pawpaw ointment yesterday and omg!!!! IT IS AWESOME!!!!! my lips arent as dry anymore and its so much better than the vaseline that i was using!!! :dance: but my eyes are pretty dry which is annoying cos i wear contacts..

wow! youre in 2nd year medicine!! thats so cool!! im only in my last year in high school and im already finding the workload hard... i cant imagine what its like at uni. good luck with your exams nd evrything! :D

i also read some threads about emu oil and i heard that its good for scars and red marks but i havent tried it myself but i heard its also good for dry skin. if you go into the search boards on this site, you can find the threads :)

my scalp has definately gone drier too and my hair kinda feels brittle now.

what dose are u on Superwuman?

Hi I'm from Wellington and I also just started using Isotane/Oratane around 40 days ago, and trust me I was nervous too. Mostly because the process of getting was difficult which proved that it was a pretty intense drug. But now that I'm on it I am starting to see results which is great because the first few weeks it got worse but my dermatologist warned me of this because it has to push all the bad stuff out first before your skin can heal. So don't be alarmed when this happens it means its working. Only a few days ago I realised that my blackheads were starting to disappear and my skin my pores are getting tinier. Also the amount of side effects caused by taking this drug scared me too but the only side effects I have had so far is dry skin, lips, scalp and eyes but this was easy to handle just buy some eyes drops for dry eyes and switch to head&shoulders shampoo/conditioner. Also for your skin I recommend Cetaphil facewash and moisturizer because it is gentle and for sensitive skin types. I have not experienced any other side effects yet and my only main concern is that after I finish taking isotane I hope that my acne doesn't return. If your acne has been severe for several years and you don't think it is going to get any better this is probably a good choice just beware it has different results for everyone. I tried other medicines before this that didn't work and so far this has been working out for me, also regularly visit you doctor so they can check up on your progress and decide to up or down your dosage.