Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr. matt

Day 50 - Post Subcision/TCA Cross Method Update

Today marks Day 50 after my TCA Cross (Chemical Reconstruction of Scarred Skin) treatments.

Overall, I am happy with the initial results of the treatments I had on March 16, 2009. :surprised:

My rolling scars responded well to the subcision and even the ice pick scars on my chin and nose responded well.

My right cheek had the deepest scarring, but has even shown improvement.

I'm going back this Friday, May 8, 2009 for Round Two.

More needles and acid. Yee-ha!

I've posted updated photos in my album.

_______________________________________________________________________-

For those of you with rolling scars, I would encourage you to look into subcision as an option.

I've been taking 1000 mg of Vitamin C and 50mg of Zinc everyday and using a topical vitamin C cleanser. I think it has been helping my skin to generate collagen. Also, I started taking probiotics shortly before my treatment and I think this, too, has contributed to my healing.

I just ordered some Vitamin C serum online to help with collagen production.

Wishing you all well on your journey to healing.

That's great Mr. Matt do you think you will keep posting photos? It would be great to see your progress! THX!

Yes, I will post photos 30 days after my upcoming procedure.

I'm curious to hear what my doctor is going to say about my results so far.

My doctor and I are going to also discuss me undergoing a Fractional Pearl laser treatment in July.

I'm hoping that will help to "jump start" further collagen development.

Take care.

Matt

Matt, you mentionned that the larger scar on your right cheek did not respond as well to your subcision as your other scars.

Why aren' t you planning to do more than three subcisions for this scar? :rolleyes:

When you talked to your doctor about fillers, did you speak about Sculptra to fill the larger scar? What did your doctor recommend?

Matt,isn't there complications if u use a high dose like 50mg zine,can't it cause anemia (Anemic).

Matt, you mentionned that the larger scar on your right cheek did not respond as well to your subcision as your other scars.

Why aren' t you planning to do more than three subcisions for this scar? :rolleyes:

When you talked to your doctor about fillers, did you speak about Sculptra to fill the larger scar? What did your doctor recommend?

Yes, the compound rolling scar on my right cheek has not responded as well as I had hoped. I had multiple cysts in a very small area over the course of about two years which resulted in a circular scar with jagged edges and which was quite deep.

The two subcision treatments did result in improvement. I've noticed that the scar has lifted somewhat. There is an adjacent scar on the same cheek that was REALLY deep and long. That scar has flattened quite a bit and actually become three very small scars from the collagen filling it in from beneath.

In the last several photographs I've posted, it's difficult to even see the scar in the photos. If you look at my baseline photo, the scar is very evident and looks like a huge crater in the side of my face.

I'm glad that I went for the second round of subcision, though, because my doctor did perform subcision on a very deep boxscar on my left cheek. My youngest son would always tell me, "Dad, you have a hole in the side of your face."

As it turns out, the subcision left a huge welt and bruise for about three days. Much to my surprise, this scar has been reduced by about 90%! Unfortunately, my doctor missed two adacent boxscars and I am going to ask him to treat these as aggressively as he did the other one that was so deep. If these two scars respond well, I will be really happy.

I haven't discussed specific fillers with my doctor yet. I understand that these fillers can have a "donut" effect, so I'm not sure what to expect.

I am hoping that the filler will help the scar lift even more and prevent the fibrous bands from re-attaching.

As far as the number of treatments are concerned, I'm going to see what my doctor says. He wants to do Pearl Fractional Laser sometime this year and I think that it should definitely help with the collagen remodeling.

I have a tendency towards being a perfectionist, so I am fighting trying to attain a perfect complexion as I know that I will be sorely disappointed. I haven't had a perfect complexion since I was twelve years old. :cool:

I have been, however, very happy with the results I have seen so far and would encourage anyone with rolling scars to research subcision as a possible option for them.

Hey Matt, I tried sending you a PM but you inbox is full =[.

I will try to get my inbox cleaned out this weekend.

In terms of a quick update, I had my third round of subcision in July of this year and have done two rounds of dermarolling over my entire face.

My scarring is definitely less pronounced than when I began this journey seven months ago.

I am scheduled to have a Pearl Fractional laser treatment on Friday, November 6th. I'm hoping that it will help create additional collagen.

My routine right now includes the following:

1) 1000 mg of Ester Vitamin C

2) daily application of Retin-A (.1%)

3) use a daily face wash with Vitamin C

4) use sunscreen daily to protect the new collagen that has formed from the subcision and dermarolling treatments

5) daily application of Vitamin C serum

6) use of red/infrared LED unit

I've chronicled my seven month journey with a ton of photos to track the condition of my skin at the beginning of the journey versus the present day condition of my complexion. The photos definitely tell a story.

My wife who has a "peaches and cream" complexion recently commented on how much smoother my skin had looked since I started this journey. She recently looked at my baseline photos and said that she had forgotten how my scars had looked previously.

So, I would encourage any of you who are contemplating any type of scar revision procedure (subcision, TCA Cross, laser, etc.) to keep a journal of your photos.

There are some scars on my baseline photos that are completely gone now that I would have forgotten about had I not kept photos.

My skin will never be perfect because of my cystic acne. However, my scarring is much less pronounced today and my self-esteem has been greatly enhanced. :dance:

Keep up the good fight and wear your sunscreen, everyone.

And, as a reminder, we're all in this together. This is a great forum to share ideas and to encourage one another.

Matt

P.S. I will post additional photos in December after my laser treatment as a "final hurrah".

Matt,

glad to hear that you experience such a nice improvement!!

Are you going for another round of subcision after your laser treatment?

Matt,

glad to hear that you experience such a nice improvement!!

Are you going for another round of subcision after your laser treatment?

Great question. I'm not sure at this point in time.

I'm curious to see what the laser can do, if anything, to create additional collagen and fill up some of the remaining craters in my skin.

I may go with a combination of subcision and fillers at some point. Only three scars on my face will probably require subcision and filler at this point in time.

The other ones are not that deep anymore and we'll see what the laser can do.

By the way, I have been very impressed with the results I've had with dermarolling. I was sceptical at first, but I've been made a believer that it can improve the pigmentation of your skin and your overall complexion.

Let's see if there are any new breakthroughs in 2010 with acne scar revision techniques. In the meantime, it's slow and steady progress.

Matt

By the way, I have been very impressed with the results I've had with dermarolling. I was sceptical at first, but I've been made a believer that it can improve the pigmentation of your skin and your overall complexion.

How long did you wait after your last subcision before starting dermarolling?

Are you using any topicals after dermarolling?

Thank you!

How long did you wait after your last subcision before starting dermarolling?

Are you using any topicals after dermarolling?

Thank you!

I waited thirty days after my last round of subcision to start dermarolling.

Yes, I am using Retin-A and topical Vitamin C after I roll.

I'll just ask you my question here Matt,

I know that subcision works great for scars that are tightly bound down to the dermis and do not flatten out when stretched. How is it for the scars that DO flatten out when stretched? I'm not sure how tightly bound your scars are, but I hope you can answer my question from your experience. The reason is because I have some rolling scars on my jawline that flatten out when I look up, but are visible when I look straight or put my head down. I'm not sure if I should bother getting these scars treated with subcision if it will not likely help.

And you also said that you got 100% improvement on your shallow scars. Was that after one treatment or two?

Thanks for EVERYTHING! I hope to be able to help others after I get this procedure done.

I'll just ask you my question here Matt,

I know that subcision works great for scars that are tightly bound down to the dermis and do not flatten out when stretched. How is it for the scars that DO flatten out when stretched? I'm not sure how tightly bound your scars are, but I hope you can answer my question from your experience. The reason is because I have some rolling scars on my jawline that flatten out when I look up, but are visible when I look straight or put my head down. I'm not sure if I should bother getting these scars treated with subcision if it will not likely help.

And you also said that you got 100% improvement on your shallow scars. Was that after one treatment or two?

Thanks for EVERYTHING! I hope to be able to help others after I get this procedure done.

My dermatologist treated all of my rolling scars with subcision except one that was on my left temple and near a major vein and some smaller ones along my jawline due to the close proximity of several arteries. He was concerned about rupturing an artery or vein with the procedure and opted not to due it for safety reasons.

I'm been using the dermaroller on these two sections of my face and my doctor plans on treating them with the laser in a few weeks.

The 18 guage Nokor needle that my doctor used actually "bowed" when he used it to treat a large compound scar on my right cheek. Apparently, there was a lot of scar tissue that had built up due to having multiple cysts in a small concentrated area on my face. He actually treated this area three times and it is much flatter and less pronounced than it was before the procedures.

Some of my shallower scars that appeared "pitted" but were rolling scars on the left and right side of my shin disappeared after the first and second rounds of subcision. I REALLY hated these scars and I'm glad that they are finally gone.

I hope that the laser will help fill in some of the other areas that have flattened but could still use some additional collagen.

Slow and steady wins the race......

Matt

Hmm are you sure that your doctor used an 18 gauge nokor needle? My doctor said the he uses a "small 30-gauge needle rather than the large no-cor needles that look like shovels for saline subcision, to minimize any collateral trauma, although patients seem to do well with that needle as well."

If your doctor really did use an 18 gauge needle, I'm not sure why he stated his 30 gauge needle was small compared to nokor needles.

Hmm are you sure that your doctor used an 18 gauge nokor needle? My doctor said the he uses a "small 30-gauge needle rather than the large no-cor needles that look like shovels for saline subcision, to minimize any collateral trauma, although patients seem to do well with that needle as well."

If your doctor really did use an 18 gauge needle, I'm not sure why he stated his 30 gauge needle was small compared to nokor needles.

I'm 99.9% sure that it was the larger needle because I had a conversation with him about it before he did the first procedure. Afterwards, he said that he was glad that had used the larger size as the needle had "bowed" when he was trying to break up the dense scar tissue on my right cheek.

He went on to say that had the needle broke under the skin, it would have had to open my face to remove the broken needle resulting in an incision into my epidermis.

Fortunately, such was not the case and I've had no further complications from any of the three subcision treatments I've had.

Matt

So you mean that dermarolling does nothing for acne scars really? This is actually the feeling im getting to..Maybe the pigmentation and complexion improvement only comes from the led lights your using? I'm starting to think that dermarolling doesn't really do anything for scars...or not much atleast..Needling seems to be superior. Im also starting to suspect that the improvements that lamarr had was all due to his needling that he started after his two dermarolling sessions with dr chu. I haven't heard of anyone who has had convincing opinions that their dermarolling sessions has improved their scarring...I just had my second dermarolling treatment with dr chu, and i really dont know if i have seen any improvements. I have had 3 restylane treatments in the past 1 and half months, and the first one i did, seemed to improve my scarring permanently, it was a filler that was a littler thinner than regular restylane which meant she had to inject it more shallow, and where i believe she kind of did subcision with the needle..The area where she had injected got bruised etc..I dont know..Im kind of lost..Maybe the best for shallow rolling scars is to actually do subcision even thou they are not bond down? Maybe the blood that forms beneath the scar, is a lot faster way to improvement of rolling scars?...A lot of thinking here...Please matt dont forget to report back to us, a few months after your laser. Greetings from Sweden

Edited by PraisethelordforacneNOT

I'm 99.9% sure that it was the larger needle because I had a conversation with him about it before he did the first procedure. Afterwards, he said that he was glad that had used the larger size as the needle had "bowed" when he was trying to break up the dense scar tissue on my right cheek.

He went on to say that had the needle broke under the skin, it would have had to open my face to remove the broken needle resulting in an incision into my epidermis.

Fortunately, such was not the case and I've had no further complications from any of the three subcision treatments I've had.

So the smaller the needle, the higher the chances are of the needle breaking underneath the skin?

How did the scars on your jawline respond to subcision?

Edited by AcnePwns

bump

I had a Pearl Fractional Laser treatment on Friday, November 6th at my dermatologist's office.

Please see my blog for the "inside scoop."

Bottom line right now: Day One I looked like I had been in a major car accident or was the leading character in a horror film: :)

Right now, most of the swelling has subsided but my face still looks red. I look like "Bob, the Tomato" from Veggie Tales...... If anyone has any ideas on how to reduce the redness, I would love to hear from you. Send me an e-mail.....

My face is slathered in Aquaphor and I'm staying indoors to avoid the sun.

I'll be posting photos (I have lots of them) in about 30 days after the swelling and redness has subsided which show my "before, during, and after" state of my scarring.

By the way, my doctor was impressed with the results that I had garnered with the Dermaroller. I think he wants to look into this some more.

In the meantime, hang in there, wear your sunscreen, and take care of yourselves.

Matt

Good luck with the laser.

How did the scars on your jawline respond to subcision by the way?

My doctor only treated one scar near my jawline as the others were close to arteries and larger veins that he did not want to perforate with the Nokor needle.

He treated my entire face with the Pearl Fractional Laser including the jawline.

Time will tell what the results will be seen.

Stay tuned for further updates down the road....