Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amanda8lynn22

My Skin Does Not Shed..What Can I Do?

I've been using BP and Retin-A alternating nights, (among other things) and as a result every morning when I apply my makeup, which is translucent powder, I get loads of flakes all over if I don't scrub the $hit out of my skin first. But all the scrubbing I have to do tears open my whiteheads. And if I'm gentle and dont scrub my skin looks flakey, really really flakey.

My skin looks fine (I mean not flakey but with acne) w/out the powder, but as soon as I use the powder, flakes appear everywhere out of no where.

So I was wondering if anyone knows a way to effectively exfoliate without tearing open whiteheads?

* I currently use a regular washcloth, but it's starting to make my whiteheads keep popping and turning into scars.

I've been using BP and Retin-A alternating nights, (among other things) and as a result every morning when I apply my makeup, which is translucent powder, I get loads of flakes all over if I don't scrub the $hit out of my skin first. But all the scrubbing I have to do tears open my whiteheads. And if I'm gentle and dont scrub my skin looks flakey, really really flakey.

My skin looks fine (I mean not flakey but with acne) w/out the powder, but as soon as I use the powder, flakes appear everywhere out of no where.

So I was wondering if anyone knows a way to effectively exfoliate without tearing open whiteheads?

* I currently use a regular washcloth, but it's starting to make my whiteheads keep popping and turning into scars.

Use a gentle exfoliating pad.

Or a soft facial brush ..... or a scrub that contains tiny silica beads.

But whatever you use, be gentle. Don't actually "scrub".

I agree with the facial brush. Search "baby brush" on this site and there is a whole forum about using the baby brush as an exfoliant. I'm going to try this since my cheeks keep getting dry and flaky on me which is causing me to break out :(

Hope this helps

I'm currently on Retin-a too, and I like using scotch tape. It's gentle and it doesn't aggravate any existing acne.

Just a heads up about your regimen - Retin-a is meant to be used every day to have a continual light layer exfoliated. When its used every other day, it peels off larger layers, leading to visible peeling. It also makes the skin more sensitive, so another topical like BP may irritate it and exacerbate the peeling, which could be why you see so many flakes. You could try altering your regimen as well to help with the flakes. Good luck! =)