Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SilentWalker

Tetracycline (Capsule), Retin-A Micro (Microsphere Gel), and Clindoxyl (Gel) Triple Action Regimen

Post#1 to Post#22 refers to my regimen with BenzaClin and Minocyclin, and then with BenzaClin alone.

Day 1 on my Tetracycline, Retin-A Micro and Clindoxyl regimen log starts at Post#23.

-----------------------------

So, I guess I'm sorta excited. Today I finally went to my doctor to get a referral letter to a derm. Instead he ended up prescribing medications for me. I am now using Apo-minocycline (100mg) and Benzaclin Gel. I have to use them for one month before returning to him.

Apo-minocycline is a brand of Minocycline, and Benzaclin Gel is a mixture of 5% Benzoyl peroxide and 1% Clindamycin.

I was very skeptical when he prescribed the Benzaclin because I used 2.5% BP before and my entire face got darker. The thing about it was I only used it in the night, and I always used a sunscreen, so I don't think the hyper-pigmentation was due to sun sensitivity. I told the doctor that, but he said that it was probably due to the sun (either that or I guess he did not take me on).

So this is my regimen:

Morning:

Cleanser - Wash with SpectroJel Blemish-Prone Skin, Fragrance Free Cleanser

Moisturizer - Mixture of OXY Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 (with Dragon's Blood and Phytic Acid) and Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15

Night:

Cleanser - Wash with SpectroJel Blemish-Prone Skin, Fragrance Free Cleanser

Wait 5 - 10 minutes

Treatment - Apply Benzaclin Gel

Wait 5 - 10 minutes

Moisturizer - Spectro HydraCare Blemish-Prone Skin moisturizer

Once a day:

Take Apo-minocycline either 1 hr. before or 2-3 hrs. after a meal (on an empty stomach)

I sort of screwed up on my first day though because I used a whole crap load of Benzaclin on my face by accident. I pumped too much on my hand and I was feeling bad to throw it away. I even used more of it than of my moisturizer.

Also, how was life while using Apo-minocycline? Is there anything that I should know about?

So wish me luck :) . I'm gonna take my first capsule of minocycline right now.

Day 1

Well I certainly got frightened when I read the comments and reviews about Minocyclin. I even started to feel light-headed and my joints hurt, but I think it was "mind over matter" because I was fine in school today.

Well I can't say I saw any major improvements, but then again I only started yesterday. But I did find that 3 red pimples on my cheek and forehead decreased in size and stopped hurting :)

One week after I started back using BP, my dad said that he found that my face was looking a little burnt, and the last time he said that was when I was last using BP. I used BP 4 times in the last 2 years and it happened the last 3 out of 4 times.

Remember I said that
I am of East-Indian descent
, from the Caribbean and
live in Canada.
Well I think that BP affects up Indians differently from most of you Caucasians. My aunt (who is a doctor) told me last year that she also used BP when she was young and also it burnt/darkened her skin.

Now when I say burn I don't mean like my face is red and itchy or burning, I mean it gets darker in colour (hyper-pigmentation).
I just use the word burn because that is what my dad used to describe my face. My skin's texture was also getting a bit rough (but you could barely tell; I may have just been imagining it).

Now this last time I used BP (1 month ago), I only used it in the night (once a day), and always wore a SPF 15 sunscreen when going out in the sun. But my dad said that my face still got darker after 1 week. So I'm still waiting to see if my face gets darker with the Benzaclin.

Day 2

Well 2 new pimples emerged on the left side of my face, and 2 on my right.

It looks as if my skin is clearing up slowly, but I'm sure that is due to yellow light. My house has those incandescent bulbs, and your skin tone acne appears a lot better in yellow light that it actually is.

Well today I got severe stomach pains (well actually it was abdominal.....lol), but I think it was due to wind or acid. But what ever it was, my mom gave me 2 Tums and it got better. I was really scared though because I thought it because of the Minocycline :shifty: .

I must remember though to take some photos soon, so both you and I can see the difference this regimen makes, if any.

Day 4

Well my face looks great so far. No darkening of the skin, and only 2 new pimples emerged since I last posted. The rest of my face is getting quite smooth, but that may be due to the protein mask I started using 2 days ago - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OMG-GUYS-THIS-t35135.html

I used the mask once a day when I came home from school. I just washed my face with water, applied the mask (same method of preperation as in the link), and washed it off after 10 minutes.

So my face is getting quite smooth, but again, it may just appear so because of the yellow lighting.

Keep you posted. Bye :)

Day 5

Well today was not so good. I got 2 new, fully-fledged pimples that hurt, and I'm sure there are a few more just waiting to break the surface.

I stopped using the egg-mask (the last time I used it was yesterday when I posted) because were out of eggs :P . But I'm not sure if I will re-start using it when I get eggs. I mean it was great (the little difference that it made), but I'm just too lazy to prepeare it. And I'm not sure if you can use the same egg-leftovers that you used the day before. Or does the egg begin breaking down?

I iced my face today, in an attempt to make the swelling and pain go down. The pimples were not that bad, they were just ordinary pimples (normal size and everything), but they were one of those pimples that hurt.

Also, for the last week I tried to make an enormous effort to stop picking at my face (I tend to pick quite a lot), but the more I try not to pick, the more I pick!!! I need help. I read the page that Dan posted with tips to stop picking, but I'm too lazy to keep track of everytime I pick.

Hey! I'm currently on Benzaclin also.

What i've noticed is its best to use as little as necessary to cover the whole face. i usually take a pea sized amount and spread it around my fingers and then apply it over my face, wait 5-10 minutes, and then moiusterize. although im not 100% clear, i get maybe 1-2 new pimples once every two weeks or so, so its not that bad.

Hey! I'm currently on Benzaclin also.

What i've noticed is its best to use as little as necessary to cover the whole face. i usually take a pea sized amount and spread it around my fingers and then apply it over my face, wait 5-10 minutes, and then moiusterize. although im not 100% clear, i get maybe 1-2 new pimples once every two weeks or so, so its not that bad.

Hey, thanks for the tip "dishnswish" :) . I normally use quite a lot, like a whole finger to cover my face. I'll take your advice and see how it works. It should also lessen the irritation and dryness (although I'm surprised I'm not having any :think: . It is sorta weird because when I used 2.5% BP I had a LOT more irritation and dryness.

Now...it's time to update my log :D

EDIT: My prescription for Apo-Minocycline is for only one month. Do you think that would be long enough for it to work? Or would I need to go back to my doctor for another month's supply?

I saw many people on the boards saying that they used it for 3 months and 5 months, and some for even 9 months. Would I see results in my 1 month? Anyone?

Day 7

So it's been a whole week already!!! And I see promise in this regimen. But as all are, they will take time. I have seen minor improvements, but not enough to actually say that Apo-minocycline and Benzaclin Gel is working. It may just be one of those "good times" that we all have.

Within the last two days, the pimples that I said were "just waiting to break the surface".....well, they surfaced! :( I got 2 on my left cheek, 2 on my right and 1 on my forehead. In addition, there is a cluster on my hairline (left side of my forehead) emerging as I type.

One thing I have seen if that my new pimples disappear in 1 day, 2 days tops!!! And if I am careful not to pick, there is no scarring!!! :D

Yesterday for the first time I popped a pimple using the method on the "How to pop a pimple" page Dan posted. It was much more satisfying and less irritating than picking at them :)

Also today I used the egg-mask once again (we got eggs yesterday :P ).

I'll add to this post later today if I get time, to update you on any changes if any.

Bye :D

-------------------------

EDIT

So as I promised I'm back to post changes.

Well its been like 3 hours since I posted the first piece, and 3 hours later (now) my whole forehead it breaking out!!! When I pass my hand over it I just feel so many bumps; like around 10 new pimples emerging. And it feels like the painful kind (you know, the one that hurts to the touch rather than the one that's just a big red bump).

There are also 2 new ones emerging on both of my cheeks. Help!!!

The only change I made in my regimen was that I used the egg mask today, after 2 days of not using it.

Should I just go ahead with my normal regimen (see my signature), or apply something new to zap those zits? I don't have AHA or jojoba oil or any salicylic acid treatment.

Just throw out the suggestions please, and I'll see what I can do. I'm desperate because I have to go to school tomorrow (I had a "day-off" today).

Oh yea, and another thing I should have mentioned, I started getting sick two days ago (just after my "Day 5" post). It started up with a really bad sore-throat and today I woke up with a stuffy nose, a chest cold/cough and still a slight sore throat.

I don't know if that had anything to do with my breakout, but I just though I'd throw that out at you just in case. I just hope that the Apo-minocycline (100mg) antibiotic is not messing with my immune system.

Edited by SilentWalker

Day 9

Well it's not going so good for me. My cold turned into this chest cough and the runny-nose just won't give up! If I pass my hand over my forehead it's covered in bumps, but I can only see around 5 pimples. Looks like there are a whole lot that are going to emerge tomorrow.

I tried the OCM yesterday ( http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEAN...Hi-t141871.html ) using a 2:2:1 ratio of EVOO:Coconut Oil:Vitamin E Oil (28 000 IU). My skin felt so soft afterward but I don't think it did anything else to help. I don't think it caused the breakouts either because none of the oils above are supposed to be comedogenic and besides, I think those pimples were coming out anyway.

I think I'm messing with my face a bit too much though. I'll try to only stick to my regimen (as stated in my signature).

That's all for now. See ya! :D

Day 10

Well no real change in my face since yesterday except that the 3 whiteheads on my forehead got bigger.

Now onto bigger, more pressing issues.

(For those of you don't know, just a quick summary since I started my regimen. If it's too long, read the bold until the dashes, then read everything after the dashes.)

Well for those of you who don't know, I'm currently on a Apo-Minocyclin (100mg) and BenzaClin Gel regimen (see signature), and the supply of Mino I got from my doc was for one month.

.....It's Day 10.

I just came down with the cold 4 days ago...no biggie, just a normal cold. I was sorta skeptical because I don't know if Mino messes with your immune system.

It was a normal cold, started up with a sore-throat, then a runny-nose, and then the cough which developed into a chest cough on Tuesday (that's how all my colds are).

The thing is since I came up Canada last July, it seemed as if my immune system got stronger. For the last 6 months, colds only lasted for 2-3 days (before it could have developed into a chest-cold).

So yea, the typical cold, and all the while I had the mashed-up, drained, "I feel like shit" feeling we all do when we're sick.

But yesterday I started getting headaches. They came and went, and mostly occurred in the morning and evening. When I got up from a sitting or lying position they got really bad (it felt as if my head was about to blow up). Also since I got the cold, I got dizzy and light headed for a few seconds after I got up from a sitting or lying position (not suddenly, I just got up as normal).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Well that was a long intro :P ).

Last night I was on the org and I came across this post - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Minocycli...hl=minocycline#

You know the simile "I was trembling like a leaf"? Well I never knew it was possible to actually "tremble" in fear until I was finished reading this post. And I'm not lying!!! I was feeling light-headed, I was literally shaking, and my teeth were chattering! I actually feared for my life!

Now some people may say that I'm over-reacting. But I already had 2 of those symptoms - headaches and dizziness. Now I'm not saying that they are not from the cold (from which I'm still recovering), but what if they really are because of Mino?

I know that these people have been taking Mino for months, and I've only been taking it for 10 days, which is why I'm considering stopping it after my one-month prescription is up.

I swear, had I not peed just before I read that post, I'd have peed my pants; no kidding! I MEAN A SPINAL TAP!!! OPTICAL NERVE DAMAGE!! AND A SPINAL TAP!!!

The first and only time I ever heard of a spinal tap before reading this post was in a book "Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drums,_Girls,_and_Dangerous_Pie . It was about this kid (I think 6 yrs old) who had leukemia, and I cringed and could have cried when the poor little kid had to undergo spinal taps.

So should I give up Mino after the month's up? What should I tell my doc? Am I over reacting? And should this be in the prescription forums (I want everyone to read this!!!)?

Day 12

It's Saturday!!! Well I got 2 new pimples on my left cheek and 1 on my right.

So right now, I have 2 red pimples on my left cheek (one of which is a cluster of 2 pimples), another red cluster of 2 on my right cheek, and my forehead is covered in bumps. A lot the the pimples on my forehead have gone down, but there are 2 new ones and a large cluster is emerging just above my left eyebrow.

Well I'm slowly recovering from my cold, like 2 more days left I think before I'll be fully better; but then again you never know.

I'm totally stressed however as I got this big English project due for Tuesday, as well as this 6 page Physics essay on The Physics of Running Shoes. And I have to build this rocket for Physics by Thursday and write up a lab report on it! It's so much bloody work and I'm soo stressed out!

And the org is not helping; I'm addicted!! :P

It's a good thing I have a holiday on Monday!

Day 20

Wow, 8 days since I last posted! Sorry people, it's just that I was really busy this last week (not that anyone actually reads my log :| . I made this rocket, my English project - The Droughtlanders scrapbook, a 1637 word essay on The Physics of Running Shoes, and a Career Portfolio. I can't wait till Wednesday though, we're launching the rockets!!! :boogie:

So, lets see...I finally recovered from my nasty cold, I did the OCM again last Monday, and I broke-out quite a bit this weekend.

I have one of those 1-inch pimples on the right side of my temple, and quite a bit of pimples on my chin (which I haven't got in quite a while).

My main problem is picking. I think I have OCD...is that right? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Yea, anyways, I barely picked at all on Saturday (it was soooo hard :wall: ) but I wreaked havoc on my skin for the rest of the weekend :( .

I need to stop!!! I am tired of the scars!!! IMHO, my scarring is WAAAY worse than my acne; the pics I posted did not do justice.

What else? Oh yea...so my month prescription (see my signature) is almost up, it turns out I need glasses (I'm short-sighted), and I was really itchy today (I don't know why).

And another thing...

The moisturizer I use - Spectro HydraCare for Blemish-Prone Skin, balls up when I apply it over the BenzaClin. It does so even after waiting a whole hour in between washing and applications. It only balls up when I rub my face after the moisturizer has absorbed and my skin is dried. This is a problem though because I sub-consciously pick my skin a lot.

I also find the Spectro HydraCare is a bit too thick, and is not absorbing as well into my skin as it used to. As a result, I end up using way too much (well not too much for my face, it's perfect; but my moisturizer is finishing too fast).

I was thinking of adding a little water to the moisturizer so it will be a little thinner, absorb better into my skin, and so that I can use less of it. And from what I understand about Safflower Oleosomes (the main moisturizing ingredient in it) it may also moisturize better.

But will adding water to it make it unstable? What do you think? Here is the product and a list of the ingredients - http://www.spectroskincare.com/facial_mois...rs_blemish.aspx

I really hope this stuff works for you :D I'm not sure what you've already tried, but you should definitely do the Acne.org Regimen it works wonders. But if you like what you have, you should at least try the moisturizer, with you saying yours balls up, the Acne.org Moisturizer is very thin.

I really hope this stuff works for you :D I'm not sure what you've already tried, but you should definitely do the Acne.org Regimen it works wonders. But if you like what you have, you should at least try the moisturizer, with you saying yours balls up, the Acne.org Moisturizer is very thin.

But what about the water thing? Should I add water to mine? I don't have money to waste....and my mom said that I'm only allowed 1 moisturizer every 2 1/2 months :(

Day 22

It's not going so good. There are soo many bumps on my forehead and cheeks/jawline; soo many pimples just breaking the surface of my skin. I'm starting to wonder if this regimen is working at all, as I see no difference so far.

There are currently 2 full pimples on my left cheek, 2 on my right, 2 on my chin, and 4 on my forehead.

Also, yesterday I started applying a 1:4 ratio of white, household vinegar:water to my face about one hour before I bathe. Should I use white, household vinegar? Or does it only work with ACV?

And finally, does anyone actually read my log regularly or ind it helpful? If you do, just post here please; I would like to know.

Day 27

Wow, only 2 pills left! The month flew by really fast! It's too bad my skin did not really improve :( In fact it's terrible at the moment!

My Regimen for the last 3 Days

In addition to my normal regimen (see signature):

• Day 23 - I applied the white vinegar an hour before I bathed, after which I do my evening regimen. I exercised for that hour :D . I added two drops of Vitamin E oil into my evening moisturizer.
  • Day 24 - An hour before I bathed I washed my face with Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power-Clear Scrub (2% SA). I then applied a mask of Calamine lotion with some Flowers of Sulphur mixed in. Again I exercised for the hour before I bathed :boogie: . I added two drops of Vitamin E oil into my evening moisturizer.
  • Day 25 - For my morning part of the regimen, I mixed in some Calamine lotion into my moisturizer. For the evening, I added two drops of Vitamin E oil and some EVOO into my moisturizer.
  • Day 26 - I applied BenzaClin both in the morning and evening. Everything else was the same.
My Skin

My entire forehead it covered in huge pimples! They are not really pus-filled, nor are they white-heads or cysts. When I feel my forehead, I can tell that the bumps are around 1/2 inch in diameter, while the part of it that is actually visible is red. Some of them have a whitish tip with a black spot in the center, but do not look like whiteheads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am trying to start exercising more often, although it will be hard to with soooo much homework and projects. Also, final exams are in two weeks!!!!!

My stress alarms are going off like crazy again.

Hmm....what else? Oh yea, we launched rockets Friday, today and the lat day is tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some footage and post it here for you all.

Laters :|

Day 28

So it's no big change in my skin compared to yesterday, but I got a pimple on my chin!!!!

ON MY CHIN!!! :angry: I have never gotten a pimple on my chin :xxx: ! I just hope that I don't get any more; I really can't handle anymore acne :mad: .

Oh, and I'm considering applying Vitamin C topically - like crushing up some Vit. C tablets and dissolving them in water. See this post - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Vitamin-t...ly-t238033.html .

If I get no replies by the end of the day, I'll just go ahead and try it.

Day 30

So, on Day 28 (previous post), I popped my last Mino pill! :D

My Skin

Well most of the big pimples on my forehead and cheeks subsided; there are around 5 left.

But O day! O woeful day! :cry: I picked at my skin as if there was no tomorrow. Well it wasn't that bad, but my perspective of picking is getting worse and worse; so every time I pick I feel as if I deserve to go to jail (you know what I mean!). At least I'm picking a bit less every day, but I'm progressing as slow as hell.

My Life (it's bye bye Mino!!!)

So today I went back to the doctor (I just got home from there), and he gave me another 50g BenzaClin pump. No more Minocyclin :) !! And no more paranoia of spinal taps :lol: . Whew!

But he finally did get me a referral to a derm, so I'm just waiting for the telephone call :D !!! I can't wait; my first derm visit since I came Canada. Wish me luck :) .

By the way, it might be good to get a prescription for clindamycin phosphate topical (generic) as its cheaper than benzaclin. Then you can just buy cheap BP or Dan's BP. That would allow you to use the clindamycin without worrying about the drying effect of the BP and to use the BP as much as you need.

Personally I've had a lot of success with BP and clindamycin.

By the way, it might be good to get a prescription for clindamycin phosphate topical (generic) as its cheaper than benzaclin. Then you can just buy cheap BP or Dan's BP. That would allow you to use the clindamycin without worrying about the drying effect of the BP and to use the BP as much as you need.

I live in canada and I have OHIP, so I can get any prescription drug for only 35 cents! :D

Guest Rocky666

I live in canada and I have OHIP, so I can get any prescription drug for only 35 cents! :D

You should probably stop with the egg masks and vinegar stuff that you're doing,all that homemade crap and natural stuff is fine but I would just stick to something simple.....

Day 1 and Day 2

So Tuesday I went to my derm and he prescribed the three medications/treatments stated above. I found that Minocyclin (1 month usage) and BenzaClin (1.75 month usage) did nothing to improve my acne. I hated to go back on oral meds like Tetracycline, but...well...we'll see how it goes.

So far the Tetra is quite a hassle as I can't have eaten anything 2 hrs. before of 1 hr. after taking the pill. It's 2 pills in the AM and 2 in the PM - 4 a day :S . I got a 2 month's supply; it's crazy how large and full the bottle containing the Tetra looks. I've never seem so much pills at one time in my life!

The Retin-A Micro is very new to me - I've never used it before. However the directions say to use only 2 full pumps (which is very little - a pea-sized amount). This is not quite enough to cover all my pimples, so what should I do? Also has anyone had success with Retin-A? Please post and let me know.

Finally, the Clindoxyl. When my derm suggested it I said no because it's the same thing as BenzaClin (5% BP and 1% Clindamycin), and BenzaClin did not work for me. However he said that it's a different formulation, so I went with it. The texture is a lot better than the BenzaClin. It spreads and absorbs much better than BenzaClin, and it does not leave a white film on my face after application. It seems promising.

So far I have seen no changes in my skin since I started this regimen. I'll try and get pics up soon.

Well I got nothing to look forward to this summer - I have summer school for one month :( . I'll try to keep you all posted (it's not like anyone actually reads my log), because we're getting a whole crap-load of homework in summer school.

Oh yea, another thing. Never before have I been so grateful to have Ontario Health Insurance. Those 3 meds stated, they would have cost $265.00 dollars had I not had OHIP. I, well my mom, paid $1.40!

Hey, I have a similar regimen to yours. My doctor prescribed me to take:

- 4 Tetracycline capsules (2 in morning, 2 at night)

- Solugel (4% BP) (in the morning)

- Differin (Topical) (at night time)

And I was wondering if I should use a cleanser with this? Or if I should stick to these 3 products. Because none of them really wash your skin since the 2 products (Solugel,Differin) are applied but not washed off your skin.

Thanks and GL to you!

Hey, I have a similar regimen to yours. My doctor prescribed me to take:

- 4 Tetracycline capsules (2 in morning, 2 at night)

- Solugel (4% BP) (in the morning)

- Differin (Topical) (at night time)

And I was wondering if I should use a cleanser with this? Or if I should stick to these 3 products. Because none of them really wash your skin since the 2 products (Solugel,Differin) are applied but not washed off your skin.

Thanks and GL to you!

Yes you should use a non-medicated cleanser before you apply both Solugel and Differin. Pat dry. You should however wait 15-20 mins after washing your face before applying the treatments so that your face properly dries. I suggest Cetaphil or Spectro cleansers.

The cleanser prepares your skin for the treatment, and doing so followed by letting your skin dry properly after washing will increase the effectiveness of the treatments as they will penetrate your skin even better.

And good luck to you also :) .