Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RLH

Summary of my Accutane Adventure [LONG POST! WORTH THE READ]

I am going to preface this post with the thought that when most people get their acne cleared up, they dont come back here. They simply forget this forum and the bad thoughts that they have connected with it. I plan on doing this, but not without some parting words. I have not been very active on this forum, but I hope this post helps a lot. My target audience for this post would be people who have severe, pustular, cystic acne on their face and body.This was the case for me. Please read on if this applies to you.

-----------------

I'm not quite finished with accutane but I am approaching my final month with it. My facial acne is completely gone, I have minimal dryness (only lips, sometimes). I suffered from no side effects whatsoever.

What I hope to accomplish in this post is to

convince people that accutane works and is safe

dispel any acne product scams that I am aware of

encourage medication that works

and give some misc. information and thoughts

------------------

It took 5 months before my face cleared up. FIVE MONTHS on accutane. Five months of bad acne and a horrible life, and then one week I noticed I didnt get any new acne.. then a week later my face is completely clear. Now I am complimented every day (without fail) on the clarity of my skin. To be honest, I feel SO GOD DAMN GOOD.

My dermatologist was smart, he kept my accutane dosage low. I feel that this did a lot of things, firstly, it minimized any side effects. I felt no joint pain, nothing severe, the only side effect I suffered was dry lips. Keeping the dosage low also prevented severe scarring from initial breakout (keep in mind only 5-7% of people actually suffer IB).

Im 6'5, I weigh 210 pounds and my dosage (to this day) hasn't exceeded 60mg a day. By the book I should be taking at least 120mg. In terms of accutane, more isn't better, all that matters is that it is being absorbed. (I firmly believe those who suffer from accutane side effects are on dosages far too high for them).

Now, a week before my acne really started to clear up (it was still bad at this point), I suggested to my derm that my acne may be caused by bacteria. He kept me on accutane and also put me on BACTRIM, also known as SEPTRA. I dont know how much the Bactrim worked, but I can be sure that it was in my body right when my acne stopped.

En sum, if you are on accutane, and the acne isnt stopping, ask to go on Bactrim. It has no side effects (unless you have an allergy, which most people dont) and it may have stopped my acne single handedly. The most important thing to do when you are on accutane is DO NOT GIVE UP! it will work!!!! No matter how bad it is getting! My acne got so bad at one point, I had to go on prednisone to shut down inflammation.

-This is the end of the accutane part. Now my feelings on acne in general.....

First of all, proactiv, clearasil, cleansing, all that bullshit, forget about it. If you have severe acne, it isnt because you're eating too much walnuts or not washing your face before u go to bed. It is because of a bacterial AND/OR hormonal cause that needs to be dealt with in ways that don't include giving your money to a thieving corporation.

The following list will include things that do not cause severe cystic acne.

-DIET

-WASHING FACE

-TOUCHING FACE

-NOT SLEEPING

-ANYTHING ANYONE SELLING SOMETHING TELLS YOU

The following list will include things that do not cure severe cystic acne.

-Facewash

-cleansers, exfoliators, stuff that dries your skin topically, anything like this

-tiger dick or any stupid alternative medication that some chinese guy is trying to sell you

-Acidophilus

-Zinc

-ANY Tetracycline (minocycline, etc)

-Any topical benzol or salicylic solution

Side notes:

-I have noticed that popping zits can be bad. Only pop them when the head has surfaced and it is minimally going to damage your skin. Keep in mind that popping zits is literally ripping your skin. Do it slowly and controlled if you are going to do it at all.

-Accutane, Prednisone and Bactrim are medications that were key in the curing of my acne. With persevearance I became acne free.

The best of luck to all of you, if you have questions, I will reply asap. You can PM me too.

-RLH

wassup this was a good read man. i was wondering what did you use for face wash and moisturizer. im breaking out severely right now while im on accutane. im using a gentle face wash rite now similar to cetaphil but was wondering will bp or sa will make it worse or better

I agree with you 100%. I'm in the same boat in that I started out with moderate to severe cystic acne (not just pimples, papules or pustules) and I've been on Accutane for 5.5 months. I had a minimal IB (hard to tell because the acne wasn't more than I usually get) and started clearing around Week 10. I haven't had a big cyst for the last 3 months and I think Accutane has been a big success.

I agree that most other treatments, whether it's apple cider vinegar, ProActiv, Retin-A, deer antler horns, dietary changes, voodoo, etc., are complete bullshit.

The only quibble I have with your post is that most medical research shows that Accutane effectiveness and prevention of relapse are directly correlated with cumulative dosage. You need to have, at a minimum, 120-150 mg/kg to feel somewhat confident in an effective treatment. When I finish in 2 weeks, I will have had 210 mg/kg cumulative.

So I hope the acne stays away for you but based on your weight, I'm not sure you hit the minimum threshold.