Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I heard probiotic drinks can make your skin nice and clear, I've been drinking one a day for a few days now and have gradually been getting more and more ill, I hardly ever get ill! First the shits, next day a sore throat with lots of phlem, later that day a blocked nose, and today I felt so weak I could hardly get out of bed but I had to becauses of the shits lol. Don't waste your money on this crap like I did. Needless to say, I wont be drinking anymore.

It sounds like you may be allergic to/can't tolerate something in it. Do you have a problem with dairy at all? What's happening to you is basically what happens to me when I have copious amounts of dairy; especially the concentrated stuff like cream and cheese.

But I digress, what you say about those probiotic drinks is basically right, they have such small amounts of bacteria in them and are pasteurised and what not, their next to useless anyway. I would recommend instead a good quality probiotic such as 3-lac if you want to go down that route, or you could even make your own if yoghurt/kefir if you have a good quality base and can tolerate dairy products.

I don't have a problem with dairy, but i've noticed some yogurt breaks me out, but dairy doesnt give me stomach issues or anything.

I don't have a problem with dairy, but i've noticed some yogurt breaks me out, but dairy doesnt give me stomach issues or anything.

stomach issues aren't the only reaction an allergy or food intolerance causes. There are many others. Breakouts for example.

being a vegetarian i use an acidophyllus supplement which is vegan friendly (i.e. no dairy)...I dont know how its effected my skin, but definately helped with my solid pot belly which I developed after long term antibiotic use.

I have seen a non-dairy probiotic drink in the supermarket called "Goodbelly". It's pretty expensive but one member on this board had good things to say about it.

What sort of probiotic drink was it? What type of bacteria were in it?

My guess is it wasn't just plain lactobacillus acidophilus.

from what I have read " Lactobacillus reuteri " scould be one of the strains whit the most benefits

but It's not that simple I believe. I wounder if Bifidobacterium longum BB536 wouldn't be better for inflammation. all this Probiotics is so :confused: hard to figure out, and then there is individual differences. so its properly trail and error to find the one that works best

from what I have read " Lactobacillus reuteri " scould be one of the strains whit the most benefits

but It's not that simple I believe. I wounder if Bifidobacterium longum BB536 wouldn't be better for inflammation. all this Probiotics is so :confused: hard to figure out, and then there is individual differences. so its properly trail and error to find the one that works best

It definitely is a trial-and-error process but in my readings I've come across some general principles; if you've got more loose stool-type issues then it seems lactobacillus strains are your best bet while constipation issues are best addressed with bifidobacterium. Don't quote me on this though, this is just what I've noticed in my research.

Another thing too that I'm not a big fan of is these multi-strain probiotic products out there right now; while I can appreciate that some bacteria may be symbiotic, a large majority of them are competitive. For instance, in those with autism or other issues treatable with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet the bifidobacterium strains of bacteria often overrun the gut; supplementing with a multi-strain that contains bifidobacteria will only worsen the problem. My advice would be to test out researched single strains and see how you react.