Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

feeling depressed because of acne

What do you guys do when you get depressed because of your acne? I feel so down and sad about it. Im tired of breaking out everyday. I woke up to three pustules this morning. My forehead is always clear, my nose is always shiny, my cheeks are usually dry, I get breakouts there but not often and my chin, near my mouth, and my jawline are a freaking disaster. I fucking hate acne

Take your mind off of it. Stay away from any reminders like mirrors during the day. Lot of mental toughness. The stress eventually takes control, and leaves you on your bed crying for a few hours. Problems are never a battle; They're usually a drawn out war with bittersweet results.

When my thousands of problems become unbearable, I sign on here to write. Other times I'll go running, or out to the court. You have to find your escape. Escapes are needed when we need a break from the fight.

I know how you feel. I got pretty down last night as I looked in the mirror and saw some new inflammation. (plus the pittsburgh penguins lost). I have a bacteria infection which keeps coming back. Conventional medicine has done nothing for me and it's disheartening. The doctors/dermatologists hand out antibiotics as if they were candy. I've been trying to heal myself from the inside out naturally, but it's difficult. Mostly everything we consume has preservatives or artificial sweetners/colors or added hormones or added antibiotics or added steroids and so on. I believe that these things surpress our immune systems which make it hard to fight off infection/illnesses/diseases. However there is more than our daily consumption that add to our illnesses/disease and such. Enough about that. I needed to vent and get that out.

Try meditation. Sit and focus on your breathing. Take deeps breaths in and exhale longer. It seems to calm my mind when I take the time to do this. Throughout the day try to pay attention to your breathing. I think it helps to take deeper breaths and be aware of your breathing. I never paid attention to my breathing until recently and the more I'm aware of my breathing the less stressed out I am about life. Thats my two cents. Hope it helps.

Be happy. Remind yourself that the human body has the ability to heal its self. It's an incredible creation!

One more tidbit go for a walk outside. Nature has a way of healing the body and soothing the mind.

Have a great day and cheer up. Love the life you have.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your acne, those periods of time always suck. =/

I have actually arrived at a good place with my acne. I still break out at times, but even when I do, I don't see it as big of a deal anymore. I just realized there is a lot more to myself than my skin. I know it takes a lot to arrive at that point, and since nobody is perfect, I do find that I have bad days once in a while. Usually I write out what I'm feeling in a journal. The physical act of putting a pen to paper is very cathartic.

I hope things get better for you soon! :comfort:

Hey Molly. I know how you fell hon, but you have to live your life as if you didnt have acne. Do not keep putting yourself down. You will have clear skin dont give up. Another thing I noticed is you use too many products on your face, and thats not good. I used to break out alot around my upper lip and chin, man that was wack. Oh and is your make up oil free and non-comendegenic? Becuase make up and creams clog your pores like crazy! Okay so my derm told me to purchase clinque make up,it is great for acne pron skin, and it is WAAAAY less oily than mac. I used true balance foundation with the mineral powder and it covers me up great! It gives me an airburshed look. I have been on TAZORAC AND DUAC for only 1 week 1/2 and i can see it working. Yes i will not lie it makes your skin a little dry and tender but you must use the right moisterizers. And the first 4 days i broke out but it was becuase the medication is cleaning out my pores. My back is still in the breaking out period. I know this combination will work. It was a break through for people with acne, DO THE REASEARCH GIRL! try this, i have a STRONG feeling it will work.

MORNING:

1-wash face with CETAPHIL ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAP BAR (great 4 oily and dry skin)

2- Cetaphil SPF 15 face cream

3-DUAC CREAM .05 pea size all over face and back (i have back acne 2 :cry: ) wait 30 min

4- clinque foundation, mineral powder, a little blush

Night:

1-take make up off with acholol free make up tissue

2-wash with cetaphil anit bacterial soap bar

3-apply spf cetaphil face cream

4-wait 30 min and the apply TAZORAC .05 CREAM TO ACNE AREAS ONLY

Molly, I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. I have been suffering with acne for 3 years now, I think it was the worse at the beginning of puberty. But I have depressed MANY of times and even thought of suicide at times :| .

The first thing is that, if you have any mirrors in your room that you look out threw out the day, your best bet is to move them or cover them. And just think, there are much more things to look foward to in life. And another thing, just think, in a few years after puberty(assuming you are in puberty), you will have flawless skin.

Another thing is take your mind completely off your acne. Go out with friends, listen to some music, play some computer games, watch TV. Or if you know someone that you are comfortable talking with, give them a call. Just pretty much anything to get your acne off your mind, trust me acne isn't that bad if you dont think about it.

One more thing, before I post this. Get help to treat your acne. Personally, I will never go to a dermatoligist again, their prescribitions do not work at all. Unless they are prescribing you a extreme drug, like Accutane. I do not reccomend you get Accutane, especially if you are still growing. But hey, if you are 17 or 18 and still have acne, then you may want to consider it.

I hope I could help, and I know where you're coming from, it's tough to deal with. But just beating yourself up about your acne will just make you wose, and trigger stress nerves. Take care and hope you get beautiful skin soon, I'm praying for you! :D

ahhh i know how you feel.our acne situation is the same i feel like my forehead and cheeks are usually pretty decent but my jawline and chin is a completely different story. :( hopefully one day we both will be acne free!

Molly, I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. I have been suffering with acne for 3 years now, I think it was the worse at the beginning of puberty. But I have depressed MANY of times and even thought of suicide at times :| .

The first thing is that, if you have any mirrors in your room that you look out threw out the day, your best bet is to move them or cover them. And just think, there are much more things to look foward to in life. And another thing, just think, in a few years after puberty(assuming you are in puberty), you will have flawless skin.

Another thing is take your mind completely off your acne. Go out with friends, listen to some music, play some computer games, watch TV. Or if you know someone that you are comfortable talking with, give them a call. Just pretty much anything to get your acne off your mind, trust me acne isn't that bad if you dont think about it.

One more thing, before I post this. Get help to treat your acne. Personally, I will never go to a dermatoligist again, their prescribitions do not work at all. Unless they are prescribing you a extreme drug, like Accutane. I do not reccomend you get Accutane, especially if you are still growing. But hey, if you are 17 or 18 and still have acne, then you may want to consider it.

I hope I could help, and I know where you're coming from, it's tough to deal with. But just beating yourself up about your acne will just make you wose, and trigger stress nerves. Take care and hope you get beautiful skin soon, I'm praying for you! :D

Im actually twenty five years old and Ive been battling this terrible skin disease for twelve years.

Hey Molly. I know how you fell hon, but you have to live your life as if you didnt have acne. Do not keep putting yourself down. You will have clear skin dont give up. Another thing I noticed is you use too many products on your face, and thats not good. I used to break out alot around my upper lip and chin, man that was wack. Oh and is your make up oil free and non-comendegenic? Becuase make up and creams clog your pores like crazy! Okay so my derm told me to purchase clinque make up,it is great for acne pron skin, and it is WAAAAY less oily than mac. I used true balance foundation with the mineral powder and it covers me up great! It gives me an airburshed look. I have been on TAZORAC AND DUAC for only 1 week 1/2 and i can see it working. Yes i will not lie it makes your skin a little dry and tender but you must use the right moisterizers. And the first 4 days i broke out but it was becuase the medication is cleaning out my pores. My back is still in the breaking out period. I know this combination will work. It was a break through for people with acne, DO THE REASEARCH GIRL! try this, i have a STRONG feeling it will work.

MORNING:

1-wash face with CETAPHIL ANTI-BACTERIAL SOAP BAR (great 4 oily and dry skin)

2- Cetaphil SPF 15 face cream

3-DUAC CREAM .05 pea size all over face and back (i have back acne 2 :cry: ) wait 30 min

4- clinque foundation, mineral powder, a little blush

Night:

1-take make up off with acholol free make up tissue

2-wash with cetaphil anit bacterial soap bar

3-apply spf cetaphil face cream

4-wait 30 min and the apply TAZORAC .05 CREAM TO ACNE AREAS ONLY

I dont think I use too many products on my face. I use a face wash, an acne treatment, a moisturizer, a foundation, a blush and a finishing powder, oh yeah and jojoba oil to remove my make up. The foundation I use is water based and I know it isnt an acne trigger. Ive had acne before I even started wearing make up

The pattern you describe is classic for hormonal acne, and the same kinds of hormonal changes that can trigger acne can also be strongly associated with depression in some people. You may want to talk to your doctor about this.

I have found that when I'm depressed, I can always find something that I'm sad about, but I can have just as big of problems when my hormones are under control without the depression. I'd say rather than focus on the acne, consider treating the depression.

Yea, I do know how you feel. I will turn 25 this summer and I'm in grad school with a bunch of other people in their mid-twenties who have managed to outgrow their acne. I was self-treating with OTC stuff for a few years with mixed results, but I finally decided to try the derm again a few weeks ago because I have a very important internship this summer and I need to look like a grown up, not a teenager. Over the past year, I broke out during the holidays (when I see my extended family and, more importantly, my boyfriend's family) and before job interviews. It's awful. It kills your confidence. I have stayed home from parties/bars when my friends go out if I had a bad breakout. It sucks.

Anyway, my points are: (1) it really isn't just you and the best thing about this site is reminding you of that, and (2) my confidence/feelings toward my skin tend to go in cycles. Right now I feel pretty good because I'm on a new treatment plan and it's working out so far and I'm full of optimism. But a month ago, I was completely in despair at the imminence of my 25th birthday and my 15 yr old's skin. So, hopefully your mood will improve soon!

Here's what I would do. Allow your self 1 night of guilt-free sulking. Cry, finish an entire bottle of wine yourself, whatever you want. Then, the next morning, sleep off the hangover and come up with a plan. A new dermatologist, maybe an endocrinologist, if things aren't working for you right now. Then, forget about your skin for the time being and throw the rest of your energy into another aspect of your life- professional, personal, whatever else could use some of the attention that goes into your skin.

Anyway, I hope that helps and, if not, I hope you figure out what you need to do to get out of this rut. Maybe you just needed to vent a little on the board :-)

Sorry to hear that your feeling down Molly. You always give really good advice in the forums and have helped alot of people, I hope you bounce back soon. :D

Sorry to hear that your feeling down Molly. You always give really good advice in the forums and have helped alot of people, I hope you bounce back soon. :D

Awww thanks