Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Midnightsun

Does wearing make up worsen acne ?

I tend to use make-up that is non-comedeogenic (sorry if misspelled) my acne its persistant I get new zits on a daily basis the only time my skin was 85% clear was when I was doing laser treatments but I cannot afford them anymore because it was like $250.00 per session and it took me 9 session it get 85% clear. If I do not wear make-up I look really dull and almost sick really red spots on my cystic acne and so many white and blackheads. I need to wear something- I use bare essentials or Make Up forever HD foundation anyways, according to my mom the reason why my face doesn't clear up is because of makeup but acne runs in my family my brother get really huge cystic acne and blackhead, I get the nasty under surface ones you can't tell of the bat unless you get really close and the it really makes me depressed....ugh!

It depends on the make up. If its not oil free yes it can and if its liquid yes it can. If its a powder with comedogenic ingredients like isopropyl palmitate, yes it can. If you have sensitive skin and it contains fragrance yes it can

I know how you feel! I have had acne for twelve years. Im twenty fives and I still suffer from moderate acne. It is very depressing. I wish I could just eat like other people without having to worry about it and I wish I could use drugstore cleansers. I also wish people werent so damn judgemental about my skin

If it isn't oil free it can make up break out more. Also, if you don't change cosmetic sponges or clean your brushes once in awhile that can add to the problem. However, I use an oil control foundation that actually helps lessen my facial oils all day which I think helps me breakout less.

i've been using Vichy products for a while with great results (see below). Cover FX is also a really good brand that is designed by dermatologists for people with severe skin conditions.

i just want to add this: i spent years covering up acne with every product under the sun until i was diagnosed with celiac disease. i went gluten-free and my skin cleared up completely within 6 months. dan's regimen really helped during the detox period and now i only use BP once a week as a safety net for the occasional spot. i really recommend anyone who has persistent, untreatable acne get checked out by a doctor, because it's likely systemic and has nothing to do with what you're putting on your face.

hang in there :comfort:

last summer i did an experiment and stopped wearing makeup for about 3 weeks to see if my skin would improve... and it didnt :( so i dont think makeup had any effect on my skin. i finally went on accutane and now i dont need makeup :) but i still wear it becuase i like being a girly girl haha. just make sure you clear your makeup brushes or whatever you use becuase they can collect bacteria and make you breakout. good luck!

last summer i did an experiment and stopped wearing makeup for about 3 weeks to see if my skin would improve... and it didnt :( so i dont think makeup had any effect on my skin. i finally went on accutane and now i dont need makeup :) but i still wear it becuase i like being a girly girl haha. just make sure you clear your makeup brushes or whatever you use becuase they can collect bacteria and make you breakout. good luck!

Wow, this is good to know. I always thought if I didn't wear makeup my skin would completely clear.

It depends a lot on the makeup. If you can, switch to an all-natural mineral makeup, and not the stuff sold in drugstores either. Mineral makeup has natural sunscreen and anti-inflammatories. Avoid anything with Talc, Bismuth Oxycloride or corn starch.

Everyday Minerals and Meow Cosmetics are really good, both provide great coverage without looking cakey or irritating skin. If you prefer liquid foundation, the powder can easily be mixed with moisturizer for added coverage.

does talc also worsen acne? because im only using powder on my face to control the oil and shine.