Notifications
Clear all

Dent from Cortisone shot

MemberMember
(@juicygirl)

Posted : 05/04/2009 5:06 pm

heyyy everyone... OKKK the more answers the betttttttter. So please anyone... anything would be greaaaaaaaaat.

So I never really get cortisone shots ....but when I started Accutane for persistant acne.... I got a cortisone shot for a reallllly big cyst in betweeen my eye brows pretty much. But anyways this was at the end of Febuary and the cyst went down reallly realllly quick. And as March and April went by I started to notice a DENT! more towards the beginning of April did it become very very obvious there was a dent :( Sooooo i was like what the heck is this from..... then I heard that this could happen with cortisone shots. I was so depressssed. And I heard its because of fat cell shrinkage or something...but it should go back to normal.... with time. I saw my derm and he said it should go back to normal with time toooo. But I want to hear if this happend to other people toooo? Because its making me so depressssed. And my derm saying ooooh it should go back to normal..isnt enough for me. In a way it seeems to be getting better but idk..... anythinggggg. Thankkkksssssss xoxo

MemberMember
(@greeneyes44)

Posted : 05/04/2009 7:51 pm

Well I have good news and bad news for you.

Some cortisone dents do go away after some time but others can be permanent.

I had one dent on my chin that has been there for over a year so I know that sucker is permanent.

I recently got a very stubborn cyst of 2 months injected twice and within a week it was flattened but I was left with a dent. And now there is a new cyst growing right over half of the dent. Lovely!

There's no telling yet if this new dent will fill back in over time - it usually takes me 6 months for the collagen to build back up but I am older now at 39 years old and my face doesn't have the same amount of collagen it used to in my 20's :(

If you are still young there's a good chance your skin will bounce back and the dent will fill back in.

As for me if this one doesn't I may look into getting a little juvederm injected which is supposed to promote new collagen growth.

Good luck! I know firsthand how much cysts, scars, and dents do suck!

MemberMember
(@juicygirl)

Posted : 05/04/2009 9:56 pm

this is my only real scar/dent thats very noticable. Thanks for your response though. I'm 20 and the dent seems to be changing on the daily/weekly which may or may not be a goood thing. Because I got it injected at the end of Febuary...and at the end of March it really started to cave in somewhat and show an obvious dent...because it didn't really show at first. and Im not sure...it could be all in my head but it seems like the dent is slowly becoming smaller...it just feels and looks differnt..so i can only be hopeful. If its still really bad by my next derm appt... i will get juvaderm/botox or whatever as sooooooon as i can. But thanks for your response.

MemberMember
(@dishnswish)

Posted : 05/11/2009 12:39 pm

i've had a few dents from cortisone injections, but they all heal after about a month or so.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/11/2009 12:45 pm

Ive had more than twenty cystic pimple injections in my lifetime and out of all of those injections, only one left an indentation. Its on my chin and its still here three years later.

MemberMember
(@socalgal42)

Posted : 05/11/2009 7:59 pm

I was devastated when I had a really big, deep indent from a cortisone injection on my cheek. Luckily it went away in a month or two. good luck

MemberMember
(@wantonwonderer)

Posted : 05/12/2009 4:11 pm

I've had many cortisone (kenalog) injections and only got one dent, on the top of my forehead dead center. I felt like it was very noticeable and it was a significant dent. I was doubtful that it would ever fill in, but within about four months it did. It is no longer visible. I believe this is typical for cortisone-related dents. It will make me think twice about getting injections as a quick fix. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@devendralover)

Posted : 05/12/2009 5:06 pm

I think it depends on your skin really. I am 27 years old and have a nice dent on my hairline from an injection that I got about 8 months ago. The dent has filled in a bit but not much. This should be a warning for all people looking to get an injection as a quick fix, sure your cyst will go away but at what expense. Just give it a year or so and if it does not fill in by then I would talk to my derm about getting some sort of filler if it bothers you that much. IMO I would rather have this little dent then have a derm try to inject something in my face to fill it up. Derms and needles=scary for me!

MemberMember
(@weakbreakfast)

Posted : 07/06/2013 8:44 am

I recently visited a doctor to treat the keloids/hypertrophic acne scars on my chin. The doctor injected steroids on my scars, to flatten them. After one week plus, one of them now has a very visible indentation. I am having mixed feelings now as different people has different recovery experience.

Juicygirl, is your indentation gone?

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 07/31/2013 2:06 pm

I would also love to know. This is my first time posting but I've been reading the forum for years. I guess this cortisone dent finally pushed me to post.

I got a relatively small pimple on my chin injected May 8 (very stupid in hindsight but I was going on a trip for work and had to give a presentation) and a dent started to appear a couple of weeks later. I think it got worse for about 2-4 weeks but very gradually so actually hard to tell. In the 10 weeks since the dent appeared it has gotten a little better - doesn't look like as much of a hole anymore but overall hasn't gotten much better (maybe 20-30% - really hard to tell as it depends SO MUCH on lighting). And the discolouration is fading which also makes it look a little less noticeable and may be causing me to overestimate the actual collagen improvement.

I'm finally going to see my GP tomorrow (he did the original cortisone shot for me and has done so before with no problems) and basically beg him to try the saline injections. I'm 31 and suspect my healing is slower than someone in their twenties but I'm desperate for this to get better.

Any reassurance out there?