Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pink_polka234

Let's take a Vote: Does the "don't wash" method work?

Does Doing Nothing help acne?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Does Doing Nothing help acne?

• Yes
    • No

I personally don't think that not washing your face and not doing anything doesn't really help but lots of people here say that your face will balance out on its own and eventually produce less oil or something. Here's an example: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Natural-R...en-t222289.html i'm debating on wether to try this out, I am not sure if it's worth having HORRIBLE SKIN for a while. Maybe when i'm out of school...:)

Doing nothing, I think, is only beneficial when something you have been doing has been making your skin unbalanced in a way which is adversely affecting it.

I think skin type can change based on a number of factors, sometimes in the middle of regimens meant for a skin type which suddenly doesn't match the skin it's being applied to anymore, which can result in a sudden imbalance in the skin, causing a breakout.

In that case, doing nothing gives the skin a chance to return to a state which will allow you to troubleshoot the regimen you're using.

EDIT: Note that by doing nothing, I mean applying no topicals besides plain water.

It's a just a big fad right now. It might work, but it's not necessary to go to such extreme measures. It's people that have been using tons of harsh irritating and/or alkaline cleansers and topicals and now, instead of simply stopping using such products, they do this extreme thing because for some reason, people tend to be extreme. Like dieters who starve themselves, then binge eat.

You can do water only, such as wiping your face with a warm damp cloth. I'd use a mild cleanser or cleansing oil if you have makeup to remove. This is what I use but my skin is no longer very oily since my diet changes 3 years ago. Also, follow with diluted ACV or other acidic or PH balanced toner.

The surface of your skin is meant to be acidic. It gets that way by secreting acidic sebum and sweat which creates what's called the acid mantle. Microbes like bacteria and fungus can't live in an acidic environment so the acidity provides protection.

I do support limiting your use of cleansers to reduce the impact of chemicals on the environment and you, not to mention reducing waste and saving money. It's just not necessary to use all these chemicals they put in commercial products.

Guest missyjean130

My brother got rid of acne using this method while he was in prison.

He told me when I first started getting acne," Just splash your face with hot water and nothing else."

Well...I tried myself,but I unfortunately didn't get the same results as him.

So it didn't work for me,I even tried not using water on my face at all.

So while I didn't see any results,some people do.

I have no idea. I would never even think of not washing my face. It makes me so mad that some of my co workers wash their face with only water and they dont even get one pimple. Yet I wash my face twice a day with a cleanser and I break out.

Not in my experience. I only washed with water for a year and started to break out. I needed treatment to get rid of my acne.

Based on my own personal experience,

The actual cause of my acne was poor health, bad habits, eating too much junk food and processed food, not taking care of my body through good sleep and lifestyle choices (I was drinking too much) and basically correcting imbalances holistically and becoming healthier is what ended my acne. Nowadays, I get the odd pimple and it hardly matters. Why? Because I don't do anything to my face and so if I get a small one once a month, it goes away really quickly on it's own because my skin is healthy...

I very occasionally use make up (I've used it twice in the past month) and when I do, I use a quality mineral powder foundation (a light layer) which has a small list of ingredients. And I wash it off with the most gentle cleanser for my skin which happens to be nutrogena's extra gentle cleanser. Sometimes I'll moisturise but only when really needed, and even then only with a pretty expensive organic one (with neem, lavender oil, avocado oil etc etc). Aside from this, I do nothing to my face. Sometimes my face gets wet in the shower, that's fine, I just dab it dry.

My whole complexion is so much better so that my red marks and any rare new pimple is nowhere near as noticeable since my complexion is quite glowing now and far more even. The skin is thicker so that when I do occasionally wear make up and then use cleanser to get it off, it doesn't get irritated. I've been doing this for a couple of months now... I just gradually used less and less on my face. Nothing extreme at all.

So I think in terms of the quality of your skin, doing nothing is far better. So it will help, IMHO. But if you do nothing and don't take away the root cause of the acne, you'll still get it.

I have no idea. I would never even think of not washing my face. It makes me so mad that some of my co workers wash their face with only water and they dont even get one pimple. Yet I wash my face twice a day with a cleanser and I break out.

This post annoys me A LOT. Another slave to their regimen..

agreed..

and you have to give it time before it works.. because when you just come off using topical and cleansers for years and years, and then try the "do nothing" you face will need time to adjust.. so it may become worse before it gets better. but of course for the majority of people here, when you dont see results fast, we give up and say "it doesnt work"

I personally tried not washing or washing with only water.

It did help when i was going through an antibiotic regimen with clindamycin, washing used to make my skin worse.

But with BP usage i've gotta get rid of dead skin cells and oil which appears from time to time, if i don't - voila, black and white dots, sometimes leading to inflammation.

Also i believe you can practice it when you've got all your hormonal and other inner stuff together.

Otherwise, this is totally useless and even harmful.

Your skin had enough of rough experiments, give it a brake.

Everytime i try not washing i break out really bad. I get on average 2 small spots everyday but when i stop washing i end up getting 6-8 spots a day, and they're much worse.

It sucks.

I had been using just a mild cleanser for months but still got small spots, so decided to do the 'no washing' regimen and i ended up getting really bad breakouts, and i've tried it on two seperate occasions so i know it's because of that. I have dry skin, and maybe that has something to do with it as i imagine oily skin cleanses the skin.

Washing my face doesn't do anything for me in terms of preventing pimples.

My skin has gotten less oily with my new diet relative to my old diet, but there's still buildup by the end of the day, so before bed I wash my face with basic soap. Otherwise, I don't really use any cleansers.

What? Its the truth! Some people dont take care of their skin and they dont get acne while others take care of their skin and get acne no matter what

agreed..

and you have to give it time before it works.. because when you just come off using topical and cleansers for years and years, and then try the "do nothing" you face will need time to adjust.. so it may become worse before it gets better. but of course for the majority of people here, when you dont see results fast, we give up and say "it doesnt work"

When have I ever said I dont like my cleanser and my aczone?

Most people need to use a cleanser to clean their face. Thats just gross to use water. Thatd be like if someone washed their hair without shampoo

I personally don't think that not washing your face and not doing anything doesn't really help but lots of people here say that your face will balance out on its own and eventually produce less oil or something. Here's an example: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Natural-R...en-t222289.html i'm debating on wether to try this out, I am not sure if it's worth having HORRIBLE SKIN for a while. Maybe when i'm out of school...:)

It's highly beneficial if:

1. You are not genetically prone to acne but creating one by using acne products (most of the people here dont fall into that category i guess)

2. You are using products that are too harsh and irritating your skin, which will stop it from healing AND possibly create more acne. In this case, not using them will slow oil production, eventually, as your skin goes back to what it produces naturally

3. You are sensitive to any of the ingredients in the product. (Most people assume that they're not and don't bother to find out)

the dont wash method won't work if you have hormonal acne. since the oil is still there and your not exfoliating the dead skins cells from ur face ur still gonna get clogged pores and acne.

What? Its the truth! Some people dont take care of their skin and they dont get acne while others take care of their skin and get acne no matter what

agreed..

When have I ever said I dont like my cleanser and my aczone?

Most people need to use a cleanser to clean their face. Thats just gross to use water. Thatd be like if someone washed their hair without shampoo

I havent washed my hair in like 7 years and people love my hair. just because everyone else is using shampoo doesnt make it right. google the 'no shampoo' method. im not the only one.

oh and also, scrubbing your skin with chemicals is not looking after your skin. your friends are looking after their skin by leaving it alone.

what adam said was true.. whats so mean about it? i dont think he was trying to offend you in any way

Adam08, you arent being very nice. I didnt say anything wrong that justifies you writing to me this way. Im blocking you

You're calling people 'gross' who don't use cleansers on their face... That's a lot of people.. I don't use a cleanser anymore and my skin is better for it.. I don't break out anymore, so I don't see how I'm more 'gross' because of this.. If anything, quite the opposite.

I see you constantly bashing this method and saying things like cleansers are necessary for everyone. Please think outside the box.

I havent washed my hair in like 7 years and people love my hair. just because everyone else is using shampoo doesnt make it right. google the 'no shampoo' method. im not the only one.

oh and also, scrubbing your skin with chemicals is not looking after your skin. your friends are looking after their skin by leaving it alone.

basically, yep!

Also, acne is genetic for me also - in the family... whether hormonal or liver or whatever, these imbalances occur through some kind of ill health... acne isn't a normal state. It's a sign that there's something not quite right with how your body is working, or it doesn't like what's happening. Basically, something is pissing it off. Once you sort out the root cause, you don't need cleanser or anything and in fact you start to have this lovely glow (I got complimented on it just this morning!) because you're not stripping your fragile skin with harsh topicals.

and ps. the less I wash my hair, the better it looks. I didn't condition for two months (just gentle shampoo once or twice a week) and just last week went out on the town and got compliments all night. go figure... maybe to get natural beauty you need to rely on nature?

Adam08, you arent being very nice. I didnt say anything wrong that justifies you writing to me this way. Im blocking you

You're calling people 'gross' who don't use cleansers on their face... That's a lot of people.. I don't use a cleanser anymore and my skin is better for it.. I don't break out anymore, so I don't see how I'm more 'gross' because of this.. If anything, quite the opposite.

I see you constantly bashing this method and saying things like cleansers are necessary for everyone. Please think outside the box.

Look, you can wash your face with whatever you want. For me, it makes me feel gross