Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ytj83

When did your acne go away?

I've been suffering with acne for about three years. I'm 19 now. I've tried just about everything, from over the counter products to natural remedies to prescription stuff, with no luck at all. I think at this point I just need to ride out the storm and wait until it just goes away naturally. How many of you (that are about my age) just had your acne go away eventually? How long did you have acne for (i mean bad acne...not just the occasional pimple)?

I have had acne for as long as you have and i am also 19. I still have acne but ever since i started using AHA facial wash and lotion with 10% BP, switching to 2.5% when i can, my skin just feels better and softer and i have already noticed a slight improvement. I followed the same steps as Dan's regimen, cleanse, wait 10min. then apply BP and wait 10min again and apply moisturizer and leave on. The strange thing is when i leave on BP or anything on overnight i wake up to really oily skin, more than i normally do. I felt like giving up too and just keeping my face clean until i grow out of it but keep researching and trying different regimens, also for me shaving helps keep my skin clear and the light burning or stinging sensation from BP and cleansers actually lets me know that it is working. Give AHA facial wash and lotion with BP a try but use 2.5% BP and stay clean and dont touch your face.

Almost 22 and no signs of it going away any time soon. Suffering for 6 years now. IDK if you're female but bcp helped me out a bit, I wish I'd gone on them sooner.

I'm coming up to 19 and still have acne which has got worse over time but very recently it is showing some signs of improvement.

im 26.

i had moderate to severe acne from age 12-18. after finding a good derm who put me on a regimen of oral antibiotics, benzaclin during the day, and tazorac gel at night, my skin was perfectly clear for about 5 years. when i was 23, my skin started breaking out occasionally, and now that im 26 i can definitely say that i have "adult acne." its pretty annoying, and im on a search for a new derm (i just moved).

i would say people i know grew out of it in their late teens.

It has never gone away! I'm 39 years old and still dealing with cystic acne. For me it's a hormonal thing and it's gotten worse with age. I take Spironolactone which helps but I still get the stubborn occasional cyst. If I didn't take it my acne would look way worse now than it did when I was a teenager and I would never leave my house.

I've been suffering with acne for about three years. I'm 19 now. I've tried just about everything, from over the counter products to natural remedies to prescription stuff, with no luck at all. I think at this point I just need to ride out the storm and wait until it just goes away naturally. How many of you (that are about my age) just had your acne go away eventually? How long did you have acne for (i mean bad acne...not just the occasional pimple)?

I would like to know this thing too. I am in the same situation as u are. I'm 19. Male. And since i've tried anything and no major results..i decided to just wait for the years to pass and slow down my teenage hormones activity. If u are a girl, then it's different.

You may have already grew out of it. But your skin is weakened from the continuation of topicals. Ever think about why your skin is never normal? Always dry or shiny with a fake and dull look to it, while there are some people with acne, who has got normal skin? Do yourself a favour and look up the no washing and caveman threads on the forum.

I'm 24 and dealt with moderate to severe acne off and on for about 7 years. I finally saw a GOOD dermatologist and my acne cleared up! I get compliments on my skin all of the time. My skin was so bad that they wanted to put me on Accutane. I refused and we started other treatments and within about a month and a half it was noticeably better. Prior to seeing the derm I had tried EVERYTHING. I tried almost all of the different face washes, masks, oral antibiotics, and topical medicines. I even experimented with my diet thinking that I had a food sensitivity. Turns out I have really sensitive skin and I need to eat mushrooms and peanut butter in moderation. I also believe that hormones were playing a role.

My current regime:

Purpose facewash (Morning and Night)

Topical clindamycin (Morning and Night)

Benzoyl Peroxide (prescription strength from derm) (Night)

Birth control- I had originally been on Yasmin along with Spiranolactone, stopped the Spiranolactone and continued with BCP. Switched to Ortho-tri-cyclen, then Ortho Cyclen, and now on Yaz. My skin has been clear the whole time throughout all of the pill switching

I also exercise about 5 days a week and try to eat whole foods.

Keep up the faith and hang in there! It will go away

i don't think many people on here have been fortunate enough to 'have their acne go away' if they had why would they still be posting here!?

Well, personally I'm still here because while my active acne may be mostly gone I still have issues relating to it : hyperpigmentation, scarring, and oily skin, all of which have forums on here. I also thought that some people might appreciate advice from another person who has been where they are and found something that worked and got them through.

i don't think many people on here have been fortunate enough to 'have their acne go away' if they had why would they still be posting here!?

Well, personally I'm still here because while my active acne may be mostly gone I still have issues relating to it : hyperpigmentation, scarring, and oily skin, all of which have forums on here. I also thought that some people might appreciate advice from another person who has been where they are and found something that worked and got them through.

Did u do anything for your acne? i mean..did u use any products?

I ask this because i personally had a very bad acne when i was 15..took accutane at 17...cleared my face...and at 18 and something it came back.. but not even close as i was at 17 before starting accutane. I am 19 now. And i am afraid..because i don't want to use anything on my face anymore. Because, i think that u still have that oily skin because u used so many products on your face which destroyed your skin's power to keep it healthy and u have become sensitive. I don't want that. I want that when i will be 20 something, i will be able to sleep with my face in dirt and not get anything the next day. xD

So, now, after using accutane and acne coming right back(but in a WAAAY easier proportion, i mean..i'm like 10% tops from how i was at 17 years thank God:) ), my biggest problems are:

1)SUPER oily t-zone...and by super i really mean super! and because of this i get zits in various places

2) I kinda get pimples on my cheeks...like..2-3 per month.. but they are always big..and they leave me a big red spot that seems to last like...forever X( [this is the baddest thing that my acne gives to me, i really hate it] - Kinda clear cheeks...but with red flat spots...i look like a fucking cartoon character.

2)marks on forehead because of a recent big breakout.. but pimples don't seem to come out in major breakouts anymore.. i only have red spots(marks) and it does grow a zit in like ..i don't know..1-2 a week..but they are small and they go away fast.

As a regimen... i eat healthy, no chocolate, fast food, snacks, sweets, sugar, etc. no juice, only water for more than a year. And for external use i just wash my face with water 2 times per day(in the morning and in the evening), and every night, and sometimes morning, i use a solution only on my affected parts of the face, only where i have pimples, that dries them.. that's all.

But i've read that only washing your face with water doesn't eliminate dead skin and cells from the surface of the skin. Maybe this is why i get pimples from time to time? What should i use in this case?

As for the oily skin being related to products, who knows. The only acne products I use on my face are BP and a retinoid. Both of my parents still have oily skin in their 40s, so I have a feeling that it may be hereditary and that it's just the skin type that I ended up with. Even if it is due to products, I'd rather deal with a little bit of oil on my face than full-blown acne. My current regimen that's keeping me clear is this:

AM:

- wash with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

- apply 2.5% BP (Neutrogena on the Spot)

- moisturize with aloe vera (FOTE brand)

PM:

- wash with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser using Clarisonic (I know opinions on this are mixed but I love it, it's made such a difference in my skin)

- clay mask (Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque)

- topical retinoid (been using a Neutrogena one, waiting for my Green Cream to come in the mail. I'm hoping a stronger retinoid will fade my hyperpigmentation faster.)

Makeup:

- Lancome Teint Idole foundation

- Lancome Photogenic powder

For me, my acne isn't affected by diet or lifestyle so I don't do anything special as far as that's concerned, however I know that's not the case for everyone.

I still have acne, less severe. I was 14 when it started (at least that's whe I remember it got bad), and I'll be 22 in July. Started on my forehead, moved to my cheeks, now by my lips and chin. Maybe it's running it's course? Idk......

my mild (just several zits at a time, and some redness/blemishes) acne went away my junior year of college. now i just the occasional hormonal zit, i'm 27 now. my biggest problem however is dull and uneven skin tone. now i know that is very minor compared to what some users struggle with, and is very manageable with tinted moisturizer or face powder - i use benefit you rebel original tint and benefit hello flawless powder--i use benefit That Gal primer, then apply the you rebel and face powder if i'm going out at night. But during the day it's either or, whatever i feel like putting on..however without either one it's hello dullsville :P i also have slight melasma from my birth control pills on the side of my face and forehead, nothing bad unless you look really close i guess. and when my zits heal, mostly on their own, they leave the dark spots that fade with time.

i did order Dan's AHA lotion, will that really help give me a more even skin tone? i want that natural glow like right from the shower.

my current regimen:

morning: wash with neutrogena visibly even face cleanser (i dont think this works though, but it's a nice cleanser)

moisturize with aveeno ultra calming spf 15 moisturizer -- i have some redness some days and it does seem to help

benefit you rebel spf 15 tinted moisturizer and/or benefit you flawless spf 15 powder --my salesgirl said if i use a regular moisturizer, to put it on before the benefit stuff, will help it go more even especially since i have dry patches on my face.

night time: wash with neutrogena visibly even face cleanser

apply CVS generic 2.5% BP (spot treatment only on red areas or breakouts)

apply olay age defying eye cream

moisturize with Clinique moisture surge face gel -- i usually break out with clinique products, but i got this one as a gift and it actually works ok and doesn't break me out.

....and will be adding Dan's AHA to my routine once I get the shipment!

Any tips on how to use the AHA?

Well, I'm almost 18 and just went all natural and my acne seems to be significantly reduced and less present. Hopeful in a year or two, I'll be clear. Jeez, I hope I didn't jinx myself.

Anyway, my brother used to have really bad acne and now is 19 and is down to very few. So it defintely dwindles as you age though I can't really be positive in my case and my brother did just join the marines and has an intense physical regime. Sorry if this is not that helpful. Here's to hoping, I think most people clear up, you don't see many adults (or any) with acne.

Well I'm 21, male, and I can definitely say that things have improved over the years, but I've not outgrown it... 16/17 I had very bad moderate acne that has left scarring.. I think part of it was not knowing what the hell I was doing. (Over washing, applying too many topicals, Proactive definitely made things worse.)

By 19 I'd say it was more mild, and I had less oil, but for some reason I seemed to accumulate alot of scars. I don't understand it, but it was almost like a scar would form without acne and stay there. I think maybe my skin was just so screwed up from all the topicals and acne and crap.

Since then I basically gave up and just use cetaphil cleanser day and night. Now I rarely get any cysts at all, get a few inflamed pimples, but I have horrible skin tone. I look all right in halogen lights, but florescent lights at school, or sunlight... Blah. Also I have blackheads all over my face that make large pores. Doctors have even now recommended accutane (which I wish I took at 17), and I was ready to start, believing the derm that its safe... However I recently found out that it's used as a chemotherapy. That's actually why it was developed. So since learning that, I've kind of cancelled those plans. Don't know what to do.

I'm 19 and my acne pretty much went away when I started University (less veggies, more junk food... :whistle: ). I stopped using any chemicals on my face, now I just use water and sometimes an acv/green tea toner.

Edited by matt f

Had my first zit at around 12 years old or so but it went away and I don't remember ever really getting another noticeable one until I was around 15 and even then it was small isolated and barely noticeable. My skin was perfect until I got to college. Freshman year of college it was getting bad. I was prescribed erythromycin with Benzoyl peroxide topical antibiotic and the oral antibiotic Minocycline. I was also using a clean and clear face scrub. I never really finished any of the prescribed medication. (Lack of discipline :(). But in my first few months of college I overloaded myself with activities. So I had a lack of sleep and developed severe anxiety. I started breaking out all over my right cheek. The rest of my face was fine. But my right cheek had all the acne and scars. I'm guessing it's because I rarely washed my sheets and I did tend to sleep on my side. But in the last 2 years or so my acne started developing everywhere else. So around late August '09 (I'm 22 year old male btw), I found this site and I bought a variety of face products. I bought the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Neutrogena On-the-spot, Complex 15 Moisturizer (I forget the whole name, it's long), and Desert Essence Jojoba oil mixed in with the moisturizer. I don't think it helped at all. Used them for a few months. Then I started randomly using various cleansers and moisturizers and switched to the Acne.org BP. I tried the following cleansers: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, St. Ives Apricot Scrub, Clean and Clear Morning Burst, neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Facial Cleanser, Nivea Energizing Face Scrub. I tried the following moisturizers (I still continued mixing in jojoba oil): Complex 15, Alpha Hydrox, AHA Enhanced Lotion, Jojoba Oil (by itself), Olay Moisturizer SPF 15 (the Avobenzone one...bad idea). My most recent regimen has been:

Morning

Neutrogena oil-free acne wash redness soothing facial cleanser

Dan's BP

Olay Moisturizer spf 15 w/ jojoba oil

Night

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Dan's BP

Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion w/ jojoba oil

My skin has now become chronically dry and flaky. I'm not sure what's going on. Now, I'm trying the moisturizer the Neutrogena Visibly Even spf 15 moisturizer. It has avobenzone as well but I've come to the conclusion that the bad ingredient in the Olay product was Octocrylene. I think I might drop the AHA Enhanced Lotion cause I think it might be causing the dryness. Also, it causes severe redness on my face and neck. I'm also trying some Pantethine tablets now (3 times a day). Hasn't any shown any signs of improvement. But then I never have more than 2-3 pimples at once. But there's a lot of scarring and spots on my face. Don't know what to do with it. Sorry for the unorganized rant lol.