Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paddyrags

This days black fate on more days doth depend, this but begins the woe others must end.

Starting off with some Romeo and Juliet for funsies, well mainly cause i have a couple of essays to write on it for an exam soon but anyways... :P

Some info about the wonderful world of..me!

I'm 15, almost 16, years old, male, and I live in the jolly land of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I've had to some degree acne since I was 13 years old and it started off very mild, just a couple of spots every so often, then when i was 14, my mother (who i'l never forgive!!) told me while we were on holiday in dubai, to point my face up to the sun all the time, and that would clear me up..so me, being young and stupid, pointed my face up to the scalding sun for up to 20 mins at a time in a vain attempt to clear my spottty spot spots. That incident I believe was the real start of my issue with acne, from then on, instead of only having spots on my forehead, nose and chin area, i started to sprout tree like structures from my two cheeks, primarillly the right one..of course, in the mean time my forehead and nose have completely cleared up and my chain gets the occasional spot..so im left with a mixture of active acne and marks on both my cheeks. Luckily im supposed to wear glasses, but when im out and about i dont, so i can avoid the frustration at the school mirrors as its all a blur, it's only when i get home and look i feel so utterly defeated as iv tried everything under the sun for this stuff on my face. this includes, clearasil, clean and clear, neutrogena, nothing, MURAD, antibiotics, BP, SA, blah blah blah. To be fair the antibiotics cleared me up quite nicely, leaving me with nothing but markings, but those have run out now so we're back to my forrest of despair that is my skin.

My brother suffered from acne from the age of 12 till 17, at which point he went on accutane and cleared quite nicely (*stabs in sleep*). I might be able to go on it, but i really don't want to for all the side effects etc. and also i want to be abnle to clear this up on my own and no result to some mega drug.

Anywho, so yeh, thats me at this point in time, rather frustrated and sad when i look around and see almost my whole year with flawless skin..im not exxagerating here, i thought that all teens were supposed to get acne during puberty, but there are maybe 2 other people with severe acne maybe a couple with the occasional spot, and the rest just loverly, completely, mind blowingly clear ! And it's not like i stuff my face with chocolate and soft drinks and crap, i eat sensibly, i dont eat chocolate anymore, i only drink water (massive amounts per day, makes me pee like a racehorse) and, nowadays, i don't masturbate that much (which i know for a fact others in my year do it a LOT more). And yet, I'm cursed with this skin while they all go out and drink and smoke and stuff their faces..but not to be negative ! Im been stuck with this and im going to fix it, I know i am, im just looking forward to a time when i can go outside and be proud of who I am..im not looking for perfect skin, i wouldnt mind the occasional spot as a sign of maturity or whatever, but i would like an ounce of control over what, in modern society, is a major part of how people perceive you.

Anyway, a bit too much rambling, but onto the actual (hopefully) solution !

After lurking for around a month and reading countless logs and looking at countless galleries, iv decided to give Dans Regimen a go, seems like I have nothing to lose.

So the cleanser I'm using atm is a tea tree oil facial wash, it's not harsh at all, it doesnt sting or burn and anything, you wouldnt even know its on. But I might try and find a cleanser without anything like, SA, tree tree etc, in it, we'll see.

I dont really have access to any other BP product apart from Oxy on the Spot which is a 2.5% BP cream, which i think will do quite nicely.

And I have a few moisturisers available, I have an Oxy Moisturiser, I have a Tea Tree moisturiser, and i have just one with "willowbark and burdock root" or some such, again I could buy another moisturiser but id rather stick with one of the ones iv got.

The wash part of the AM has to be in the shower, i dont have any other time, hope thas ok, iv been trying recently to not make the water so hot (even though it feels sooo good)

So the regimen is going to be

AM:

(shower) Damp face with warm water, wash with tea tree facial wash, wash the wash off. (how maybe time do you get to say wash 3 times like that !)

get out of the shower, dry, blah di blah, that'l take around 10 mins.

Apply 2.5%BP to all over face (maybe not forehead as i never get anything there)

Wait 5-10 mins

Apply moisturiser to all over face.

And I go about my (school) day, dumdidum, fralalalala. And we're back in the house, h/w, study, watch my favourite programmes and check up on acne.org !! and finally it's bed time (around 10-11pm.)

This is at the sink :

Damp face with warm water, wash with trea tree facial wash, wash wash off.

Wait ten mins.

Apply 2.5%BP.

Wait 10 mins.

Apply Moisturiser.

And I go to sleep, and on the weekdays I get 8-9 hours sleep per day, weekends I get around 10-11 (I love sleeeeeep !!! )

Also, I take a perfectil tablet once per day, which is essentially a multivitamin, and i take a cod liver oil once a day too.

Cant really think of anything else to say atm, so yeh, start of regimen : Monday 4th May 2009, I'l put some before pics in and I'l try to update once a week with pics, probabnly more often with insane ramblings, with me luck !

The pic on the left is the left cheek, the pic on the right is the right cheek.

post-100720-1241454276_thumb.jpg

post-100720-1241454294_thumb.jpg

post-100720-1241454276_thumb.jpg

post-100720-1241454294_thumb.jpg

Day 3 of the regimen, nothing much has changed yet, maybe even a bit worse, but that's to be expected ! I'm not suffering from any dry skin particularly, or peeling, the moisturiser is ok with dealing with that...the tingling and ticklishness that i get sometimes on my face is annoying, but i don't scratch, I just wait for it to go away :P

Something interesting happened today, one of those moments where you want to laugh and cry at the same time :D There was this boy in the year below me and a bit of his eyebrow was dyed orange or something, so someone in his year asked him what happened, and he replied that he was trying out a spot cream. Well needless to say his skin was pretty much flawless, but it was interesting to see how someone with clear skin has no troubles talking about issues such as spots, however someone with acne always shies away from such topics..I thought it was interesting anyway, other than that the day was normal..exams coming up but I'm not too stressed, for some reason 've been going around school under the impression that my acne was the worse it's ever been, I don't know if that's the case, but I havenm't been as outgoing as I usually am, oh well, I'll update in a few days again, ciao ;)

Oh yeh, I think I've decided to ditch the Tea tree oil fashial wash and moisturiser upon recommendation that mixing that and BP might be a bit too irritating and might contribute to acne, so I'm now just using a pretty tame cleanser that hasn't got anything fancy in it, which I think is part of the point of the regimen, I'l be on the lookout in Boots for another plain, gentle cleanser.

Day 5 of the regimen and it's going pretty well :)

I think I'm going to need to make sure the BP/moisturiser is fully absorbed, cause some people today asked what the white stuff on the side of my face was :P ..awkward.. :D

A bit embarassing also, I went to to opticians to pick up my new contacts, and he asked me to put them on to check something. Being only the second time I'd put them on, this involved a lot of tears which streamed down my face, and when i wiped the tears off, it was all white and messy, blah :P luckily he didnt say anything, and i dont usualy have the opportunity to cry, so it should be ok :D The itchiness and tingling is pretty annoying, but I can deal :P

I'm also starting to take some supplements like zinc, upon perusing the holistic boards, so hopefully that'l do some good..exams are starting soon but I'l keep updating, if not for anyone else, for my own sense of accomplishment/sadness :P

ciao ;)

Day 8 on the regimen and it seems to be going ok so far :) Got some pics update for my first week and I'l post some more next week and I'l do some more random talking in between then aswell :)

Left pic is the left side, Right pic is the right side.

post-100720-1242068142_thumb.jpg

post-100720-1242068417_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you! It'll take some time, but I'm sure you'll see some great improvements. I'm glad you dumped the tea tree oil wash, I think a plain non-medicated one will do better for you :)

If you can, I'd strongly encourage getting Dan's BP as it is so much smoother and cheaper than stuff like Neutrogena on the spot (or whatever Oxy you're using). Bonus is, it doesn't turn white if you get wet from tears or whatever...

Keep plugging away and I hope you see some serious progress! It took me a couple months to notice a huge difference, but now things are awesome.

hehe, thanks halon :):)

I've got a very mild face wash now that some people on the UK regimen boards have reccomended, it;s the Simple Facial Wash, and it's got no medicinal ingredients and no harsh chemicals, which is pretty good, just used for prepping for the BP as Dan says.

Day 10 on le regimen now, and pretty much the same. Still have a sizable amount of pimples and redness, but I'm going to keep on going ;);) My forehead, nose, and top bit of the cheeks are looking good..basically the top half of my face is pretty much clear, the bottom half is a warzone..but this is one conflict I'm sure I'll be able to triumph in with the help of Dans regimen :P

And to halon, unfortunately it's just not possible for me to order dans supplies, so I've got to make do with what I've got..the Oxy 2.5% BP is not too bad, yeh it takes a while to absorb and has the thing where it can show up white, but it's the only thing available and it's not too bad :D:D

woke up today and everything was as usual, no real clearances or progress and the same tonight, so that's day 12 on the regimen and everything is pretty much the same, but i shall keep going ! :) had an english exam today, but it was ok i guess, not got another exam for a week, so thats pretty good, so yeh, that's it for day twelve :P

Day 15 of the regimen now and things are going ok i think :P My sister tells me that she's seeing an improvement, but that could just be all talk :P Myself, I'm seeing a reduction in actual spots, and now it's more just the redness left behind, which will hopefully fade in not too much time. The left side of my face is clearing up very nicely, and from what i can see, its looking really good. The right side, the worse side, is still pretty bad but il soldier on :P I'l post updated pics tonight or tomorrow, exams still going on, but things are going ok ! :) anywho, ciao ;);)

Sorry about being so late, just totally forgot to be perfectly honest ! :P Anyway, for a little bit of an update it's day 18 on the regimen and, yesterday I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of my face, I thought wow, this is very nice progress, today however, not so nice..but i guess thats how it goes..umm for a general update I'm noticing a definate smoothing of the skin, and not so many active/inflames pimples, but the redness is still there for sure as you can see. The left side (the better side) is having some good progress, just waiting for the right side to catch up :P Anywho, I hope that some of this redness that you'l be seeing in the pics will have clamed down by tomorrow and I'm hoping that in next weeks pics you'll see some improvement :)

Just to say that I'm taking all of these in roughly the same light conditions, as i think thats very important in these logs..i can make the light so that it looks like i barely have any acne at all, but that doesnt really give a very good indication of progress now does it ! :)

So again, the picture on the left is the left side, and the picture on the right is the right side (of the face).

Looking at the pics, I'm thinking that week 3 looks about the same, maybe a bit worse than week 1. And week 2 looks the best, so maybe I'm going through the week 3 purging process that I've heard some people talking about, hopefully it ends soon though and I can continue on the road to being clear :):)

post-100720-1242934657_thumb.jpg

post-100720-1242934685_thumb.jpg

Day 21 on the regimen now and things are going interestingly, the number of spots is being reduced..I think..but there's a lot of redness around that area, we'll see if that goes down soon, but i shall persist..new pics upcoming soonsies, mwah, ciao

Rightio, day 23 on the regimen now and I'm getting a little concerned about the lack of progress, I seem to be peeling a lot, which is a good sign (I think ), but I'm still getting some large pulsing whiteheads recurring on my cheeks, and i even got one on my forehead and one on my nose, which i havn't for a good few months..umm, i am noticing a reduction in pimples though I guess, but the redness and marks are still there..bum :P Just waiting for some real progress I guess, but oh well, I'll continue..

I did read that some of the BP products might have some waxy ingredients that clog pores ? I don't know if my Oxy 2.5% has that, but that's got me a bit concerned.

Also, a lot of the people in my year who used to have severe acne, have almost completely cleared up, mostly using accutane, so now I'm almost the only one left..which is a bit depressing..I mean Im happy for them, but at the same time I'm a bit upset that no-one else is in my boat anymore..

So I think I've decided that, if this regimen doesnt show some results within another month, so 4 weeks, I'm going to try to get on accutane, it's worked miracles for so many people I know, and at this point I'm just sick and tired of this condition, and it's starting to affect me emotionally :(

Rightio, day 23 on the regimen now and I'm getting a little concerned about the lack of progress, I seem to be peeling a lot, which is a good sign (I think ), but I'm still getting some large pulsing whiteheads recurring on my cheeks, and i even got one on my forehead and one on my nose, which i havn't for a good few months..umm, i am noticing a reduction in pimples though I guess, but the redness and marks are still there..bum :P Just waiting for some real progress I guess, but oh well, I'll continue..

I did read that some of the BP products might have some waxy ingredients that clog pores ? I don't know if my Oxy 2.5% has that, but that's got me a bit concerned.

Also, a lot of the people in my year who used to have severe acne, have almost completely cleared up, mostly using accutane, so now I'm almost the only one left..which is a bit depressing..I mean Im happy for them, but at the same time I'm a bit upset that no-one else is in my boat anymore..

So I think I've decided that, if this regimen doesnt show some results within another month, so 4 weeks, I'm going to try to get on accutane, it's worked miracles for so many people I know, and at this point I'm just sick and tired of this condition, and it's starting to affect me emotionally :(

Accutane should be a last resort treatment for people. It may be an amazing drug but it still isn't a cure. Many of its users find themselves needing a 2nd and 3rd cycle after their acne comes back. Also, 23 days shouldn't be looked at as an indicator as to how well it's making an impact on your skin. The worse your acne is when you start, more than likely, the longer it's going to take to get where you want. It took about 2-3 months to see real progress in my case and about 4-5 months to become almost completely clear. Review the regimen steps and make sure you aren't making small mistakes like irritating your skin when cleansing or applying the BP. If you like, there are minimal steps you can take to make sure you are reducing the risk of how much you are irritating your skin everyday. Some examples: changing your laundry detergent to something with no fragrance and dyes, replacing your pillow case every couple of days and trying not to touch your face as much as possible. Keep at it and you'll get where you want to be with your results.

Yeh, Iknow 23 days isn't very long, was just getting frustrated I guess, but I'm going to continue for sure :) I don't think I'm irritating my skin very much on the application, I try to be as gentle as possible ..but i might not be beiing gentle enough..even so, I've been rough with my skin in the past and it didnt seemt o make much of a difference, I don't have very sensitive skin that some people complain of. About the pillow thing, I do change it as much as ppossible, however I don't think it's that big of a deal as I've always slept completely up right and my face never touches the pillow at all, i make sure of that. Also, I have like this OCD thing, so I never ever touch my face during the day unpart from when im washing it, and i dont let anyone else touch my face either, so that's not an issue. But yey, was just a bit disillusioned, but fear not, I shall continue :)

Hey :) So today is Day 26 on the regimen and some interesting progress. I'm noticing a real reduction in pimples on the right side of my face, with most of that side very very smooth and not very many active spots. So the redness that you see on that side mostly aren't actual spots. On the left side however I'm still battling quite a few. yesterday, when i looked in the mirror, I felt really good about everything, was looking really good, today it's not looking as good but I'm not going to get depressed about it, just gonna keep going. Umm, it's actually quite hot today, so that might account for some of the redness on my face, but I'm just really awaiting some of this redness to go away...anywho, pic of the left is the left side, pic on the right is the right side for day 26, round about week 4 :):)

Was getting a bit frustrated that some of the progress I'm seeing in the mirror at night isn't translating in these pictures and when I'm out and about, but I guess that will come in time.

hmm, for some reason I'm not being able to upload the second pic, of the right side, il see what i can do

Looking over the pics and the progress, I see that week 2 was when it looked the best. It wasnt so red, there were spots but not so many, and that general skin tone was much much better, I hope that soon I will go back to that.

post-100720-1243620249_thumb.jpg

Don't be frustrated. I'm sure the regimen will work out for you. It takes time. I'm a year into the regimen and I still break out. Mistake on my part for stopping the regimen. :(

It takes 2 or 3 months for the skin to get use to the regimen, I'm sure your skin will look even better in another month or so! Keep it going. :D