Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r0ckst4r

retin-A issues.

so i'm feeling a little stuck...

my doctor put me on retin-a trentinoin cream about a month ago, and at first it was making me really dry and peely, the works. so i eased into it, using it more like every other night.

now i've moved to a REALLY dry climate, and if i use the stuff at all, it makes my skin so flaky and peely that i don't even want to show my face! but if i DON'T use it, i still get the same amount of breakouts as ever before.

what do i do? i can't see my doctor again for at least another two months, seeing as how i live in a different state for school now. WITH the cream, i'm extremely dry and peely. without it, i'm bumpy and red.

should i try using it again anyway? every other day or something? should i try moisturizing my face after i put it on? (even though it doesnt soak in for the entire day) i even tried going without makeup for a few days, and my skin got bumpier and OILIER than ever!

my skin is being so ridiculous and unpredictable, and my boyfriend is moving up here in a WEEK!! why why WHY is this happening to me...

please help. :[

I think you should try moisturising. Make sure you are using a small amount of the retin a and apply moisturiser about 15-20 minutes after applying the retin a. Emu oil is also good for controlling dry skin.

Hey I feel your pain! I have been on tretinoin cream for the past 2 months and it was a nightmare at the beginning. I could only use it every 2 nights for the first 4 weeks. And then worked my way up. My derm told me to use a moisturizer at night 20 minutes after applying the cream. It really did help ALOT! You should look into Cerave moisturizing lotion. It is a gel like lotion and is super light. It also didn't break me out which is a huge plus. It really works wonders. Now that I am using the tretinoin every night I don't suffer from gross embarrassing sheets of flesh peeling off my face anymore haha. Bottom line... You have to use a moisturizer with it.

ok ive been on retin a for about a year now and ive had ALOT of problems also with dry skin/flakiness and still do. you should just try to stick to it though, the way i saw it was that i'd rather have dry skin than acne.

like the person above me said, definitely use a good moisturizer. also because your skin gets dried out, try not to wash your face too much, like 2 times a day at the most.

also theres a topic about how you can use a toothbrush while cleansing your face to help scrub off dry skin and i found that works really good too, it leaves my skin really smooth.

im guessing you wear foundation? when i put mine on, i have to get rid of the flaky skin first so i used to use tape to peel it off but now i use the toothbrush method (i can find a link to it if you want). i also moisturize before i put foundation on and after i actually finish putting the foundation on, i usually have to get a bit more moisturizer and lightly pat it over any spots that still look dry. it usually works pretty good.

thanks, girls.

so at the moment i'm basically putting on moisturizer whenever my face feels like it's on fire, and putting on retin-a on the days that it DOESN'T feel like its on fire. lol.

updates a'commin.

maybe pictures too, if you ask real nice like...

<3

im also on retin A gel and suffer from dry skin! i have been on it a month and only use it every 3 nights. i started off using it once every 4 nights and have just upped it.

my skin still gets flakey. i use jojoba oil which does help and also manuka honey! weird i know but its moisturisng and kills bacteria on my skin! does 2 jobs in 1!

im interested in the toothbrush method as i exfloiate like twice a day which im sure isnt good for my skin! so i wud be interested in what typr of toothbrush you use and how often!

thanks!

i had to work up to using the retin-a every day.. sometimes i'll still skip a day if my skin looks too dry or flaky or is just plain out sensitive.

in addition to only using it every couple of days, maybe you can call your derm? there are several versions of retin-a out there. if you're on a higher dose, he/she should be able to call in a lower dosage tube to a pharmacy in your new location. also, if he/she is willing to do so, maybe you could switch to a prescription that does the same thing as retin-a but more mildly.. apparently ziana has a retin-a compound in it plus clindamycin for antibacterial properties.

good luck!

so at the moment i'm basically putting on moisturizer whenever my face feels like it's on fire, and putting on retin-a on the days that it DOESN'T feel like its on fire. lol.

<3

Definitely a good idea not to apply when your face feels like its gonna fall off!!

im also on retin A gel and suffer from dry skin! i have been on it a month and only use it every 3 nights. i started off using it once every 4 nights and have just upped it.

my skin still gets flakey. i use jojoba oil which does help and also manuka honey! weird i know but its moisturisng and kills bacteria on my skin! does 2 jobs in 1!

im interested in the toothbrush method as i exfloiate like twice a day which im sure isnt good for my skin! so i wud be interested in what typr of toothbrush you use and how often!

thanks!

Hey Kimmi! I use this awesome brush from Dermalogica. It works wonders and is very inexpensive...here's the link

http://dermalogica.com/us/products.html#/p...ting-face-brush

Hey you can also just use a normal toothbrush if it has softer bristles or an electric toothbrush, here's the thread if u want more info

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/TOOTH-BRU...OT-t211818.html

I dont even do it that often, maybe like 2-3 times a week and I've noticed a big difference.. before my skin was very flaky, like I could rub it off but now it just gets a little bit dry and a bit of moisturizer works, I guess the toothbrush really helps with taking off the dead skin. I also noticed it gives me better results than when I exfoliate with one of those exfoliating gloves, im not sure why though.

I am in agreement with the moisturizer! I actually wash my face, wait 20-30 minutes, put on moisturizer, and then put the retin-a right on top of that. and i apply moisturizer (I use the Cetaphil stuff, which is really good) in the morning after I shower/wash my face.

I also only apply it every other day, because my skin is really sensitive. BUT, I have noticed that if I am consistent about the moisturizing, and using only a gentle cleanser, I am in good shape.

Still think after 10 weeks that my face isn't ready to go more than every other day, but since that is working fine I will stick with it :)

Stay strong- I was VERY skeptical, but it was like all of a sudden in the 8-9 week I woke up one day and my skin was completely different.