Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnsungAcneHero

Quitting the regimen

After being on the regimen for 3 years, I'm now quitting. The first year, my skin seemed greatly improved but afterward it's been downhill. My skin still breaks out and now I have scarring on both of my cheeks (which never happened pre-regimen). I'm tired of flakes and having such red skin plus zits.

I know this Regimen works for many, but unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I need to go find something new to try.

Thanks to Brandy for always assisting me whenever I had a question or problem.

Thanks. In all honesty, I havent had the guts to quit because I'm scared that I will look worse.

If I could find a way to reduce the scarring and get the flakes under control so I can at least wear makeup, I might be fine

Thanks for the mention! Glad to have helped. :)

Did you ever try adding in Dan's AHA+ lotion? It can help with the flaking and the overall appearance of your skin.

After being on the regimen for 3 years, I'm now quitting. The first year, my skin seemed greatly improved but afterward it's been downhill. My skin still breaks out and now I have scarring on both of my cheeks (which never happened pre-regimen). I'm tired of flakes and having such red skin plus zits.

I know this Regimen works for many, but unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I need to go find something new to try.

I feel like I could have written this post. I've been doing the regimen for almost 4 years now and while initially my face improved it hasn't ever really gotten to the point that it is looking great. I've also tried adding Jojoba Oil and AHA+ to the regimen but that doesn't really seem to help much because my face is already oily. At one point I quit cold turkey and got the worst flare up of the my life (even worse than anything I had pre-regimen and the regimen wouldn't get it back under control at all) and ended up having to go to several dermatologists and had to take antibiotics until I got it back under control. Thanks to that little quitting cold-turkey incident I now have lasting scars.

Anyways, what I've begun to do now is to begin slowly weaning off of the regimen. About a month and a half ago or so I decided to knock down the frequency of application of the regimen to once per day instead of twice while still washing with Dan's cleanser twice per day. While initially I got a few more pimples than usual it normalized and my skin looks no worse than when I was doing it twice per day. I am going to give it another month and then I'm going to try knocking it down again to one application every other day. I really think the key to getting off the regimen is to slowly ramp down - however, it is important to note that this is different for everyone. I say you should give it a shot so you don't have to be slave to this for much longer. I know I'm sick of it.

Thanks for the mention! Glad to have helped. :)

Did you ever try adding in Dan's AHA+ lotion? It can help with the flaking and the overall appearance of your skin.

I have been using Dan's AHA+ at night, but in the morning, I still have dry flaky skin. I don't know if my skin is so dry because I live in a dry climate, but I just know that the dryness is so bad I cannot wear makeup or even certain sunscreens because the flakes show up all over.

I feel like I could have written this post. I've been doing the regimen for almost 4 years now and while initially my face improved it hasn't ever really gotten to the point that it is looking great. I've also tried adding Jojoba Oil and AHA+ to the regimen but that doesn't really seem to help much because my face is already oily. At one point I quit cold turkey and got the worst flare up of the my life (even worse than anything I had pre-regimen and the regimen wouldn't get it back under control at all) and ended up having to go to several dermatologists and had to take antibiotics until I got it back under control. Thanks to that little quitting cold-turkey incident I now have lasting scars.

Anyways, what I've begun to do now is to begin slowly weaning off of the regimen. About a month and a half ago or so I decided to knock down the frequency of application of the regimen to once per day instead of twice while still washing with Dan's cleanser twice per day. While initially I got a few more pimples than usual it normalized and my skin looks no worse than when I was doing it twice per day. I am going to give it another month and then I'm going to try knocking it down again to one application every other day. I really think the key to getting off the regimen is to slowly ramp down - however, it is important to note that this is different for everyone. I say you should give it a shot so you don't have to be slave to this for much longer. I know I'm sick of it.

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry to hear that you had bad scarring from quitting the regimen. I'm also quitting cold turkey in preparation of trying the lemon juice regimen. As soon as my skin seems hydrated enough, I'm going to start the new regimen. I hope I don't have the same experience that you did :pray:

i honestly felt that the regimen dried out my skin like overkill. Even still with the vast areas of pure desert mixed with flaking that rivaled a nuclear winter. Perhaps a cleanser with Glycolic Acid, and acne treatment that contains sulfur and salicyclic acid.

i honestly felt that the regimen dried out my skin like overkill. Even still with the vast areas of pure desert mixed with flaking that rivaled a nuclear winter. Perhaps a cleanser with Glycolic Acid, and acne treatment that contains sulfur and salicyclic acid.

Hi, I appreciate your offer to help. Actually, I'm going to try the lemon juice regimen for the next month and see what pans out with it.

I'll keep your offer in mind should I decide to go a different route afterward.

If BP works for you, please stick to it! I stopped BP for 6 months now in search of something else (washing with only water and all sorts of natural things and diet changes) and I am worse off, far worse off! Wish I stayed with the BP regimen! Yes it dried my skin out but at least I my skin was basically clear! Lemon juice doesn't help, I tried that. It really doesn't help! I mean why would it? I know the ultimate answer for acne lies in diet but I can't figure it out..for now.. So in the meanwhile I'm going to return to BP. The pro's outweighs the con's by faaar!

I wish you well! :)

If BP works for you, please stick to it! I stopped BP for 6 months now in search of something else (washing with only water and all sorts of natural things and diet changes) and I am worse off, far worse off! Wish I stayed with the BP regimen! Yes it dried my skin out but at least I my skin was basically clear! Lemon juice doesn't help, I tried that. It really doesn't help! I mean why would it? I know the ultimate answer for acne lies in diet but I can't figure it out..for now.. So in the meanwhile I'm going to return to BP. The pro's outweighs the con's by faaar!

I wish you well! :)

The problem is, BP started not working anymore for me. I was getting breakouts that were now leaving dark scars on my cheeks that are slightly indented. The last almost two years my skin was not without at least a few zits and the dryness was becoming a serious problem (my shirt looked like I had dandruff and my face was weathered looking because of dryness). I used:

Cetaphil Face Wash (which I later replaced with Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash)

Dan's BP

Cetaphil Moisturizer

I have incorporated AHA from Acne.org as well as Jojoba but even with those, my dryness, flakiness, breakouts and scarring still resumed.

Thanks for the concern and well off wishes. I appreciate it and wish you luck in your search for an answer to your acne as well. :)