Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Handsome

Stopping the Regimen - Results

I have been a regimen user of almost 4 years. It has been great to me. I am greatfull for Dan and this website for helping me control my acne at its worst point and keeping me clear for a long time.

I reached a point where I started to ask myself if I was ever going to be able to stop using the regimen. I was pretty much petrified to stop using it as I always feared my acne would come back with a vengeance. A couple of months ago, I said what the hell, let me try it out and in the worst case scenario, I'll just get right back on the regimen if things start to go bad.

I decided I wanted to stop the regimen for a couple of reasons. #1, I just got tired of doing it every night. I know it's not that time consuming, but when I came home late, the last thing I wanted to do was spend 20 minutes preparing my face before going to bed. #2, I figured I could cut some expense by stopping. The regimen isn't all that terribly expensive, but it was still costing me around 15$ a month, maybe more, I don't remember now. But it was just one less cost that I had to worry about. #3, I just wanted to stop slathering chemical on my skin every day of my life.

Results:

Its been over 2 months now and I am just as clear as I was while on the regimen. I did break out after a couple of weeks of not using the regimen. The break out wasn't that severe and it was actually kind of weird. I broke out in places where I never broke out before. That may have been a result of exercise, I'm not sure. Nonetheless, after a couple of weeks, the breakout subsided and cleared up. Since then, I have been clear and my skin in general feels much better.

Notes:

I'm sure it varies for everyone. I am 21 approaching 22 years old now. I had acne when I was about 16-17. I could just be "growing" out of it. My father grew out of acne when he was 21/22 and my mother never had acne. So perhaps there is a genetic component to these results.

Bottom Line:

I'm not saying to ditch the regimen. I'd actually recommend staying with the regimen until you do get clear and reach an age where you feel that maybe you can go without it. Since I started being able to grow a beard, I noticed that I stopped getting pimples around the beard area. Like I said, maybe this is just related to growing up, I'm not sure.

I can only hope that I continue to see these great results. :pray:

Really happy for you. :]

After you stopped using the regimen, how did you go about keeping your skin clear? Did you just use the Cleanser and nothing else?

-----I was using Dan's Regimen.

-----I decided to use OXY Face wash which does contain 5% BP concentration, but it is just a wash. Nothing to leave on etc. That's been keeping me clear.

omg Mr. Handsome I'm the exact opposite of you. I never had acne in my whole life until I reached 22 yrs old and my facial hair (beard area) was growing in. I'm turning 24 this year, when the hell will I grow out of mine lol? By the way, have you tried NOT using any face wash with acne medication (e.g., salicylic acid, BP, etc)? Or better yet have you tried just using water to rinse your face? How were the results? Thanks.

omg Mr. Handsome I'm the exact opposite of you. I never had acne in my whole life until I reached 22 yrs old and my facial hair (beard area) was growing in. I'm turning 24 this year, when the hell will I grow out of mine lol? By the way, have you tried NOT using any face wash with acne medication (e.g., salicylic acid, BP, etc)? Or better yet have you tried just using water to rinse your face? How were the results? Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear about that (22 years old and getting acne after not having it ever). Hopefully you'll grow out soon? :)

I've decided to use a medicated face wash for now. I am going to keep on monitoring the results for a while more and then I may just switch to soap and water. And then who knows, maybe eventually water.