Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you have persistent acne, especially if you're an adult, and especially if you have a bunch of other health problems along with it, consider that you might have mercury or other heavy metal toxicity.

If you have mercury fillings, if you've had lots of vaccines or allergy shots, if you've broken a mercury thermometer, even if your mother had mercury fillings, or had any put in, when she was pregnant with you... there's a pretty good chance you have mercury toxicity.

I've had acne and various other health problems for years. In the past few years I have developed tons of new food allergies and sensitivities... digestive problems... hormonal issues. I thought about the mercury issue on and off but I mostly just brushed it off. Eventually I decided to get my mercury fillings out. Actually, I thought I only had one, but it turns out I had four. I also realized that I'd been exposed to a lot of mercury over the years through allergy shots.

I've now discovered that this is the reason for most if not all of my health problems. Mercury can cause food allergies/sensitivities, both directly and indirectly. It inhibits the enzymes we need to digest gluten and casein (dairy protein). It may cause candida and leaky gut, which of course cause food sensitivities. It is extremely disruptive to the endocrine system, particularly the adrenal glands and thyroid, and poor adrenal function causes food allergies. And of course, the endocrine system regulates hormones, so mercury can cause all kinds of hormonal imbalances. It's also been linked directly to insulin resistance.

After I got my fillings out, I saw some improvements... My skin cleared up, my menstrual cycle got shorter (it had been on the longer side), my digestion improved. Unfortunately, after a few months, things got worse. I developed IBS, my cycle started getting longer again, my skin got worse. At the time, I had no idea what was going on, but when I started looking into mercury chelation (specifically Andrew Cutler's chelation protocol), I realized what had happened. (Dr. Cutler explains this in his book, Amalgam Illness). When your body stops being constantly exposed to mercury (ie. when you get your mercury fillings out), your blood levels of mercury go way down and things improve. When your blood levels eventually get very low, your organs start dumping mercury that they've accumulated over the years into your bloodstream. This causes a lot of problems, especially if you're not chelating at this time (which I wasn't).

So getting rid of mercury is not easy. You can't just remove the source of exposure. You have to take chelating agents, and the safest and most effective ones are DMSA or DMPS, and ALA, in LOW FREQUENT ORAL DOSES. There are tons of other things/methods that people use to try to get rid of mercury, but many of them make mercury toxic people MORE sick because they mostly just move mercury around your body rather than taking it out. Anyway, I won't go into tons of detail about this, but if you want to do mercury chelation, look into Dr. Cutler's protocol. It's the safest way to do it, and it works. Tons of people have gotten better by it (including Dr. Cutler himself).

Still, even with the safest protocol, mercury chelation is tough. I have only managed to do two rounds of it (and will need many, many, many more). This is because after my second round, my adrenals basically crashed and I experienced tons of symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. Mercury causes adrenal problems in the first place, but trying to get the mercury out will exacerbate the issue. So you need to be on tons of adrenal support during chelation (I wasn't taking much for my adrenals at the time). A lot of people actually go on oral hydrocortisone to get through chelation (most mercury toxic people have LOW cortisol, not high -- I have confirmed that I have low cortisol with a saliva test). Others just take lots of adrenal cortex extract, licorice root, certain vitamin supplements, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there because I wish I had known about all this years ago. I am not even close to being better right now -- in fact I am worse off than before I had my fillings removed -- but I know 100% for sure that I am on the right track and in the end I will be much better off. I've never been completely healthy in my entire life -- I was born with a milk allergy and terrible sleeping habits. No surprise since my mom had mercury fillings put in when she was pregnant with me. So I'm looking forward to actually being healthy for the first time ever.

Chelation can take a long time -- basically a minimum of a year, and up to several years. But if you have a bunch of health problems that are really interfering with your life, you might find that it's worth it.

If you want to test to see if you have mercury toxicity, the best way is a hair mineral analysis. This explains it: http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Edited by kaleidoscope

Interesting information. I've always wondered whether or not mercury was/is affecting me as I've got adrenal issues and am working through IBS successfully with the Specific Carbohydrate diet. How old were you when your fillings were put in? Am I mistaken in believing that we no longer use mercury in fillings?

I've also had allergy shots in the past for yellow jackets and used to be an avid believer in flu shots :doh: . I'll have to discuss the issue with my holistic hcp; thanks for the inspiration :P .

I was around 9 when I had three of my fillings put in, and 15 for the last one. I was a teen when I had allergy shots (about 12 shots a year for 2 or 3 years).

I know that fewer dentists are using mercury fillings, but I believe some dentists still do.

With IBS and adrenal issues, you should definitely look into mercury toxicity.

I did some research on this on the net as I work with alot of mercury in my line of work.

There are some interesting articles, that if mercury were to leech out of the tooth, it can make people very ill.

One poor girl suffered for years and no-one believed her, till she found out it was mercury fillings.

:)

serious stuff! I hate the stuff... its awful lol.

I did some research on this on the net as I work with alot of mercury in my line of work.

There are some interesting articles, that if mercury were to leech out of the tooth, it can make people very ill.

One poor girl suffered for years and no-one believed her, till she found out it was mercury fillings.

:)

serious stuff! I hate the stuff... its awful lol.

Sucks that you have to work with it. :(

Mercury vapor IS released from the fillings. Even the FDA admits that! http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/amalgams.html

This is from the Canadian government website...

Mercury is released from amalgam in several ways. Mercury vapour is continuously evolved from the filling surface and this release is stimulated by chewing, tooth brushing or bruxism (grinding the teeth). The process continues as long as the filling is in the tooth. The vapour can be inhaled or dissolved in saliva and swallowed. Mercury particles are also released from the filling surface through wear or corrosion and are swallowed. A third route of exposure is through mercury particles embedded in the gums or other soft tissue of the mouth during the removal of old fillings. The most significant route of exposure is believed to be inhalation of vapour.

A fraction of the inhaled mercury vapour is absorbed by the lungs and retained by the body. The mercury accumulates in all body organs and tissues, but principally in the kidney, with lower amounts in the brain, lung, liver, gastrointestinal tract and exocrine glands. Elemental mercury in the blood can cross the placenta and the blood-brain barrier.

A number of clinical studies have shown that the levels of mercury in body fluids and organs correlate with the number of occlusal amalgam surfaces in the mouth and the total number of amalgam surfaces. Furthermore, mercury levels in blood and urine have been shown to decrease after the amalgam fillings have been removed.

However, it must be emphasized that blood and urine mercury levels attributable to amalgam do not approach the level recognized as the onset of clinical mercurialism (mercury poisoning): that level is taken to be 100 µg of mercury per gram of creatinine in urine.

Therefore, it is our conclusion that although amalgam contributes detectable amounts of mercury to the body, these levels do not approach those recognized to cause illness.

The last part is ridiculous though. They just said it accumulates in the organs and tissues, so of course it's harmful and can cause illness! Mercury clears from urine and blood fairly quickly, so urine/blood levels prove nothing.

Hi Leah,

Thanks for posting this info -- it's so important. Did the book you read go into any detail about IV chelation? My doctor has suggested that I try it but frankly I'm afraid to because I'm freaked out by the idea of mobilizing all that mercury in my body.

Out of curiosity did you get tested for mercury tox.? If so, what type of test was it? I've been discussing with my holistic HCP and the most economic way she offers is a hair test while the more expensive/effective option is stool sampling; any advice? I just don't want to cheap out and miss out or something :P .

Hi Leah,

Thanks for posting this info -- it's so important. Did the book you read go into any detail about IV chelation? My doctor has suggested that I try it but frankly I'm afraid to because I'm freaked out by the idea of mobilizing all that mercury in my body.

I don't remember off the top of my head if or how much Dr. Cutler talks about IVs in his book. A lot of his info is available online and I don't remember what I read where. But I can tell you that he is strongly against IV chelation because it uses large, infrequent doses of chelators. This causes of a lot of redistribution. A lot of people have gotten really sick from DMPS IVs especially. There's EDTA IVs as well... not sure if those are safer, but Dr. Cutler says EDTA isn't effective for mercury.

The key to his protocol is taking low doses of chelators, and taking them frequently (every 3, 4, or 8 hours depending on the chelator). The time-intervals are based on the half-life of the chelators (how long they last in the body), so you have a steady supply of the chelator going through your body, constantly taking the mercury out. You only take them for a few days at a time, though, because it's too stressful on your body to chelate constantly for a long period.

You don't need a doctor to chelate this way. You can get DMSA without a prescription (at least for now you can, that might be changing soon).

Out of curiosity did you get tested for mercury tox.? If so, what type of test was it? I've been discussing with my holistic HCP and the most economic way she offers is a hair test while the more expensive/effective option is stool sampling; any advice? I just don't want to cheap out and miss out or something :P .

I got a hair test. That's the only test that Dr. Cutler says is useful (and he wrote a book on how to interpret it -- you can find a lot of that info online). Actually, you have to get a test for toxic elements AND essential elements. You can't simply look at mercury level in the hair as an indication of how much mercury is in the body, but there are other indications from the levels of essential elements. I think the link I posted in my first post explains it. I wouldn't bother with the stool test.

Get a hair test through Doctor's Data Inc. That way it's easier to apply Dr. Cutler's "rules" for interpreting it.

Thanks for that info, Leah. I'm going to read up on all of this.

It's interesting because I've always had an intuitive aversion to the idea of IV chelation. It seems like such an AGGRESSIVE therapy, you know?

I do have at least 1 amalgam filling in my mouth... possibly more. I know I need to have these replaced.

I'm about to start iodine supplementation which is another piece of this whole endocrine/adrenal puzzle.. nervous about that detox, too.

Have you read up on phase 1 and 2 liver detox? If you're chelating all these metals you might want to make sure you're methylating properly, if you haven't looked into that yet. I know it's really important to support phase 2 detox while chelating, so that all the toxins that are being mobilized area actually being effectively eliminated from the body.

Thanks for that info, Leah. I'm going to read up on all of this.

It's interesting because I've always had an intuitive aversion to the idea of IV chelation. It seems like such an AGGRESSIVE therapy, you know?

I do have at least 1 amalgam filling in my mouth... possibly more. I know I need to have these replaced.

I'm about to start iodine supplementation which is another piece of this whole endocrine/adrenal puzzle.. nervous about that detox, too.

Isn't iodine mainly for the thyroid? If you have low adrenal AND thyroid function (many mercury toxic people have both), iodine supplementation could make your adrenal problems worse. You have to treat the adrenals first, then the thyroid. (I can't remember the explanation for this, but somehow treating thyroid first further fatigues the adrenals.) Although this would be much more of an issue if we were talking about taking actual thyroid hormones (Armour). But if you do take iodine, just watch for symptoms of adrenal fatigue and don't just assume it's detox.

Have you read up on phase 1 and 2 liver detox? If you're chelating all these metals you might want to make sure you're methylating properly, if you haven't looked into that yet. I know it's really important to support phase 2 detox while chelating, so that all the toxins that are being mobilized area actually being effectively eliminated from the body.

Hmm... This is definitely something I have to look into more. I know Dr. Cutler does talk about this. To be honest, his book is a little disorganized, and there's a ton of info in there and some of it is over my head. I haven't read it all.

It seems complicated because I think different people have problems with different detoxing pathways, and I think Dr. Cutler recommends getting a liver detoxification profile done to see where you need help. (More money!) I don't know, I'm going to go look into this... Thanks for bringing it up!

Oh, Murmur, I wanted to mention something else. If you're going to get your mercury fillings out, make sure you're prepared to start chelation shortly after. Like I said, things got worse for me a few months after I'd had my fillings out -- and this happens to quite a lot of people. Dr. Cutler says it tends to go smoother if you're chelating through this "dumping phase".

I got my fillings out thinking it could only help. I had no idea if mercury was causing any of my problems... I just thought, "I better get them out, just in case." But now I know you can't just take your fillings out and then do nothing, if you are significantly mercury poisoned. Taking them out basically starts the detoxing process... and you have to finish it... unless you want to get sick.

My thyroid bloodwork has always looked okay except my last test, which showed slightly low T3. I don't know if my adrenals are messed up? I know when I first went to my doctor he checked EVERYTHING and I don't recall there being any issues with my cortisol levels or anything like that.

I'm looking into the iodine because I want to address my thyroid AND cyclical breast pain AND I suspect I have an ovarian cyst.. And all of that stuff tends to go hand in hand with hypothyroidism/iodine deficiency.

I would love to hear more about the adrenal stuff... when you talk about specifically addressing the adrenals first, what do you mean exactly? I'm trying to do everything in the proper order!

Right now I'm planning to have the amalgams removed next summer (I'll have the summer off from grad school, so I'll hopefully have some down time AND some kind of decent insurance), and yes, I would start chelation at that time.

It's really a shame that all these tests cost SO MUCH MONEY. I would love to have a full panel done checking for nutrient/mineral deficiencies, etc. My doctor is awesome but even with his help I feel like there's STILL so much that needs to be looked at.

My thyroid bloodwork has always looked okay except my last test, which showed slightly low T3.

Yeah, free T3 should ideally be in the mid to high end of the range, so on the low end or under indicates some degree of hypothyroidism.

I don't know if my adrenals are messed up? I know when I first went to my doctor he checked EVERYTHING and I don't recall there being any issues with my cortisol levels or anything like that.

The best test to get for adrenals is a saliva cortisol test that you take 4 times over the course of a day. A single blood test is not usually enough. But you can generally tell by symptoms if you have adrenal issues...

"Common signs of adrenal weakness (hypoadrenal) include low BP and dizziness on standing (orthostatic/postural hypotenstion), unexplained and chronic fatigue, aches and pain, hypoglycemia, sugar and/or salt cravings, frequent infections and difficulty shaking infections, poor response to stress, crashing with stress, shaking with stressful events and carbohydrate intolerance."

The thing is, I never had any of these symptoms until I started chelation. After I did two rounds of chelation, I got almost all these symptoms plus more (they mostly went away after a few weeks though). But I do believe I have had adrenal problems for a long time because I have been developing more and more food allergies over the years, which is another symptom. My hair mineral test (which I had done before starting chelation) also strongly indicated adrenal problems (Dr. Cutler has a way of interpreting hair mineral levels to tell if there's adrenal/thyroid problems, etc.).

Anyway, my point is that you may not think you have an adrenal problem, but you might find out you do when you start doing chelation since it will exacerbate the issue. It would be good to be aware of this in advance so you can support your adrenals as much as possible before and during chelation. (This isn't absolutely necessary; it just helps chelation go smoother.)

One thing you can do for free to get a general idea of your adrenal (and thyroid) function is track your temperatures. Read this: http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-...ure-graph#intro

I would love to hear more about the adrenal stuff... when you talk about specifically addressing the adrenals first, what do you mean exactly? I'm trying to do everything in the proper order!

Just if you're going to take thyroid hormones, you have to support your adrenals first (if you have low adrenal function, which most mercury toxic people do).

There are lots of things you can do for the adrenals, and how much of it you need depends on how bad your situation is. If you have low cortisol, you may want to go on hydrocortisone -- but some people get by just with natural supplements and a good diet (the diet you're on is good for the adrenals!).

There's lots of info here on how to treat the adrenals:

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/healingnetw...ls_thyroid.html

It's really a shame that all these tests cost SO MUCH MONEY. I would love to have a full panel done checking for nutrient/mineral deficiencies, etc. My doctor is awesome but even with his help I feel like there's STILL so much that needs to be looked at.

I know, I have spent a fortune on trying to get better! But I don't think you need tons of tests. The most important thing is just getting the mercury out, because your body will never function normally until you do. So don't get too caught up in trying to get everything else perfect (hormone levels, etc.). Fortunately, DMSA and ALA are not very expensive. All the supplements that Dr. Cutler recommends can get a little pricy, but it's not too bad.

(I'm assuming you HAVE mercury toxicity... but given that you have at least one filling, AND you've had lots of hormonal issues, I personally think it's a fairly safe assumption.)

Hmm... This is definitely something I have to look into more. I know Dr. Cutler does talk about this. To be honest, his book is a little disorganized, and there's a ton of info in there and some of it is over my head. I haven't read it all.

It seems complicated because I think different people have problems with different detoxing pathways, and I think Dr. Cutler recommends getting a liver detoxification profile done to see where you need help. (More money!) I don't know, I'm going to go look into this... Thanks for bringing it up!

I found out from Dr. Cutler that you don't generally need to worry about this or have tests done, unless you have problems related to it like MCS (Muliple Chemical Sensitivity).

He does recommend milk thistle for everyone though.

"Common signs of adrenal weakness (hypoadrenal) include low BP and dizziness on standing (orthostatic/postural hypotenstion), unexplained and chronic fatigue, aches and pain, hypoglycemia, sugar and/or salt cravings, frequent infections and difficulty shaking infections, poor response to stress, crashing with stress, shaking with stressful events and carbohydrate intolerance."

WELL, I get head rushes when I stand up quickly, but I actually thought that was postural hypERtension? Or maybe they feel like the same thing? I used to get sick a lot, but NEVER anymore -- ever since giving up wheat/gluten.. I seriously haven't had a cold in like a year and a half, and I used to get one every 2-3 months.

I do crash with stress, and I shake when I get upset, and I am definitely carb-intolerant.

Very interesting.

I can't wait to hear how you progress with all of this!

It really sucks that we've been born into such a toxic lifestyle.

WELL, I get head rushes when I stand up quickly, but I actually thought that was postural hypERtension? Or maybe they feel like the same thing?

I think that could be hypotension: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension (it says "head rush" there)

I used to get sick a lot, but NEVER anymore -- ever since giving up wheat/gluten.. I seriously haven't had a cold in like a year and a half, and I used to get one every 2-3 months.

I never get sick either. I don't think I've been sick in like 5 years (since I started eating healthy)! Except, I got a sore throat after my 2nd round of chelation. So that definitely doesn't rule out adrenal problems.

I do crash with stress, and I shake when I get upset, and I am definitely carb-intolerant.

Definitely sounds like you could have poor adrenal function. :(

And I think I remember you mentioning you used to get shaky if you went for a long time without eating?? That is definitely hypoglycemia, and that's a major sign of hypoadrenalism/low cortisol.

I can't wait to hear how you progress with all of this!

Unfortunately, it might be awhile still before I can even do another round. I am strongly considering going on hydrocortisone first, so that my adrenals don't crash again. So I have to see a doctor before I do anything else, and I wasn't able to get an appt until June. But I will definitely let you know how it goes.

And I'm hoping I can start feeling better by taking HC, and maybe other hormones (I know I at least have low progesterone), before I completely get rid of the mercury (which will take a long time). I'm hoping HC will make me gain some weight (I am reeeally underweight) and get rid of some my food allergies.

It really sucks that we've been born into such a toxic lifestyle.

I know. :( But I am grateful at least to have found out what is causing all my problems, and how to fix it (even though it's going to take a long time). And if I ever have kids, I'm not going to let doctors and dentists put mercury into their bodies.

And I think I remember you mentioning you used to get shaky if you went for a long time without eating?? That is definitely hypoglycemia, and that's a major sign of hypoadrenalism/low cortisol.

Yes, I do tend toward hypoglycemia. This has improved a lot since I cut back on the grains/starches/sugars, but it used to be a HUGE problem for me.

Also, I used to be really underweight too! I was so skinny, it was awful. I hated it. The progesterone actually gave me my appetite back and helped me to gain some weight. I'm still quite small, probably more slender than I ought to be given how many calories I consume, but at least I enjoy eating again and I'm technically at a healthy weight.

I feel like my adrenals are probably still compromised, but must be WAY better than they used to be, given how much calmer and healthier I feel overall.

Have you considered isocort for your adrenals? It's something I want to look into.

OH, and I TOTALLY AGREE about the having children thing. I am going to be so cautious with the vaccines, dental work, etc, when I have kids.

Also, I used to be really underweight too! I was so skinny, it was awful. I hated it. The progesterone actually gave me my appetite back and helped me to gain some weight. I'm still quite small, probably more slender than I ought to be given how many calories I consume, but at least I enjoy eating again and I'm technically at a healthy weight.

That's good that progesterone helped with that! So maybe that would help me gain weight too. My situation is so complicated though. I have trouble eating fat (gives me digestive problems), so that's one big reason I can't gain weight. (My first round of chelation did significantly help me with this, though, so that's encouraging). My diet is also extremely limited because of my food allergies. The other thing is that I have insulin resistance, and I have to limit my calories AND exercise in order to keep it under control. That's how I became underweight in the first place (and then I lost some more weight when I stopped being able to eat fat, and more when my adrenals crashed)... So I don't know, hopefully the hormones will help me gain without actually having to eat more. HC at least should help me with this.

I feel like my adrenals are probably still compromised, but must be WAY better than they used to be, given how much calmer and healthier I feel overall.

Yes, diet can be a huge help for the adrenals.

Have you considered isocort for your adrenals? It's something I want to look into.

I can't get Isocort because I live in Canada and they won't let it cross the border (and we don't have it here). Isocort actually contains some cortisol, so personally I don't think you should take it unless you get a saliva test first that indicates low cortisol (and you can't take the saliva test if you're on anything like Isocort, adrenal cortex extract -- you have to go off them for 2 weeks). Also, if you're going to take anything with hormones, it would be best to be working with your doctor. In the meantime, you can safely take all the vitamin/mineral supplements and probably adrenal cortex extract (which only contains trace amounts of hormones, if any).

That's great, I have a mercury filling. T_T I can't get it taken out either, I don't have the money.

Is there anything you can do to help prevent the side effects of the mercury? :/

That's great, I have a mercury filling. T_T I can't get it taken out either, I don't have the money.

Is there anything you can do to help prevent the side effects of the mercury? :/

Hmm... Well, it's important to get lots of antioxidants because of the oxidative stress that mercury has on your body. So, maybe take vitamin C, and/or eat lots of fruits and veggies. Also try to get lots of essential fatty acids (especially omega 3s) because mercury apparently partially destroys these in the body. But I don't know of any way to prevent mercury from causing hormonal imbalances.

It may not be really affecting you though. One filling is not necessarily enough to do significant harm. I had four fillings, PLUS years of allergy shots (on top of the regular childhood vaccines), PLUS my mom had a filling put in when she was pregnant with me. Do you have any health problems besides acne?

One thing you should NOT do is try to take anything to detox mercury while you still have your filling. It would only make things worse.

ps: I like your signature (the Bible verse). :)

Just updating this in case anyone cares.

I've realized that chelation doesn't HAVE to be so hard on your adrenals and thyroid. Two things have helped me tolerate chelation much better:

- taking a liver detox supporting supplement called TMG (trimethylglycine)

- making sure my urine has an alkaline pH when I'm doing a round of chelation (if your urine is acidic, the chelators can drop some metals in the kidneys on the way out) -- I do this by drinking baking soda in water on rounds

Thanks to chelation, my IBS is nearly gone. I also noticed on my last round of chelation that I was able to tolerate a lot more carbs, which tells me that my insulin resistance is caused by the metals.

I still have the hormonal issues and food allergies. I think those are going to take awhile to resolve. I haven't even started taking ALA yet, which is the most important chelator since it's the only one that takes mercury out of your cells.

Edited by kaleidoscope

Just updating this in case anyone cares.

I've realized that chelation doesn't HAVE to be so hard on your adrenals and thyroid. Two things have helped me tolerate chelation much better:

- taking a liver detox supporting supplement called TMG (trimethylglycine)

- making sure my urine has an alkaline pH when I'm doing a round of chelation (if your urine is acidic, the chelators can drop some metals in the kidneys on the way out) -- I do this by drinking baking soda in water on rounds

Thanks to chelation, my IBS is nearly gone. I also noticed on my last round of chelation that I was able to tolerate a lot more carbs, which tells me that my insulin resistance is caused by the metals.

I still have the hormonal issues and food allergies. I think those are going to take awhile to resolve. I haven't even started taking ALA yet, which is the most important chelator since it's the only one that takes mercury out of your cells.

how long does your mother having mercury fillings affect you?

i don't have mercury fillings nor do i get allergy shots. could i still be affected?

The thing about hair mineral analysis is that it can be unreliable and inaccurate when measuring mercury in the body. If mercury is being deposited into the hair, then you are just measuring the amount that happened to be detoxed there. The most accurate way of testing is through ART ( autonomic response testing) / muscle testing. I know because I found a practitioner who treated me for mercury toxicity / candida. It took months to see the positive effects, but over 2 years to gain back a healthy immune system to prevent bad breakouts. I still suffer from time to time allergies and hormone imbalance. He passed that information onto me about hair analysis so I thought I'd share it.

Edited by Nightlilly89