Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've always been anti-supplement. And even though I take a ton of supplements a day I am still very against them, the only reason I still use them is because I am stuck in the mindset that they are speeding up the process of my skin healing.

However, supplements are very dangerous, and I feel like some of them cause me to breakout.

At the moment I am taking:

Vitamin C 1000 mg, twice daily

Vitamin A 10,000 IU, twice daily

Selenium 200 mcg, twice daily

Vitamin E 400 IU, twice daily

Zinc 50 mg, twice daily

B-50 complex, twice daily

Chromium 200 mcg, once daily

I think thats it, I'm sure theres more but I honestly can't remember all of them off the top of my head.

My skin is currently in a baaad breakout, and I'm guessing its from all the fruit I've eaten this past week (and almost 0 veg.). But I think that supplements aren't helping much either.

So my question is, if I cut out supplements completely (and maybe just take a multivitamin every day) would my skin either A)breakout or B)slow down in the healing process?

thanks

No one can answer that. You just have to try it if that's what you want. But you shouldn't be taking 100mg of zinc for any length of time.

The only two supplements i have found the most beneficial has been chromium, fish oil and zinc, so i dropped my others...I used to take all of those like you its crazy.

Right now im taking 100mg zinc and 800mg chromium and within 2 weeks it seems to have cleared up my back fairly nice (blaming it on the chromium)... but i dont recommend that high of zinc for anyone, im just using that til i get an antibiotic in a few weeks.

How long u been taking the b complex? i remember exactly 8 days after i took it i woke up with the most severe breakout of my life.

I've been taking Vit. B for a while, 2 months or more I think. I don't think the supps are helping really because it seems like everytime I try a new one I break out mysteriously and I continuously still break out in little bits and I'm confused as to what it is. It could be a supplement I'm taking or whatever but its a mystery.

I remember taking a new Vit. C pill (ascorbic acid 1000 mg) and I broke out horribly and am still recovering although now that breakout is returning (same spots are becoming infected and breaking out.)

I've been taking Vit. B for a while, 2 months or more I think. I don't think the supps are helping really because it seems like everytime I try a new one I break out mysteriously and I continuously still break out in little bits and I'm confused as to what it is. It could be a supplement I'm taking or whatever but its a mystery.

I remember taking a new Vit. C pill (ascorbic acid 1000 mg) and I broke out horribly and am still recovering although now that breakout is returning (same spots are becoming infected and breaking out.)

Yikes! Yeah, unless your diet is hideously bad, you probably don't need any of those supplements anyway (and they say not to use supplements to compensate for a poor diet). It is possible they're doing more harm than good. Try cutting them for awhile and see what happens, maybe one at a time so you'll know what works and what doesn't.

ps. Be especially careful with the vitamin A. Overdosing on that stuff isn't pretty.

Zinc is the only supplement known to actually help with acne. I'd definitely continue taking this.

Selenium helps Zinc absorb.

It is very well documented that Vitamin C is great at preventing cancer.

B-50/Complex are really good for you. I'd keep taking it.

If you take fish oil, you need to take Vitamin E. But only taking one type of Vitamin E can be harmful. You need a full spectrum (covers all 8) Vitamin E. Discontinue your current kind unless it is a full spectrum (you will know if it is; it will say something about it).

Chromium I don't know. Vitamin A seems like a lot unless it is Beta Carotene which is much safer.

In my opinion, you should discontinue using supplements. get that off your mind that it'll heal your skin because it looks like it isn't working.

I've been eating lots of fruits and vegetables and I've been excercising. I haven't gotten a pimple in a very long time

Let me break it down for you...

Vitamin C 1000 mg, twice daily - You don't need to take that much Vit C. I'd say drop the C and take it only when you feel you could be getting sick or when you haven't had much sleep and your immune system is low.

Vitamin A 10,000 IU, twice daily - this is the correct dosage, but I've never taken Vitamin A... You might want to eat foods that are rich in Vit A instead of taking the pills

Selenium 200 mcg, twice daily - is a trace mineral, like zinc, which means you don't need very much of it at all. It promotes antioxident activity in your body which is good. However, this is WAY too much selenium. DO NOT mega dose on trace minerals. We only need a TRACE of them, haha. Drop it to 50 mcg daily.

Vitamin E 400 IU, twice daily - This is good, but not necessary. You could drop this or stick with it.. If you want to minimalize things, drop it.

Zinc 50 mg, twice daily - I believe zinc is a good thing to take because it's like vitamin C - an immune booster. Drop the zinc to once daily 50 mg... It's also a trace mineral so like I mentioned above, we don't need very much of it. I've been taking zinc for 4 months now and it hasn't played any significant role in clearing up my skin just to let you know.

B-50 complex, twice daily - I would NEVER give up taking my B50 complex. I would be totally out of energy without this. Keep taking this, and take whatever the bottle recommends. Totally love BComplex. If you're gonna keep taking zinc, pair it with the zinc to help with zinc absorbtion.

Chromium 200 mcg, once daily - I used to take chromium when I was working out like a mofo... I would take chromium before I ate anything that had a lot of sugars in it because chromium is a glucose distributor. I advise not to take it daily, you can drop this from your routine and take it as needed when you eat high glucose meals.

I noticed that you AREN'T taking

1. Fish oils

2. Probiotics

Fish oils are awesome, they promote memory and brain function and healthy blood flow. They are incredible and I 150% recommend that you take them!

Probiotics are also amazing. If I could choose only one vitamin/supplement to take ... I would choose a probiotic. This has kept me super healthy forEVER. It balances bad bacteria and helps your digestive system also. There are SO many benefits to a probiotic. I can feel the difference in my body if I run out for a week and start taking a week later.

Okie dokie, hope that helps. Bye! =]

During my physical for tennis my doctor asked me what supplements I was taking and I mentioned Vit A 10,000 IU & she told me it messes up your liver and that I should stop taking it.

During my physical for tennis my doctor asked me what supplements I was taking and I mentioned Vit A 10,000 IU & she told me it messes up your liver and that I should stop taking it.

What form of vitamin A are you taking. Is it by itself or in a multivitamin?

None of those supplements are even slightly neccesary if you have a decent diet.

How necessary is Vit. D, magnesium and calcium?

If you got a blood test and found out that you were deficient in those nutrients, then I do believe good health helps acne, so the pills would be a good idea. Otherwise, I doubt that excess would help.

None of those supplements are even slightly neccesary if you have a decent diet.

Most people must have crappy diets then. The two main ways to get Vitamin D (which is actually a hormone) are from the sun and dairy. If you don't get enough of either of those then you should supplement. Almost everyone I know that has received a blood check of their Vitamin D level has been below where they want to be (even if they are supplementing).

For me, Vitamin D and Magensium are staples in my supplement regimen. I do not take Calcium.

Most people must have crappy diets then. The two main ways to get Vitamin D (which is actually a hormone) are from the sun and dairy. If you don't get enough of either of those then you should supplement. Almost everyone I know that has received a blood check of their Vitamin D level has been below where they want to be (even if they are supplementing).

For me, Vitamin D and Magensium are staples in my supplement regimen. I do not take Calcium.

I don't eat dairy and I'm a night shift worker. I try to get my sun during the day but, I'm not outside for hours.

Most peoples diets are atrocious

What form of vitamin A are you taking. Is it by itself or in a multivitamin?

The reason I ask is because I hear that beta carotene is a lot healthier than other forms of vitamin A, but don't take my word for it. I take a multivitamin called ADAM from now foods, and I swear that I have been getting more attention from the ladies since I started. Vitamins and minerals come in different forms, and from my research, ADAM seems to have the best form of everything. Keep in mind that I am a 215 pound muscular guy, but you could always cut the dosage in half.