Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retrolicious

Any recommendations for specific cystic pimple treatments?

When I go home for summer I'm going back to my dermatologist and I want to go there asking for a specific treatment that I know others have had success from.

From past experiences, BP only seems to work on my pimples once they have popped to dry them out. But when its a big red cyst nothing seems to work. I'm look for a treatment that prevents cysts from forming.

the systematic use of benzoyl peroxide will keep acne from forming in the first place. It works ok as a spot treatment, but its greatest strength is preventing the microcomedones (the precursor to cysts) from forming in the first place. Start slowly with it - wear it all over the area you break out for 15 minutes a day. Double the time every 3 days until you are wearing it overnight. Start with 2.5% (Dan Kern's), then when you are used to the up it to 5%. You have to keep up with the skin's ability to adapt to products.

the systematic use of benzoyl peroxide will keep acne from forming in the first place. It works ok as a spot treatment, but its greatest strength is preventing the microcomedones (the precursor to cysts) from forming in the first place. Start slowly with it - wear it all over the area you break out for 15 minutes a day. Double the time every 3 days until you are wearing it overnight. Start with 2.5% (Dan Kern's), then when you are used to the up it to 5%. You have to keep up with the skin's ability to adapt to products.

If you want to see some great before and after pics of some of my clients who I do this with go here.

I used to but 2.5% to 5% BP on my problem areas every night for months and it dried out my skin which only leads to more breakouts so I try to use BP sparingly now and only on popped pimples.