Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
username456

New here and have question

Hello all. I have struggled with acne since I was 12 and am now 19 and it does not seem to be getting any better. I have been gluten, dairy, and sugar (except for fruits) free for a year, and have not noticed any improvement in my skin. I take 6 herbal supplements a day for my skin as well, and that has not seemed to have helped either. After all this, I still don't know why I believe nutrition plays a role in skin, but I do, and am here for help. I once remember someone telling me about this book that basically goes through every food and lists why it's bad for skin (including some fruits and vegetables). Does anyone know what book I am talking about? Or does anyone recommend a book that discusses in detail nutrition and acne? I don't need a book that only talks about the effects gluten, dairy, and refined sugar has on acne. I know that already. I need to start looking at other foods now. Thanks so much for the help.

Sorry, I don't know of a book that lists foods and why they might be bad for acne. For the most part, other than the sugar and other inflammatory foods, anything else is an intolerance that is completely different from one person to the next.

For example, dairy and gluten don't cause me any problems. However, citrus fruits cause me to break out in cysts. To determine what you might have an allergy or intolerance to, you need to try an elimination diet. Either eliminate foods one at a time to see if there's an improvement, or follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a period during which you will hopefully see an improvement, then add foods back in one by one.

And speaking of inflammatory foods, have you also avoided hydrogenated/trans fats?

You also need to be consuming nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory foods, never binge eat, don't eat things you can't digest, exercise, sleep well, etc.

Sorry, I don't know of a book that lists foods and why they might be bad for acne. For the most part, other than the sugar and other inflammatory foods, anything else is an intolerance that is completely different from one person to the next.

For example, dairy and gluten don't cause me any problems. However, citrus fruits cause me to break out in cysts. To determine what you might have an allergy or intolerance to, you need to try an elimination diet. Either eliminate foods one at a time to see if there's an improvement, or follow a very hypoallergenic diet for a period during which you will hopefully see an improvement, then add foods back in one by one.

And speaking of inflammatory foods, have you also avoided hydrogenated/trans fats?

What types of foods have hydrogenated and trans fats? all i ever eat is fruits, vegetables, fish, chicken, rice, beans ...? so i don't think hydrogenated/trans fats would be in that.

how do i find out how to follow a hypoallergenic diet. what are some inflammatory foods?

ahhh i'm so confused.

and i try not to binge eat as much as possible, but if i binge eat on all healthy foods how would binge eating cause acne?