Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharper

My roaccutane journey

So i've just recently been prescribed roaccutane and thought it would be a good idea to keep a record of my progress. Reading other people's experiences has been really helpful in giving me an idea of what to expect throughout the course.

My acne is on the mild to moderate side but is very persistent and has not responded to any topicals or oral antibiotics. The dermatologist I went to see was great and wasn't reluctant to prescribe me the drug as I feared she would be. She put me on 70mg a day for 4 months so hopefully this will do the trick at last!

I'm currently on day 5 and so far I havn't experienced any side effects watsoever but i'm sure the dry lips and all the rest of it will kick in soon. My skin isn't any worse or better yet but i'm really hoping i'm one of the lucky ones who sees a gradual improvement from the beginning and I don't have a bad initial breakout. Fingers crossed!

I wasn't sure whether to take all my pills at once or at different times of day so asked the dermatologist and she said take them all at once with my main meal. So i'm taking them all after dinner with a glass of milk. Does know whether it makes a difference?

I'll update weekly or every few days with my progress but I doubt anyone will read this lol, but if anyone does, any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Sharper, I'll move this thread into the Regimen Logs forum with the other Accutane logs. I think you'll find that people do indeed visit each other's logs to offer help and support. Welcome to the community, and good luck with your course!

Day 7

So theres still no great deal of change in my skin so far but i'm not expecting to see any difference yet, just hoping it doesnt get worse. My lips feel a bit dry but nothing major and my skin is still pretty oily, but then again is still early days so it may take a while for it to kick in. I played golf yesterday and the sun was out for most of that time. I had spf 15 on and was wearing a hat but didn't burn in the slightest which is good. I'm going to Florida for a couple of weeks in june so will have to be extra careful when playing golf out there.

Welcome, and If you have any specific questions just ask in here and people are pretty good about answering them/offering advice.

My only advice is to make sure you keep moisturizing, the dryness will hit you probably in the next 3-5 days, also, Carry CHAPSTICK with you everywhere!!!! You soon won't be able to live without it.

I generally prefer carmex, but most people use aquaphor or burts bees wax.

I use Cetaphil products at the moment, and I find it works well. Cetaphil Cleanser(the original, not the kind for oily skin) Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion and Cetaphil Moisturizer with SPF 15. But find something that you like, I just recommend those and I think a lot of people like Cetaphil.

Thanks, yer i've got all the stuff, carmex, cleanser, moisteriser etc. All I need now is these side effects to kick. Hope they do soon so I know its working!

Day 8

Quick update - lips are starting to dry up and skin is a little. Lets hope things slowly begin to improve from here, fingers crossed!

Day 11

Skin is starting to dry up a bit which is good and havn't really had anything new form in the last couple of days. There's been a slight improvement in my skin overall but still lots of red marks. Still no real signs of an initial breakout, hopefully i'm one of the lucky ones who improves from the start. So far so good!

Day 14

So i'm now 2 weeks into my course of roaccutane and things have got a little worse since my last post. Been breaking out quite a bit and also my skin is quite red with loads of marks. My lips are pretty dry and my skin is less oily which is a good thing. I'm trying to stay positive and keep telling myself that ultimately things will get better but there will be ups and downs along the way.

Day 17

So things are pretty much the same except i'm starting to get a bit of back pain every now again, which I can deal with. Broke out on my forehead quite badly over the last couple of days but they are now healing which is good. There are some areas of my face which are breaking out alot less and feel really smooth but all the red marks left there still make the skin look bad, hopefully these will fade over time. The thing i'm most pleased about is that my face now produces hardly any oil and is getting smoother to touch. I'm off to Florida in 3 weeks so really hope things improve alot by then.

Day 20

Nearly 3 weeks of roaccutane and despite a few breakouts so far, things have definately improved slightly. My skin is alot smoother and no longer produces any oil watsoever. However, there are still lots of red marks which are taking ages to fade. Apart from that things are going pretty good!

Day 23

Definately seeing a slight improvement in my skin overall. There are fewer breakouts and old red marks are slowly fading. I've got a really bad habit of picking at dry bits of skin which I need to stop. Apart from that things are going pretty good.