Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fort

How Benzoyl peroxide Works

Benzoyl peroxide breaks down and removes the dead cells on the skin surface. It also kills bacteria on the skin.

The removal of cells from the top layer of skin unblocks the sebaceous glands (glands which secrete sebum), which become blocked in acne. This reduces inflamation of the gland as the sebum can then escape.

Bacteria on the skin feed on sebum and produce waste products which further inflame the sebaceous glands, causing acne. Benzoyl peroxide reduces their numbers by reducing their food source (sebum) and by directly killing them.

Taken from netdoctor.co.uk

Isn't there also something about it increasing the oxygen concentration in the pores, which the bacteria can't live in?

thats y ppl have their red marks heal slower with bp

he said oxygen helps with it, but bp blocks the oxygen from getting there

good thing I read this, I never understtod why all of a sudden that i'm treating my face with the regime i get red spots after a pimple goes away. o well long as it goes away it's fine

I agree Gator BP seems to break me out as well. Not a good remedy. I am getting ready to try the regimen on my chest and back with mild acne, but I can guarantee I will have a bad reaction like always. I want to stick with it though as long as possible.

Everyone is different!

Some people have found their "cure" with BP!

On the otherhand, BP does kill this bacteria and keeps away the oil!

However, if your face is dry, your skin may produce more oil, therefore worsening your situation. And since BP may not work for these type of people, they have to deal with the issue that they need some other product.

However you need to realize two things:

1. If you produce much oil!

2. and you have water tension in the face!

Then you will have acne.

Some people have excessively oily faces and will look so young when they are "older"

While others don't produce much oil at all and yet have much water tension in their face.

Take a look next time...

he said oxygen helps with it, but bp blocks the oxygen from getting there

good thing I read this, I never understtod why all of a sudden that i'm treating my face with the regime i get red spots after a pimple goes away. o well long as it goes away it's fine

I find that the BP kills the blemishes overnight almost (10% spot treat) but after 8 weeks still see breakouts of 3-4 blemishes a week or so. And she does have dry skin, it has only ever been oily in the T-zone.

No, the fact is the P. acne bacteria is anaerobic. When pores are clogged, there is no oxygen entering the follicles, which provides those p. acne bacteria with an excellent condition to grow up and reproduce. (of course the sebum is another factor as well)

When b.p is applied, it will release oxygenic molecules into the follicles which can kill the p. acne bacteria because anaerobic bacteria have no way to survive in an oxygen-rich environment. It's advised not to use b.p too much because it has the same effect on your skin as free radicals(which antioxidants try to confront), including speeding up the aging process.

Well that's great. Speed up the aging process, or acne scars. Life is full of great choices. :sad:

Well that's great. Speed up the aging process, or acne scars. Life is full of great choices.  :sad:

Well I've already chose that, since I use BP. Of course, I already have some from my youth.

No, the fact is the P. acne bacteria is anaerobic. When pores are clogged, there is no oxygen entering the follicles, which provides those p. acne bacteria with an excellent condition to grow up and reproduce. (of course the sebum is another factor as well)

When b.p is applied, it will release oxygenic molecules into the follicles which can kill the p. acne bacteria because anaerobic bacteria have no way to survive in an oxygen-rich environment. It's advised not to use b.p too much because it has the same effect on your skin as free radicals(which antioxidants try to confront), including speeding up the aging process.

Shriek is right about bp. It's a strong oxidizer, so it kills bacteria, but it can also damage living skin cells. The way bp works, it penetrates down into the pores, where it reacts with water, releasing hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide kills p. acnes bacteria, but as I said, it can harm live skin cells. For that reason, I believe that while bp may be an effective short-term treatment for severe acne, it should not be used routinely as a long-term treatment.

An interesting mechanism for killing p. acnes bacteria in the skin is intense blue light. A while ago, I suggested using a polycarbonate face shield to filter out ultraviolet light while exposing the face to direct sunlight for a period of one hour. I haven't tried this, as I've been able to prevent acne by dietary means. Here's a link to the kind of face shield to use:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/s...ler/output_html

It can be purchased at welding or laboratory supply shops. If you buy one, make sure it complies with ANSI Z87.1-1989, as that specifies a high degree of ultraviolet filtration.