Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fribjits

Severe paintful acne. What should I do/take?

I'm a 21 year old male, when i first started getting acne in my early teens I was put on minocyclin which worked for about a couple years before I built an immunity for it. Then they tried putting me on accutane but the side effects were really bad stomach wise. The same thing happened with bactrim, it works, but I get reallly bad stomach symptoms, even when I take a probiotic. My newest derm tried putting me on Doxycyclin but that hasn't done anything in 4 weeks. My face just hurts soooooooo bad. It's unbelieavble how much pain I'm in. I'm losing sleep because I wake up in the middle of the night, my many pustules hanging deep around my nose and chin.

I really don't know where to turn, is there another antibiotic I should try? Some treatment I havent thought of? Help!! :(

painful cysts are horrible, I hope you find something to help.

Out of curiosity what dosage of accutane were you on? Maybe a low dose course might be an option, but that would of course depend on how your stomach reacts.

Also, I wanted to ask this, I made a promise to myself to eat absolutely NO junky food for a whole week starting wednesday, the only things I'm taking right now is an omega 3 capsule and some lemon juice. Well now it's friday morning and I wokeup with a HUGE breakout of a ton of little whiteheads all over my chin. Is this some sort of initial breakout and a sign of good things to come? Or should I be worried and try and go back on an antibiotic? :o

I'm only using a 2% salycylic acid acne wash morning and night along with organic lemon juice on my face, nothing else.

Lemon juice is extremely harsh and probably aggrevating your skin, and your cleanser does not sound all that effective (IMHO) so you might want to investigate that. This board is loaded with tons of info on different topicals, some Rx and some OTC. SA and BP actually make me break out worse; so I avoid both.

I have been using a topical clindamycin foam (Evoclin) in the AM and Ziana gel (clindamycin/trentinoin) in the PM. These are both Rx. There are other options that are not Rx. I'm surprised your doc hasn't given you at least some type of topical to try, especially since you're having reactions to the oral meds.

Other stuff to try that people have had good luck with are Tea Tree Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar. You need to pick up a gentle cleanser too, and add an exfoliator to your plan (as long as your skin can handle it).

As far as oral meds go - do you take them with food? Do you take a Pepcid beforehand? Sometimes these things can help with the GI upset.

I forgot to mention that ice and advil are a must for the pain. Good luck!

My doc gave me retin-A to use, but that didn't work for me.

I don't think I've tried apple cider vinegar yet, but I know I've tried tea tree oil before.

When you say lemon juice might be aggravating, do you mean topically or orally? (Cuz I drink it a lot to).

Well, if it helps to easy your mind, you definitely not the only one with these sorts of problems. I'm in roughly the same situation as you are with acne and I've been trying everything to get rid of it, with varying success.

As far as looking for a solution is concerned, that's really going to be a mystery until you discover what works for you. There are many different causes of acne and many different potential cures for it.

Antibotics are only one of the things you can do to try to prevent acne, if your lucky one might work, if not you can try to address the cause of the acne at the source. I for one am a strong believer in a link between the western diet and acne, many pharmacutical companies will say otherwise but I treat this with quite some sceptism. Look around this site for diet tips and also look for other topical creams/oils which you can use. Tea tree oil (100%) is favored by many people on this site and I am about to give it a go myself. Another site which I found highly useful was acne-advice.com where you can download a very informative and well researched ebook in the cause and solutions to acne.

Hope this helps.

Here are some of the medications that have helped me:

-Clydamicin gel (perscription only) This gel really helped me heal a cluster of nasty and infected cystic pimples on my chin. Out of all the creams I've tried and I've tried many, this was by far the best cream ever!

-Proactive has helped me but I know others who hate it.

Tea tree oil is available at any health store and is a great antiseptic. I put a few drops in the bath when I break out on my back or in a bowl of hot water and steam my face. IF you do this don't put your face too close to the water and make sure the water isnt scalding hot.

I heard somewhere that eating a lot of citrus fruits can cause breakouts.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Are you drinking the premade lemonade or do you make it yourself? I recommend natually squeezed lemonade mixed with organic maple syrup (grade B) to make it less acidic. If you try this once a day before going to sleep, it might help.

Hang in there brotha!