Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DAY 1

Yay! I got my prescription of Claravis and took my first pill today! Wow, I can't believe I'm actually taking Accutane. I'm so, so curious to find out what it's gonna do to my skin, and how quickly it will work! I'll be sure to take 'before' pictures of my face by tomorrow so I can track my progress! Until then though, here's my story:

So, I'm a 17 year old female and I remember starting to become aware of my skin by the end up 9th grade (I'm in 12th now, and at that time, I would just have some small breakouts. NOTHING compared to what I would soon have to deal with within the next year) Then, I moved for the first time and during that summer my face started getting worse. That's when I first started trying to learn about what I can do about my skin, but nothing reversed it. Around September/October of... 2006 it would be? my face got horrible. I started out my 10th grade year at a new school with big fat bumps randomly spread out around my face. It was more than embarrassing and it prevented my from making new friends, so I was kind of a loner for 10th-11th grade (but we won't get into all that). I remember that winter it was still really bad, but I haven't yet seen a dermatologist. In 11th grade it was still bad, but the big "nodules" I would get didn't happen as often. But I was still EXTREMELY self-conscious about it. Plus I had a lot of red marks to worry about (that I still have to this day). Starting this school year, it seemed more manageable and I started seeing a dermatologist and went on lots of different antibiotics/topicals, etc. They didn't really work. So, fast-forwarding to recent times, my skin somehow is the best it's been in a long time. I think it might be from going tanning, believe it or not. I'm getting lots of vitamin D from the sun, plus having tanned skin doesn't make it look as bad As a result, I'm happier than I've been in a while and I'm getting out and enjoying life more than I used to, that's for sure.

Buuuuut, as always, I know I'm going to start breaking out like I used to again soon (I'm starting to get lots of bumps around my jawline, plus I still have red marks all over) So that's why I'm taking Accutane. I've always had persistent acne and I really don't think I can get rid of it without Accutane. Plus my skin has always been very oily, so there's another negative!

Okay well, I think I've written enough for now. I'm hoping this is the start of something really good! I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Once again, I'll be posting pictures soon, so keep in touch and don't hesitate to talk to me and share your experiences! Plus, I'll probably need the reminder to keep up with this log! I'm a forgetful girl

Thanks to everyone and I wish you all good luck on your journeys to clear skin. Here's to the beginning of mine!

DAY 2

So, I forgot to mention this in my first post but I'm on 20 mg twice in the morning and once at night. so 60 mg total. I'm thinking it will do a good job of clearing me up.

As far as progress goes, there's none to report today. I took my 2 pills this morning before school. My skin looks the same. Oily, oily, oily. I still have those bumps around my jawline though and a couple of them hurt a little. I don't really mind having them here though 'cause they aren't really noticeable. I'm just glad they're not in the middle of my cheeks or anything! (YET...) I really want to know when my IB will be coming! I'm so anxious!

So yeah, nothing new to report. I'm thinking I should go out and buy some things, like Aquaphor and maybe some fish oils? (I already have 2 Cetaphil moisturizers) What did you guys buy when you first started Accutane? What would you recommend? I need a little shopping list! :think:

Oh and also, just for something a little interesting, I'll be tracking the songs I'm listening to while I post these. I thought that would be fun, since music is basically MY LIFE. And maybe I'll be able to meet some people on here with the same music taste as me! Haha, enjoy :cool:

CURRENT SONG: Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire

Hey, congratulations on starting Accutane! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results :)

In regards to your shopping list, definitely pick up Aquaphor! It's a life saver for sure. I live in Canada, and I had a friend in the US ship me some (for some reason it's not available here). You didn't mention what cleanser you were using, but I would recommend Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, it's really nice and it's important to pick a gentle moisturizer that doesn't exfoliate, which could irritate your skin while on Accutane. I too use Cetaphil moisturizer, and am very happy with it.

I've heard a lot of people take Fish Oils with good results, so definitely try it if you'd like - let us know how that goes! In fact, I may try them as well. I believe people take them to alleviate joint pain associated with Accutane?

hey lady.

our stories sound similar. i think it's good that you're starting accutane when your still 17...i waited til i was 20 and ugh. i can relate to your whole high school situation. it sucks.

anyways. as far as shopping list goes...let's see:

*Aquaphor- you can get it in a tub or a tube. you will definitely need this stuff for your lips and up inside your nose. (sounds totally ridiculous, but trust me it get soo dry and starts hurting after awhile). you can use Vaseline for the inside of your nose if you want to, but aquaphor is better for your lips.

*a bunch of different chap sticks...it's kind of a trial and error thing...everybody has their favorites. you just have to try some out and see what you like best. my personal recommendation is the Nivea kiss of moisturizer in the DARK BLUE tube. only the dark blue tube though. the light blue one sucks. i love this stuff. my fav.

*Cetaphil daily wash. it's just a really basic cleanser that's good to use on accutane. it doesn't dry. smells decent. there is a daily one and a gentle one. personally, i don't like the gentle one because it feels gross and doesn't really clean. so yeah. definitely pick up some Cetaphil daily wash. i use it twice a day. there is also a cleanser called Purpose that people on Accutane use too. it's okay. i bought it but i hardly ever use it because it can leave you kinda dry. check it out though.

*Cetaphil cream in a tub...i saw that you said you already have 2 Cetaphil moisturizers so i'm not sure which ones. but this cream stuff works pretty well but only at night because it's super thick and feels kinda gross, but it keeps you moisturized and you won't get flakes. i use it every night and haven't had flakes.

*fish oil pills...like you said. yes, definitely pick some of these up. doesn't really matter which brand. take 2 or 3 a day with your accutane pills. they seriously help with joint aches and stuff like that. i've been taking them since day 1 of my course and i haven't had any major side effects. plus, fish oil is overall just good for your body, accutane or not.

that's all i can really think of. those are the things i bought. here are just some random tips:

*drink A LOT of water...trust me...it will help so much. it will help with your lips, skin, and body. you will get sooo dry, so if you drink a lot of water it's good for you.

*when your lips start getting peely...take your toothbrush and gently massage your lips for like a minute. don't scrub or be aggressive, just be gentle. do it in lil circles then after apply a bunch of aquaphor. it feels soo good and makes your lips look semi smooth and normal again.

*if you want, exfoliate maybe once a week with a scrub...but VERY VERY VERY gently...just to get some of the dead skin off. just make sure you don't scrub or be rough.

okay WOW i'm sorry i just wrote a novel. just trying to be helpful. good luck. :)

hey lady.

our stories sound similar. i think it's good that you're starting accutane when your still 17...i waited til i was 20 and ugh. i can relate to your whole high school situation. it sucks.

anyways. as far as shopping list goes...let's see:

*Aquaphor- you can get it in a tub or a tube. you will definitely need this stuff for your lips and up inside your nose. (sounds totally ridiculous, but trust me it get soo dry and starts hurting after awhile). you can use Vaseline for the inside of your nose if you want to, but aquaphor is better for your lips.

*a bunch of different chap sticks...it's kind of a trial and error thing...everybody has their favorites. you just have to try some out and see what you like best. my personal recommendation is the Nivea kiss of moisturizer in the DARK BLUE tube. only the dark blue tube though. the light blue one sucks. i love this stuff. my fav.

*Cetaphil daily wash. it's just a really basic cleanser that's good to use on accutane. it doesn't dry. smells decent. there is a daily one and a gentle one. personally, i don't like the gentle one because it feels gross and doesn't really clean. so yeah. definitely pick up some Cetaphil daily wash. i use it twice a day. there is also a cleanser called Purpose that people on Accutane use too. it's okay. i bought it but i hardly ever use it because it can leave you kinda dry. check it out though.

*Cetaphil cream in a tub...i saw that you said you already have 2 Cetaphil moisturizers so i'm not sure which ones. but this cream stuff works pretty well but only at night because it's super thick and feels kinda gross, but it keeps you moisturized and you won't get flakes. i use it every night and haven't had flakes.

*fish oil pills...like you said. yes, definitely pick some of these up. doesn't really matter which brand. take 2 or 3 a day with your accutane pills. they seriously help with joint aches and stuff like that. i've been taking them since day 1 of my course and i haven't had any major side effects. plus, fish oil is overall just good for your body, accutane or not.

that's all i can really think of. those are the things i bought. here are just some random tips:

*drink A LOT of water...trust me...it will help so much. it will help with your lips, skin, and body. you will get sooo dry, so if you drink a lot of water it's good for you.

*when your lips start getting peely...take your toothbrush and gently massage your lips for like a minute. don't scrub or be aggressive, just be gentle. do it in lil circles then after apply a bunch of aquaphor. it feels soo good and makes your lips look semi smooth and normal again.

*if you want, exfoliate maybe once a week with a scrub...but VERY VERY VERY gently...just to get some of the dead skin off. just make sure you don't scrub or be rough.

okay WOW i'm sorry i just wrote a novel. just trying to be helpful. good luck. :)

Geeze, don't be sorry! That was sooooo helpful, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to buy some fish oil soon, and probably one of those Cetaphil cleansers. I want to do everything I can to not get flakes! Thanks again :)

DAY 3

So it seems to be going pretty well so far. Nothing too dramatic has changed (body-wise, that is. I don't think my face hasn't changed any yet). However, I woke up this morning and it felt like I bruised my elbow. I'm really not gonna jump to the conclusion that this had anything to do with accutane, maybe I just bumped it while I was sleeping or something, but that's never happened before. But I'm not worried, the pain is going away now! As of other side effects, I think the skin on my body is starting to get a little dry. My lips are still normal though (but I'm used to wearing chapstick every single day) and my face is still getting oily throughout the day. Oh and I got a slight headache at work today, I don't know if that's related either. But if I keep getting them I'll post it.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to CVS to buy some really good body lotion (any recommendations?!?) and probably some aquaphor so I can be ready for when my lips start to freak out :P and fish oil too. How many mg's of fish oil would be a good amount for me to take? And I was told that any kind will do, so should I not spend too much time searching around?

I think that's gonna be it for today. Wait one more question... how many more days do you think it should be before I start seeing ANY changes?

Thanks everyone :) Until tomorrow!

CURRENT SONG: Lydia - Smile, You've Made It

hello! I just wanted to say that I, too, love KOL :) I've been listening to them for like 4 years

anyways, I just wanted to say that you are beautiful! I'm on 80 mg/day, I started around a week before you but we can still be accutane buddies, yayy lol

good luck!

steph

hello! I just wanted to say that I, too, love KOL :) I've been listening to them for like 4 years

anyways, I just wanted to say that you are beautiful! I'm on 80 mg/day, I started around a week before you but we can still be accutane buddies, yayy lol

good luck!

steph

Hey there! Haha I know I've been listening to them for that long too! They're so good :)

I've actually read some of your log a few days ago. Yay for being accutane buddies! Good luck to you too :)

Hey Lauren,

Best of luck with your accutane experience. I am on day 23 and doing alright I guess. I'll keep an eye out on your log. :) Adios.

DAY 4

Yay! Four days into accutane. I can't wait 'till I end my first week!

Well, today I noticed that the skin on my body is starting to get reeaaally dry, like my legs/thighs and stomach the most. So I just got home from work and slathered on some lotion all over haha. But my face still isn't getting flaky or tight yet. My lips either, but I've still been using moisturizer everyday. And chapstick constantly throughout the day, but that's what I'm used to doing. Oh and I went out and got some fish oil, so that's good. While I was out, I saw this stuff (I forget the name) that's supposed to help heal pigmentation marks and stuff. It isn't all natural but it has vitamin E and C and something else I believe. I was so close to buying it but it was like $12 and I already had a lot of other things to buy. And I couldn't decide if I should be buying things to put on my face while on accutane... what do you guys think? It also said "if dryness or irritation occurs, reduce use" or something, so I definitely don't want something that will dry out my skin! But I have lots of red marks :/

Anyways, what else... oh, my face seemed a little more on the red side than usual today. Once again, don't know if that was accutane related because I just washed my face and it doesn't seem red anymore. But overall I think my skin is looking a little better every day. It feels nice :) I'm not TOO nervous for my IB anymore, because I know it will be gone before I know it and after that goes away, it's just going to get better and better. I just wonder when I'm gonna get it! OH almost forgot, I actually noticed I have a few painful spots on the sides of my nose... you know, the ones that you can't see but you know are gonna show up soon... yeah, those. It just kinda hurts a little if I were to pinch my nose or something. I hope those don't come up all ugly. Guess I'll just let you guys know!

CURRENT SONG: Ra Ra Riot - Dying is Fine

Hey Lauren,

Best of luck with your accutane experience. I am on day 23 and doing alright I guess. I'll keep an eye out on your log. :) Adios.

I finally took some pictures! I'm using my mac so they're not really good quality and you can't really see everything that's there in person, but you get the idea. My skin is worse on the left side and I have a cyst on my left temple as you can see and it's taking forever to leave! :wall: Obviously I just have a lot of red marks. I'm pretty happy with the right side of my face right now except for the big mark in the middle from 2 big cysts I had next to each other a few days ago. In fact I can still feel them a little bit. I also just realized that I have one under-the-skin one right under my left jawline and I used to have like 4, so that's good! I haven't been paying much attention to that area so I don't know when they went away but I'm happy they are! Haha, don't need those coming out in the IB.

That's all :)

Left:

post-97409-1241322818_thumb.jpg

Right:

post-97409-1241322835_thumb.jpg

Front:

post-97409-1241322850_thumb.jpg

post-97409-1241322818_thumb.jpg

post-97409-1241322835_thumb.jpg

post-97409-1241322850_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Just noticed that you started a day before I did! I'm on an alternating 40/80mg perscription and have already noticed some subtle changes. You are a LOT more detailed with your log than I am. Haha. I'll be interested to see how our results differ. (or not)

Take care!

Nik

Hi there,

Just noticed that you started a day before I did! I'm on an alternating 40/80mg perscription and have already noticed some subtle changes. You are a LOT more detailed with your log than I am. Haha. I'll be interested to see how our results differ. (or not)

Take care!

Nik

Awesome! I hope yours goes well, I'll be checking up on you!

Keep in touch :)

Lauren

DAY 5

Alright well I have a few things going on.

1) I'm kinda getting dried blood in my nose (yuck).

2) Noticed my skin is starting to be a litttttle peely. Still not tight or dry yet, it still gets oily throughout the day.

3) Legs and stomach is still getting really dry. I have to put lotion on a couple times a day.

4) That cyst on my left temple is bigger! Ah it's in such an annoying spot, it's distracting how much it sticks out! Haha gross.

5) Overall, the look of my skin is better. I can't really pinpoint it but it's just nicer to look at, you know?

6) I think the skin under my eyes is lighter (I used to have somewhat dark undereye circles) so that's good!

... I think that's it. I've been taking 2 fish oil capsules a day and haven't noticed any joint pain yet. Otherwise, everything's pretty much the same as yesterday.

And I'm reaaaally tired now, I had a crazy day at work. The rush was so intense and nonstop! (I work at an ice cream shop) Only made $15 in tips though, compared to the $21 I made last Sunday! Sunday's are our busy days. Anyways, that's really off topic. Here's a few more (bad quality) pictures:

Left:

post-97409-1241408408_thumb.jpg

Right:

post-97409-1241408453_thumb.jpg

Front:

post-97409-1241408477_thumb.jpg

CURRENT SONG: Aqueduct - Growing Up With GNR

Hey Lauren,

Cyst acne is horrible. Its painful and it creates attention and distractions in conversations. lol

I had a huge cyst, the biggest one in my life around 15 days into the treatment. It was horrible. Good luck and keep ya head up. :)

Hey there, good luck on your course!! I read in your last post that you were getting some dry spots on your body and peeling a bit. Well, I started getting very dry around day 7, and days 7-14 were probably the worst for me, but then I changed a few things: First, I started drinking a ton of water. Seriously, I keep a gallon jug with me at all times and I probably drink about 1.5 gallons a day. Since I started drinking a ton of water daily, my skin has stayed pretty hydrated and I actually think it helped clear my IB faster. The second thing I started doing is using CeraVe body cream (cream, not lotion) on my face and body after I shower before bed. This has helped a ton!! It's pretty thick, but it really does the job - my arms have never been smoother, and I can usually go most of the day without putting ANY moisturizer on my face, which is nice (I hate that greasy feeling of having lotion on your face all day :P )

So yeah, sorry for the long reply, but my best advice is drink lots of water and use body cream at night!!

Ahhh! I'm happy for you that you're starting accutane! :) In all of your pictures you're really pretty so I'm sure once the accutane is gone you'll look amazing!

I'm starting accutane May 13th, and yours has been helpful in seeing what is to come. I'm also in high school so I know how it is feeling so self conscious. ):

Good luck!

Hey there, good luck on your course!! I read in your last post that you were getting some dry spots on your body and peeling a bit. Well, I started getting very dry around day 7, and days 7-14 were probably the worst for me, but then I changed a few things: First, I started drinking a ton of water. Seriously, I keep a gallon jug with me at all times and I probably drink about 1.5 gallons a day. Since I started drinking a ton of water daily, my skin has stayed pretty hydrated and I actually think it helped clear my IB faster. The second thing I started doing is using CeraVe body cream (cream, not lotion) on my face and body after I shower before bed. This has helped a ton!! It's pretty thick, but it really does the job - my arms have never been smoother, and I can usually go most of the day without putting ANY moisturizer on my face, which is nice (I hate that greasy feeling of having lotion on your face all day :P )

So yeah, sorry for the long reply, but my best advice is drink lots of water and use body cream at night!!

Hey, thanks! Yeah, my legs especially are really dry... I needed a recommendation for a GOOD body lotion, so thank you so much! I'll probably go out and buy that tonight. And I'll make sure I'm always drinking water. I find it hard to keep track of exactly how much I'm drinking a day though... is that just me? Haha and yeah I'm using Cetaphil moisturizer on my face and it actually leaves me greasy :/ My skin is already oily enough! So I don't really like using it. I'll be on the lookout for new ones.

Well thanks again! Good luck with everything :)

Ahhh! I'm happy for you that you're starting accutane! :) In all of your pictures you're really pretty so I'm sure once the accutane is gone you'll look amazing!

I'm starting accutane May 13th, and yours has been helpful in seeing what is to come. I'm also in high school so I know how it is feeling so self conscious. ):

Good luck!

Thank you so much! :) I bet you're excited, good luck with your treatment! I'll try to be as specific as I can in my log, I'm glad it helps you out :) I'm just a beginner so it seems weird to me that I'm actually helping someone who hasn't started yet! But it's cool :) Keep in touch!

DAY 5

2) Noticed my skin is starting to be a litttttle peely. Still not tight or dry yet, it still gets oily throughout the day.

3) Legs and stomach is still getting really dry. I have to put lotion on a couple times a day.

4) That cyst on my left temple is bigger! Ah it's in such an annoying spot, it's distracting how much it sticks out! Haha gross.

5) Overall, the look of my skin is better. I can't really pinpoint it but it's just nicer to look at, you know?

6) I think the skin under my eyes is lighter (I used to have somewhat dark undereye circles) so that's good!

... I think that's it. I've been taking 2 fish oil capsules a day and haven't noticed any joint pain yet. Otherwise, everything's pretty much the same as yesterday.

And I'm reaaaally tired now, I had a crazy day at work. The rush was so intense and nonstop! (I work at an ice cream shop) Only made $15 in tips though, compared to the $21 I made last Sunday! Sunday's are our busy days. Anyways, that's really off topic. Here's a few more (bad quality) pictures:

Left:

Right:

Front:

DUDE LAUREN!!!! WE STARTED ON THE SAME DAY!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!! i have been looking through logs to find an accutane buddy. Cool Beans, sista. Yeah, my skin is still pretty oily still. Anyways, good luck.

DAY 5

Left:

Right:

Front:

DUDE LAUREN!!!! WE STARTED ON THE SAME DAY!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!! i have been looking through logs to find an accutane buddy. Cool Beans, sista. Yeah, my skin is still pretty oily still. Anyways, good luck.

Hahah YAY! That's awesome. Make sure you keep in touch! I'm really glad I have someone that started the same day as me! :D Good luck to you!

DAY 6

I don't feel like writing too much here today. There's not much change though. But my skin still gets really oily throughout the day, especially when I use that Cetaphil moisturizer! It makes my skin look greasy :/ I hate that! But umm, I had to exfoliate my nose today, it was kinda peeling. And lathered up on the body lotion too. My lips are still normal :) I think it's a good thing that I'm so used to always using chapstick. I never let my lips feel dry. Hmm nothing else to really say. I hope Accutane will shrink my pores a little too... I remember reading that somewhere and my pores a huge man, I'd be so happy if they were smaller! So if anyone knows anything about THAT, please share :) Well it's getting pretty late, have a good night everyone!

CURRENT SONG: Electrelane - Saturday

DAY 8

Man! I get tired easily of updating this all the time! But it's my own log, I know I don't have to keep up with it so much. Thought it would be most important within the first couple weeks though. Any-who, I think my lips are finally starting to dry up faster. They're not peeling or anything because I'm always wearing chapstick, but they just get uncomfortable quickly and I can tell if I don't put chapstick on, they would get dry, you know? (Just put some on again! haha) And my legs are still dry. But my hair and face still get pretty oily during the day, blah! I hate being oily! I just bought some of those oil absorbing sheets. I've had them once before, they're alright. Better than having to go to the bathroom at school between every class and wiping my face with tissue paper! I wish I could have skin like those girls who can just go through the whole day without looking at their face and they still wouldn't be shiny at the end of the day. Damn my genes! But um, other than all that I think I'm pretty much the same. EXCEPT I feel a zit coming up on my chin (painful), and one smaller zit on each cheek (I never get this size zit, weird!) They're just little red spots. I don't know if this means my IB is coming... it doesn't really feel like a full-on breakout yet... I'll let you know. But I have to try my hardest not to touch them. I feel like I touch my face soo much now, I don't know what's gotten into me. I'm gonna make a conscious effort to stop! I don't need my face looking anymore dented/uneven as it does now. It just doesn't look smooooth :/

OH! I bought some Bio-Oil too! I realllllly hope this works on my red marks/scars. WHO HAS TRIED IT?! :) I'm using it twice a day-after I shower in the morning, under my makeup, and after I wash my face at night.

Alrightyyy well I'm done for now. Hope everyone's having a nice day :)

CURRENT SONG: Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue