Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nina25

Spironolactone

This is why it is recommended to take Spiro with a bc pill. So your periods are regular. The doc said it's not "normal" but this is what has been reported time and time again. Some women can take it and not have this happen and some can't apparently.

I just posted about my experience with taking spiro in the past. I'm ready to take it again b/c it's the only thing that worked great for clearing my skin and keeping it clear while I was on it. To answer your question, I never experienced any problems or irregularities with my menstrual cycle while taking the spiro.

I just posted about my experience with taking spiro in the past. I'm ready to take it again b/c it's the only thing that worked great for clearing my skin and keeping it clear while I was on it. To answer your question, I never experienced any problems or irregularities with my menstrual cycle while taking the spiro.

How much do you take to keep clear? Any problems with anything while taking it?

I was on spiro for 16 months and finally had to quit last August because it didn't do anything to clear my skin, and I too had two periods a month for over a year! I couldn't take it anymore...I was so tired all the time and my periods never regulated although my derm told me that they would. I was also not on the Pill. Didn't work for me. Now I'm using tazorac and my skin is improving, and my periods are completely normal again.

I'm on 100 mg a day and sometimes add an extra 50 if I'm especially oily (at the suggestion of my derm). I haven't had double periods, but they're unpredictable. Sometimes really heavy flow, sometimes just barely spotting. It's been a miracle for the monthly cysts I would get.

I have been on spiro for 1 1/2 years, gradually increasing from 25mg to 100mg, which I've been on for about 6 months. My period got lighter, to the point that I have not even had one for 3 months now! I am feeling a little freaked about that, so I will be sure to ask at my derm appt next month.

I've been on spiro for about 4 months now, and while it has dramatically improved my acne, I too have had two periods a month the entire time I've been on it.

For those who combine spiro with a birth control pill, has your doctor worried about using Yaz or yasmin with spiro? Mine seemed to think it was a bad idea, but I'm not sure why.

Spironlactone will cause irregular periods. That's one of the adverse affects so I am surprised that your doctor didn't see it coming. Most doctors prescribe an oral birthcontrol pill to regulate periods while the patient is on spiro. It's also dangerous to get pregnant while you're on this drug since the anti androgenic properties of spiro can adversely affect the male fetus(incase you get pregnant with a boy).

If you have PCOS, then your doctor should prescribe you an OCP such as Yasmin, Desogen, triorthocyclin, or any pill NOT containing levonorgestrel, norgestrel, and norethindrone since that can worsen acne and hirsutism (excessive unwanted hairgrowth).

I am currently doing an ob/gyn rotation so I know a few things about oral contraceptive pills and hormonal issues.

Spironlactone will cause irregular periods. That's one of the adverse affects so I am surprised that your doctor didn't see it coming. Most doctors prescribe an oral birthcontrol pill to regulate periods while the patient is on spiro. It's also dangerous to get pregnant while you're on this drug since the anti androgenic properties of spiro can adversely affect the male fetus(incase you get pregnant with a boy).

If you have PCOS, then your doctor should prescribe you an OCP such as Yasmin, Desogen, triorthocyclin, or any pill NOT containing levonorgestrel, norgestrel, and norethindrone since that can worsen acne and hirsutism (excessive unwanted hairgrowth).

I am currently doing an ob/gyn rotation so I know a few things about oral contraceptive pills and hormonal issues.

Tammy, should I be concerned about not having a period? Is that, in itself, a bad thing?

Tammy, should I be concerned about not having a period? Is that, in itself, a bad thing?

Not having periods regularly can be due to many reasons including PCOS. Other symtpoms of PCOS are acne, excessive facial hair, obesity and insulin resistance. If you have acne, hirustism(excessive unwanted facial hair), and irregular periods then you should get tested for PCOS. Your doctor will do ultrasound, blood tests , check for LH:FSH ratio and insulin resistance.

Treatment might include oral contraceptive pill, hypoglycemic drugs, or diet changes all depending on what your symtpoms are.

Guest tvspy
I'm on 100 mg a day and sometimes add an extra 50 if I'm especially oily (at the suggestion of my derm). I haven't had double periods, but they're unpredictable. Sometimes really heavy flow, sometimes just barely spotting. It's been a miracle for the monthly cysts I would get.

Hi Sue!

I am on the same dosage. I have had "normal" periods, however I have been on Spiro for about 3 months. First month, normal. Second month: came a week early and this month at 24days, instead of the usual 28. I am going to continue to take twice a day for the next month to see if the spiro "regulates" at 24 days or 28 days. My period on spiro only last 3-4 days...which is great!

It's been a miracle for my face...barely any breakouts.

I know this is an old forum. But I'm really concerned of how the spiro is affecting my period. I'm aware that it causes irregularities. I have had what I consider a regular cycle for me. My cycles have always been between 35-40 days. They have always laster 5-7 days. I have always had sore breasts as an indication that my period was coming. It started with very light spotting (brown), that each day it got heavier (bright red). I mean heavy as when you get up from your seat and you feel it coming out. (sorry). Some blood clots too. By day 6-7 it would tamper off.

Ok now I've been on spiro for almost three months. I've had a 22, 15 day cycle. Twice in 1 month!!!!!!!!!!! Okay I can handle this, but I'm concerned that my period is extremely light. It last for 7 days, but it comes and goes. I only use a pantiliner. In fact I don't think I see blood anymore. It just brownish, kinda pinkish red, but that it.

Im just concerned, becuase this is a big change for me. Can someone please share with me how spiro has affected their period.

I know this is an old forum. But I'm really concerned of how the spiro is affecting my period. I'm aware that it causes irregularities. I have had what I consider a regular cycle for me. My cycles have always been between 35-40 days. They have always laster 5-7 days. I have always had sore breasts as an indication that my period was coming. It started with very light spotting (brown), that each day it got heavier (bright red). I mean heavy as when you get up from your seat and you feel it coming out. (sorry). Some blood clots too. By day 6-7 it would tamper off.

Ok now I've been on spiro for almost three months. I've had a 22, 15 day cycle. Twice in 1 month!!!!!!!!!!! Okay I can handle this, but I'm concerned that my period is extremely light. It last for 7 days, but it comes and goes. I only use a pantiliner. In fact I don't think I see blood anymore. It just brownish, kinda pinkish red, but that it.

Im just concerned, becuase this is a big change for me. Can someone please share with me how spiro has affected their period.

Hey there!

I get looonng periods after almost every two weeks. lol. I think Spiro often causes irregularities if taken w/o BCP. Also, usually with time these irregularities get better. My physician told me not to worry about it much. Also, I've heard that once a person stops spiro, the periods goes back to normal. So its not like a BC that messes you up for months and months after I believe.

Hope I helped.

spiro has actually helped to make my periods MORE regular!! i used to get them every 21 days or less, and it was never on the same day. now i get my period ever 26 days, without fail. but it definitely can make some women irregular, my dermatologist warned me that this might happen.