Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fribjits

Poor College student, I need help with my diet.

Hi there, I'm a poor college student (Like the title says) with severe acne. I'm trying to eat better but it's hard at a university without much funds.

I have access to a walmart, a target, and a few grocery stores.

My diet currently USUALLY consists of:

Morning: Soymilk and cheerios, or brown sugar oatmeal, it's always one of the two.

Lunch: Whole grain toast and natural peanut butter, or chicken noodle soup, or sometimes nothing when I'm busy.

For snacks I'll usually almost always have either raisins or a high fiber bar.

Dinner varies, but is usually a bowl of spinach with something italian, like chef boyardee or spaghettios.

So I need some advice, if anyone could list some stuff I should (Or shouldn't) eat I would really appreciate it!

How long have you been doing this? If you have been eating like this for a fair amount of time, I would try low carb. Eggs, meat, and veggies being your primary sources of food.

So you have a full kitchen?

I'd suggest you make a lot of meals from legumes, lentils in particular as they are a very good protein source, as meat-pirate mentioned, then you can afford some more expensive things like salmon for other meals. And you can make a big pot to eat for a few days so you don't have to cook everyday.

Also, try steamed sweet potatoes for breakfast instead of cereal. Get canned tomatoes and frozen veggies to make soup, pasta sauce, etc. Spend your money on the most nutrient dense foods.

There are a lot of suggestions here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html If you scroll down, there's a post with some tips on how to get started cooking.

My advice to you is to pick and choose from others' helpful suggestions and come to your own conclusion. A certain diet might work for them but won't necessarily work for you. I'm a poor college guy myself but over the years I've mapped out a diet that works WITH my body, rather than against it. I'm still in the process of perfecting my diet though. I'll give you my poor man's sample diet but like I said, pick and choose and see what works for you.

BREAKFAST: an apple (always peeled), a banana, toast with jam, 2 raw eggs mixed with juice, and fill up with rice.

LUNCH: Footlong sub (choose wisely) or a sandwich, a handful of soaked nuts, 1 apple, and water.

DINNER: meat, steamed vegetables, and fill up with rice.

Enzymes from natural raw foods and probiotics (healthy bacteria) are one of the keys in promoting overall good health. The source of acne comes from the health of your body, so if anyone tells you it's an isolated occurrence, slap them.

and NO DAIRY, including soymilk. I know there are many 'facts' out there and it gets confusing...but trust me you'll be better off by the facts produced by your own body rather than a doctors advice. I suggest you abstain from any kind of milk, period. I avoid them myself. Look I'll end up writing waay too much here so if you want more info just look into it. The way I see it, without health, life cannot function.

Swap almond milk for the soy.

EAT LUNCH!

No canned spaghetti - ICK - buy jarred sauce and refrigerate what you don't use one day. Better yet - make enough spaghetti for two days and eat left-overs. You can even save plain spaghetti in the fridge if you drain it and toss it with just a little oil olive. No need to cook. Just pour boiling water over it to heat it up.

Limit the raisins. Add almonds or walnuts.

Add more vegetables, in general. Frozen are best.

Thanks for these tips guys!

However, I should have clarified that I have almost no cooking experience. I live in an apartment with a shared kitchen and frankly I don't even know how to boil water. I want to learn how to cook sooner or later obviously, but I'm such a newbie at the moment. xI

Don't worry. I've seen lots of people get started cooking here. Hence all the links gathered in the thread I referred you to above.

And Don't buy jarred sauce. Buy canned tomatoes. Saute some chopped onions and garlic, add the tomatoes, dried Italian spices which you can get together as Italian Seasoning, then simmer for a while. This really only takes 10-15 minutes. Throw in a little spinach from your bagged salad or from bags of frozen greens near the end. You'll hardly taste them so it's a good way to get these super nutritious foods. To get a stronger, slow cooked taste, get a can of tomato paste and add a spoonful. Put the rest in the freezer.

Now, pasta should not be too major a part of your diet. But you can buy frozen ravioli to boil. Most supermarkets have store brands. And there's Barilla plus pasta which is partially made with garbonzo bean flour. It costs more, though. The GI goes up the longer it cooks, so get thinner pasta and try to stop cooking as soon as it's al dente.

EAT LUNCH!

No canned spaghetti - ICK - buy jarred sauce and refrigerate what you don't use one day. Better yet - make enough spaghetti for two days and eat left-overs. You can even save plain spaghetti in the fridge if you drain it and toss it with just a little oil olive. No need to cook. Just pour boiling water over it to heat it up.

Almond milk is so delicious.

Also, substitute raisins with nuts. First thing you should do is get rid of chef boyardee as someone else mentioned.

EAT LUNCH!

Frozen veggies are better than fresh veggies? I always though fresh was better.

To the OP do you have a local farmers market you can go to and pick up your veggies? I know this goes against what Cecilia says about getting frozen but I know my local farmers market is so cheap and the veggies are always so yummy. I can get my entire weeks veggies/fruits for about $15. Frozen veggies are usually pretty cheap too so you could stock up on that. Wal-Mart has those big bags of chicken breasts so you can make things like chicken fajitas, chicken and mushrooms, chicken and wheat pasta. I also agree you should stay away from canned spaghetti, make a large pot of it and eat it for the next couple of days.

To answer devendralover, yes there is a farmer's market fairly close by.

But yea, i basically need to learn how to start cooking, I don't even have any of the right stuff, Pots, crock pots, rice cookers or what have you xD. I'm starting to look on the recipe links around here but I need some help starting with square one.

Also, I wanted to ask this, I made a promise to myself to eat absolutely NO junky food for a whole week starting wednesday. Well now it's friday morning and I wokeup with a HUGE breakout of a ton of little whiteheads all over my chin. Is this some sort of initial breakout and a sign of good things to come? Or should I be worried and try and go back on an antibiotic? :o

Well, my local farmers markets are not cheap at all. It's all organic and they claim to pick everything that morning. And charge you for it.

And frozen is better than the 'fresh' produce at typical supermarket because things are picked under ripe, stored and trucked all over the country. They claim frozen foods are picked at their peak of ripeness and frozen promptly.

Frozen is also handy because you can keep things on hand ready to cook whenever you have time. Personally, I can only manage a limited amount of fresh produce and get it cooked before spoiling.

To answer devendralover, yes there is a farmer's market fairly close by.

But yea, i basically need to learn how to start cooking, I don't even have any of the right stuff, Pots, crock pots, rice cookers or what have you xD. I'm starting to look on the recipe links around here but I need some help starting with square one.

Well, you don't need a rice cooker or a crock pot. Do you have good resale shops near you? If so, look for stainless steel with heavy bottoms. Also, those brown glass Corning or pyrex pots are in resale all the time. The pots are good and practically non-stick. Don't get the skillets though. The bumpy bottom makes food stick and hard to clean off.

You need way more fruits and veggies. That sounds like an okay diet though, when I saw the words "diet" and "college" in the same sentence I was expecting top ramen, doritos, soda, pizza taco bell.

The spaghettios have 0.5 grams of trans fat I think per serving, so a can has a gram. Trans fat is really bad. That isn't the culprit though, get more fruits and veggies they might be more money but whatever. start eating plain oatmeal. it's cheaper and the brown sugar oatmeal has a lot of sugar. yeah eggs are good just take out the yolk it has a lot of cholesterol. I think egges are relatively cheap too. like 3 dollars for a dozen, I eat three in one serving so thats four days worth for three bucks. I'm sure you can buy the bigger quantity ones.

I heard you can break out with peanut butter but I'm not sure. Anyhow don't stress on your diet being the culprit of acne, it's the stress. Just chill and make sure you get enough protein. Buy muscle milk or something. it's like thirty bucks and you mix it with milk in the morning. It has 350 calories and 32 grams of protein.

So you have a full kitchen?

I'd suggest you make a lot of meals from legumes, lentils in particular as they are a very good protein source, as meat-pirate mentioned, then you can afford some more expensive things like salmon for other meals. And you can make a big pot to eat for a few days so you don't have to cook everyday.

Also, try steamed sweet potatoes for breakfast instead of cereal. Get canned tomatoes and frozen veggies to make soup, pasta sauce, etc. Spend your money on the most nutrient dense foods.

There are a lot of suggestions here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Food-and-...ce-t205099.html If you scroll down, there's a post with some tips on how to get started cooking.

Apple always peeled? the skin has pectin, which is good for your skin Lol. eat the whole fruit none of this peeling bullshit .

^Who said anything about peeling apples? Or about apples, for that matter?

And eat the whole egg. None of this egg white only cholesterol bullshit. LOL.

Also, you breakout from peanut butter if you are allergic to peanut butter. Or if it's a crappy peanut butter with a lot of added sugar, bad fats, etc. I don't know why they add oils to something made from a nut that's full of oil, but most manufacturers do. Read labels. The best thing is to get the stuff that's ground in the store if you can.

Apple always peeled? the skin has pectin, which is good for your skin Lol. eat the whole fruit none of this peeling bullshit .

^Who said anything about peeling apples? Or about apples, for that matter?

And eat the whole egg. None of this egg white only cholesterol bullshit. LOL.

Also, you breakout from peanut butter if you are allergic to peanut butter. Or if it's a crappy peanut butter with a lot of added sugar, bad fats, etc. I don't know why they add oils to something made from a nut that's full of oil, but most manufacturers do. Read labels. The best thing is to get the stuff that's ground in the store if you can.

I was referring to a post above where pete (the name) recommended peeling apple skin. I suggest not to.

And the yolk is bad, don't eat it.

I was referring to a post above where pete (the name) recommended peeling apple skin. I suggest not to.

And the yolk is bad, don't eat it.

Unless you buy organic apples you should definitely peel your apples. Why? http://www.foodnews.org/fulllist.php

As far as eggs are concerned, the yolk is THE primary source of an egg's nutrients. Your info is just going to confuse others who read this. Give me facts as to why you think the yolk is bad, perhaps they cause you acne? I would love to know since I am studying nutrition. As I said before, some foods react a certain way for others.

As far as eggs are concerned, the yolk is THE primary source of an egg's nutrients. Your info is just going to confuse others who read this. Give me facts as to why you think the yolk is bad, perhaps they cause you acne? I would love to know since I am studying nutrition. As I said before, some foods react a certain way for others.

Yes. The yolk is where most of the nutrition is. And egg whites are very allergenic. Eat the whole egg. If you buy into the cholesterol thing and are worried about how much of it you eat, cut it somewhere else or eat less. But eat real, whole food.

Well, perhaps you could quote the relevant post instead of a random one. Posts are editable, btw.

Hi, I'm also a poor student; so I understand how hard it is. One of my top subjects in school was Home Ecconomics (food and nutrition) so I'll see what I can remember to help...

Compared to a lot of (in particular male) students your diet seems pretty good, although my main concern would be that you are quite lacking in fresh produce. As others have said, try and introduce more fresh fruit and veg into your diet. For example, eat a banana or some grapes etc at breakfast and add fresh veg such as peppers to you main meal. Snack on fresh fruit or carrot sticks and dip.

Vitamin A is good for you skin and as a general rule is found in good quantities in any fruit or veg that is vaguely red in colour; carrots, red peppers etc.

If you can afford it try and eat some 'oily fish'. Salmon or tuna etc (basically any fish that's not white). It has Omega 3 and essential fats etc which are very good for your skin. It can be expensive so I buy frozen from Iceland (£4 for a bag with 4-5 portions) but I don't know what your local equivialent would be.

Vitamin D is also good for your skin, the cheapest source is sunshine! So try and be out in the sun for about 20mins/day (ridiculously hard in N.Ireland, but hopefully easier where you live).

Another good rule is try and drink plenty of water during the day; tap water is fine. It's even better if you squeeze a lemon into it. If fresh lemons aren't an option then you can buy the bottled juice quite cheaply but fresh really is better. Another good idea is to drink the juice of a lemon with hot water 1st thing in the morning; it cleanses you liver, kickstarts your metabolism, is good for your skin and has Vitamin C- another important vitamin (mostly found in acidic foods).

If you are frying food try and get hold of Rapeseed oil rather than sunflower/olive oil. It has good fats for your skin in it. It's actually not too expensive because it's not as popular as olive oil.

Wholemeal carbs are always best for you, so good job on the toast! But you can also get wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc. They are much higher in fiber and better for you in general.

Green, White or Roobios tea are all caffeine free and hgh in anti-oxidants so are another wise thing to drink.

The Student area where I live is quite near all the ethnic food shops; which are always worth a look in to keep cost down. Just because you don't recognise the brand doesn't mean it's bad! In my local Chinese Store I found good, cheap green tea bags and aloe-vera juice (among other things) at 50p a bottle which is really nice and good for your skin. Try having a look round your area.

This may sound odd, but try and avoid clingfilm (plastic food wrap). It secretes estrogen into fatty foods. Now according to my Home Ecc teacher this will turn guys into women, whilst I think that's a little...crazy, you don't want to be having too much estrogen in your system. Not least because it can be a trigger for acne. Instead use greaseproof paper to wrap food or tupperware (tinfoil's not great for your health generally; particularly when used with acidic foods).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head; if I think of anything else I'll write another message. If you want any general cookery advice just say, it's something I really enjoy.