Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isabelle11

Will the flakiness EVER end?

Okay, so I've been on the regimen for almost 6 weeks now.

My acne is basically all cleared up, with the exception of a few red marks.

I worked my way up to two full pumps only at night, so I don't put the bp on in the morning...

Anyway, I'm still experiencing flakiness. At the moment, lots of it. It seems as if my face will go through cycles of flakiness......first my skin will get tight for a few days, followed by small flakes, then large peeling flakes (they are fun to peel off at times though..hehe)...and then it'll get somewhat better, but then get flakiness will come back again a few days later. It's like never-ending flakes.

So my question is, will my skin EVER get used to the bp to a point of not flaking anymore? Or will they 'always' be there? It's a little depressing thinking that I'll always have to worry about the flakes. Now people aren't looking at my acne, they are wondering why the heck my face is all crusty. I definitely want to keep using the bp (and only at night) because it has worked wonders for my acne and oily skin.....but should I make adjustments to the amount I'm using or just keep at this for a few weeks, even a month longer, in hope that my face will eventually get used to the bp??

Should I exfoliate every so often, or would that just screw up everything??

Also, does anyone else kind of 'pick' off the flakes? Like I've been using tweezers and pulling one by one off. They're basically just sitting on my skin anyway.

I keep thinking the same thing.

My face is just like yours. I have been on the regimen for 3 1/2 months and I can't seem to get rid of the flakes.

I found that using AHA will help, but not completely clear the problem. It's only temporary anyway; they always come back in a day or two. So I could use AHA every other night, except that when I use AHA my face is more red the next day and I don't particularly like the way it looks.

I found that shaving helped the flakes a lot, but I personally like having a little stubble...and in order to clear the flakes, I would probably have to shave every 2 days. So that kinda sucks.

I am gonna do the jojoba oil exfoliation method next, I have done it before but back then I still had acne and I think it messed me up some.

btw, I do the regimen morning and night, 1 pump of BP both times. I've been backing off the BP slowly trying to find a happy place where I have no acne and no flakes. I have no acne....but the flakes aren't going away (just slight improvement). Good luck to you..

Try exfoliating, definitely. You have no mention of moisturizer. Even if your skin is oily, you should use some, or try to at least.

Try gently going over your face with a washcloth at the end of your showers, after your skin has had a chance to really soften up. That should get a lot of the flakes off. Then, afterward, moisturize.

Thanks for the replies...

I do use a moisturizer, to answer one of the questions above. Both in the morning and at night. The moisturizer doesn't make the flakes go away though...it just somewhat covers them up. It kind of makes my face clumpy actually.

I exfoliated my skin this morning, using an apricot scrub, and that helped somewhat, but since my flakes are kind of at the beginning of their stage at the moment, it didn't help completely because they're still attached to my skin. Make sense?

I've done the whole jojoba oil exfoliation method before, but don't like it too much. It only seems to work for the flakes that are REALLY loose on your face. The others remain.

I think what I'll do is keep using two pumps at night for another 2-4 weeks, exfoliating a few times a week (so long as my skin doesn't get raw and irritated), and if that doesn't help to where I want it, then maybe I'll just use one pump at night. I suppose I'm just afraid to decrease the amount I use because I've spent so much time increasing the amount....I don't want to have to start over, you know?

If you've got acne-prone skin, I'd advise against exfoliants containing crushed apricot pits or walnut shells or anything similar. The pieces in those types of exfoliants tend to have jagged edges, which can actually cause micro-tears on your skin, which can be an excellent way for bacteria to get in.

If you're going to use a manual exfoliant, look for something with rounded plastic beads. Those can be just as effective without tearing up your skin.

And always be gentle when exfoliating--being to rough can irritate your skin, which can lead to more acne.

I use it as i should be used, and still a year after i started i flake pretty badly. Doesnt look good at all.

Oh no...Cecelia's least favourite product on earth...the dreaded apricot scrub...

Try the baby brush method, jojoba oil method, or gentle (or extra gentle) facial BufPuf and your regular cleanser.

I like Clinique's Exfoliating scrub, but I think it would be too harsh for your face right now.

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

I'd suggest adding jojoba oil to your moisturizer at each application if you haven't already. And consider adding in the AHA+ lotion a few nights per week to help your skin exfoliate.

I would strongly discourage any scrubs or manual rubbing/scrubbing. Dan feels these forms of manual exfoliation are too irritating to acne prone skin.

I used to rub my face a bit with my hands under the water and I could feel some dead skin coming off. I think the most important thing to preventing flaking however was not waiting 10 minutes after washing my face, but immediately applying moisturizer to it after my face was dry. I was also not using the regimen during the day however so that could make a diff.

stupid question =)

what is flakiness... my english dictionary translates it like somethingwithcornflakes =) so I can't right imagine what it means with face...

or is it white dry peeling skin? maybe .. =)

add jojoba oil to your moisturizer, it might make your face look slightly glossy but it will take care of the flakes.

stupid question =)

what is flakiness... my english dictionary translates it like somethingwithcornflakes =) so I can't right imagine what it means with face...

or is it white dry peeling skin? maybe .. =)

Yep, that's exactly what it means--skin that's dry and peeling (the pieces that come loose would be the "flakes").

i also highly recommend the AHA. worked great for my somewhat sensitive skin.

i was a bit red the first time, but after that i didn't experience any problems at all.

took care of flakiness AND red marks for me.