Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UC 951

Stay/Go in/to school to get M.D.

Hello,

Do any of you out there ever sort of want to become a Dermatologist? Ever since I started being concerned about my face and skin (appearance at that) and have gone to a few dermatologists the one thing I dislike is customer care. The communications skills of the doctor sometimes aren't really there for me. I'm always skeptical whether the doctor is answering my questions with facts in the field, or his marketing scheme to sell his service and goods. Anyhow, that's just me I'm paranoid.

But I've sort of thought through the past year in school (currently third year undergraduate) while I was doing general chemistry with a lot of the "pre-med" kids that maybe I should stay in school and do the remaining (kind of a lot, at least a year or mores worth) prerequisites to apply to medical school. I feel if my skin clears up and rejuvenates having utilized the technology in the field today, I would be really confident in helping others with same issues.. acne/scarring. I think if I were a dermatologist, I would be super real with them and be-friend my patients. I think after all acne is more so a psychological problem than a health one. Anyhow I am starting this thread just to see if there are other people out there that have had acne sort of make them want to help other people, in this specific case, become a Dermatologist. I know it's tons of hard work to be put in but I think I would be %100 dedicated if I was confident it could be done.

i think that would be awesome! i have considered that as well because when you have struggled greatly with the problem, you can be more understanding of your patients.

i would say go for it! you can do anything you put your mind to

my sis was considering the same thing. I think its really commendable considering your motivation

if i was good with science and all that i would def want to be a dermatologist. having acne has made me so interested in it and skin care in general.. you should definitely go for it and i totally understand what you mean about how doctors are... it seems like they give the same solution to all their patients which never works anyways..

YES!!! Do it!! Follow your dreams!! You know how many of us are just dying to go to someone with your kind of dedication and sincerity!!! Dermatologists need to have that kind of motivation, a lot of them don't obviously. But seriously, take the courses and see how far it gets you!! Don't let it over-burden you or for it all to seem daunting, take it one day and one course at a time, and before you know it, you'll be treating all of us!! =D

Good luck!!!

I used to think about this as well. I think it's awesome that you are considering this avenue. It sounds as if you have the passion for it, so I'd keep that and see where it takes you! =)

Yeah well I talked with my department so apparently I would graduate next Spring with my regular degree and then through the extension center the following year, take the remaining courses organic chemistry, biology and physics. I also need one more quarter of math and I think you need a quarter of biochemistry.

Ill basically do some thinking for the next year, I essentially have until then anyways, if I decide sooner I'll start physics next fall or something. I just don't want to look back and regret doing what I wanted. note: I would first want to be %100 confident I am down to do this, I think part in why maybe some dermatologists just aren't really that helpful or kind, is maybe like anybody they just fell into the wrong job.

I figure though with current job status in California, or nationally I guess (unemployment rate is like over 8 percent) I should stay in school. I like learning anyways ha. So idk, I'll talk around and find out how "it" all works and hopefully finally decide. I said "no" at the end of fall quarter this past year deciding not to continue with the science course so I can keep up with my own major's requirements but I find myself still interested. Anyways enough talk, more walk!

I've had the same thought! There's nothing like cystic acne to make you 1. really interested in skin, and 2. really empathetic towards others with skin trouble. It makes a world of difference to have an understanding doctor. I was never comfortable with my high school dermatologist; I always felt like she was blaming me for having persistent acne, reprimanding me for picking at my skin, and offhandedly writing prescriptions that had little chance of working (if antibiotics four, five and six hadn't worked, why on earth would the seventh?).

In college I got a new derm, and it was like night and day. She was friendly and she took the time to really talk with me about what was going on. When your doctor is bubbly and optimistic about clearing up your skin, it makes a world of difference, and I actually looked forward to visits. Even things that aren't actually compliments ("You're such a great candidate for Accutane!!") can make you feel good if the doctor is on your side.

I'm on a different career track, which I really love, so I'm not sure dermatology is in my future. But I think I'll always be really interested in skin. Whenever people ask me about skin care, I get really excited. :D

I started thinking about this in high school. Maybe I could be a dermatologist because I want to help anyone who has acne. But I'm not that smart. I do know that I want to have a career where I can help people with their problems.

You should go for what you want. Even if you don't make it, it shows you have the determination to go after your dreams.

Good luck on the MCATs! I could never hold up enough motivation and dedication to drudge through 4 years of medical school. :)

Well yes i've had eczema and hyperhidrosis since birth, and then moderate acne. I was natural at academics so I wanted to be a dermatologist for a long time (not necesarily anything else in medicine).

Number of drawbacks

-medicine is not the glorious thing people seem to make it out to be. It takes a lifetime of training, it's extremely stressful, patient interaction is limited and more like a conveyor belt, it is full of bureaucracy. Many promising treatments do not get funding.

-After all that training you would essentially be spending your life dealing with the same things that dogged you as a teenager, over and over again. As much as I wish I could help people w/ acne i'm frankly sick to death of it and repeating about the same creams and tablets would depress me.

-Not all patients are nice. In fact some are god damn assholes.

-There is no guarentee you would get into dermatology. It is the most popular speciality, so you would have to compete against many others. If you couldn't do dermatology is there another speciality you would be happy training in?

-Whenever I see a doctor they're usually 'old' and look irritated. On the work / life balance medicine is definitely tilted more towards the work side.

Hello,

Do any of you out there ever sort of want to become a Dermatologist? Ever since I started being concerned about my face and skin (appearance at that) and have gone to a few dermatologists the one thing I dislike is customer care. The communications skills of the doctor sometimes aren't really there for me. I'm always skeptical whether the doctor is answering my questions with facts in the field, or his marketing scheme to sell his service and goods. Anyhow, that's just me I'm paranoid.

But I've sort of thought through the past year in school (currently third year undergraduate) while I was doing general chemistry with a lot of the "pre-med" kids that maybe I should stay in school and do the remaining (kind of a lot, at least a year or mores worth) prerequisites to apply to medical school. I feel if my skin clears up and rejuvenates having utilized the technology in the field today, I would be really confident in helping others with same issues.. acne/scarring. I think if I were a dermatologist, I would be super real with them and be-friend my patients. I think after all acne is more so a psychological problem than a health one. Anyhow I am starting this thread just to see if there are other people out there that have had acne sort of make them want to help other people, in this specific case, become a Dermatologist. I know it's tons of hard work to be put in but I think I would be %100 dedicated if I was confident it could be done.

My boyfriend has entertained the thought of studying dermatology, I tell him to go for it! He can help me out along with his patients LOL.

My reasoning with my who delayed dilemma is, I suppose I have all the time. I mean I really am in no rush to get out there and work, I would hate to work. I know that's kind of random, but I suppose I should shoot for it and if i don't get in right away I maybe shouldn't let that deter me to do otherwise.

There's a group on my campus that hooks pre-med undergrads up with like a buddy who has been there done that and has been accepted into medical school. My friend is in it and he said it's nice to have advice from somebody doing the same (or did) thing and lending insight opposed to advisers telling you the guidelines and recommendations. Mainly, I am still looking into it. I know I'm lagging I just want to make sure I don't go into this being indecisive and impulsive as I can in other things =]

I think I might need/want to take my physics series over next summer, which will be quite a workload but I usually can do well if I focus on one thing.

I kind of want to be a dermatologist. I really don't like my derm, so being one I would know what it's like to go through acne and really relate.

Guest Chrisâ„¢
My reasoning with my who delayed dilemma is, I suppose I have all the time. I mean I really am in no rush to get out there and work, I would hate to work. I know that's kind of random, but I suppose I should shoot for it and if i don't get in right away I maybe shouldn't let that deter me to do otherwise.

There's a group on my campus that hooks pre-med undergrads up with like a buddy who has been there done that and has been accepted into medical school. My friend is in it and he said it's nice to have advice from somebody doing the same (or did) thing and lending insight opposed to advisers telling you the guidelines and recommendations. Mainly, I am still looking into it. I know I'm lagging I just want to make sure I don't go into this being indecisive and impulsive as I can in other things =]

I think I might need/want to take my physics series over next summer, which will be quite a workload but I usually can do well if I focus on one thing.

You just have to imagine what it would be like to be a derm.. Even though you would be able to sympathize with patients, is that something you really see yourself doing for the rest of your life? Being able to sympathize with people and really caring and helping them is one thing (which would be a dream derm to have), but would you really be able to do that day in and day out? If so, and if that's something you think you could enjoy doing everyday, then I think you should go for it.. We all know that the field of dermatology could use a few good men (or women) lol.

I hate to be the negative one but dermatoligy is not only acne, it also involves many other nasty skin problems. But if you really have your heart set on becoming a derm, more power to you.

In medicine I dont doubt it's very rewarding but you'll see the very worst of the world.. horrible and depressing things. If you told an interview panel you wanted to do it to help people with acne you wouldn't get in.

Yeah, I understand (or figure at least) to be a a full fledged legitimate doctor you must have all of the above. Knowledge, care, precision and what not. Good communication skills. I guess where I'm at is I do not know if it is something I want to do the rest of my life. I'm not sure if this impulse to stay longer as an undergrad is just because I'm so self conscious about my own skin that it seems feasible to do this career plan (try at least) meaning yeah, I really don't know if it's something I'd want. Where I'm stuck at is, will I ever find an outlet to which I can answer this one question? Would it be something I'd do day to day, well?

Not to be too one-sided in favor of my decision but I figure maybe that's an inevitable risk of any career path? Anyhow I'm in no big rush meaning, I would rather take time to decide if it's something I want to do (probably no longer than a year) than to jump into it and compete with my graduating class. I did get an offer from one of the dermatologist's I saw (Lol) to shadow her on a busy day. She said to feel free and call and I could come in on a busy day and watch her I suppose (I told her my lingering aspiration to do medical). But would that even solve all my questions? Probably not (not declining the offer though). So I'm sort of sticking with the idea to act on what I feel, and to expect that maybe not all the best outcomes will arise when I demand. I'm sort of leaning towards the idea that persistence and desire to do something is the ultimate factor. I'm going to a medical conference this Saturday May 9th, at my school with a neurosurgeon speaking and I'm assuming other people to talk about all the inner works of what it takes to get where they are. Plus there's breakfast and luncheon which I paid for but it already sounds good. I like to eat prepared food.

Let me know what you guys think about this mentality as stated above the whole, I guess "optimistic" version. I figure the worst case scenario, where there are many at diff stages. are..

1. if I stay longer in school and either decide it's not for me after having done classes, or don't get in anywhere after a couple years I think I'm down to keep re-applying until I get in to a California school. Worst case, I waste a lot of money and time, but I did the classes which were interesting and my gpa will probably better as I see a better incentive to raise it (med). So hopefully by then (probably like at latest, 4-5 years from now) the job market will pick back up and I can just look for a job within my major, or perhaps find a masters program within my major. Not like it's that easy, but I'm really not trying to let time or money hold me back is the thing.

2. In the long run? I suppose if I really hated it or something I wouldn't practice? I know that's kind of dumb thing to say but I guess I really don't know. I figure our lives are short right? Might as well strive for the best. Shit, I want the best you know? Not to get all philosophical on your ass but you know? Might as well. I hate settling for less what i desire.

sounds awesome, but just think about what makes YOU happy. it is great to think about making a difference and helping out others through your own experiences, but just think if that is what you want to do... i know i sound completely selfish, but in life, i believe, there are times when you have to put yourself before others.

also, getting an MD is not a piece of cake. you might have good intentions, but think about the coming years and all the things you will have to keep up with... but if that's what you want, and what makes you happy, go for it... there are no obstacles in this world and the limit is the sky...

i am a third year undergrad too, and yes, i am pre-med, i <3 chemistry :)

Yeah I'm really not trying to underestimate the amount of effort required to do this lifelong commitment (or at least the next 10-15 years worth) but I try to think of anything as feasible, I really do honestly get discouraged when I see top people of my class or whenever do extraordinarily well, doing top grade research, 3.8+ gpa, tutoring people in the subject and so forth. I wonder if it's people like me (complete opposite) who are the silly ones who keep trying and keep trying you know? I know nothings ever set in stone but if you think that way it might seem so.

Anyhow, I plan on going into the classes (first step) next year or the following as I finish up my own major's requirements, with the idea that I really want to learn the material. Not tricking myself but I did enjoy chemistry and I really wanted to go to organic at the time because I heard it is more interesting, and biology I wouldn't mind learning and I recently have wanted to learn about physical science. This is me trying to alleviate the barriers keeping people/me from doing what they/I want to do in future.

As for what I want to do or what I want in life, I honestly don't know. I figure I do like science, and learning no lie. Meaning I view the investment in education worthwhile and not a chore (although sometimes I do I have to admit, but overall I like school). I am still unsure of what I can handle as far as getting there (doctor of medicine) but I would love to help other people with aesthetic problems if I knew how. Even plastic surgery if I knew how but I really don't and that's just a thought out of my ass, but I think that would be fun to raise other people's confidence levels and such. blah blah same stuff. I also would want to be financially stable in life, so if I did get there I don't think I would be too bogged down in that aspect. I would hopefully learn how to invest in real estate which could hopefully be a kind of hobby. So I don't know. All I'm trying to say is I would hopefully find ways to satisfy myself without being at the expense of whatever my chosen goal is, in this case a medical career. I can't see myself doing like a regular job where it's just mechanical and dry as I see most jobs that people can get. Not saying doctor's jobs can't be that way but I think there's much more potential for new ideas to be incorporated into the field and sparks more interest in researching. Basically whatever way I can at my best ability, i want to put forth towards society, I want to have a reason to do so and to not just float along in life all mechanical like. I figure doctors either do the research or implement the technologies themselves to the people. So if that's true in the end, that is what I'd want to do.

i want to become a doctor too :)

let's set up a clinic together in near future :)

just go for it buddy, you don't know what you can do until you attempt to do something and let me tell you, i loved organic chemistry, even the lab that people avoid like the plague it was my favorite class that quarter :)

you go to a UC? if so, which one??

take care

i want to become a doctor too :)

let's set up a clinic together in near future :)

just go for it buddy, you don't know what you can do until you attempt to do something and let me tell you, i loved organic chemistry, even the lab that people avoid like the plague it was my favorite class that quarter :)

you go to a UC? if so, which one??

take care

Yeah, like I don't know if it's my mind tricking myself but I actually want to take the classes. I have a year of organic with labs, a year of physics with labs, a quarter more I think of math but I have to double check I thought I read that the intermediate calc is necessary for UCLA. I'll double check though I don't want to do just the bare minimum. I also need a quarter of introductory biochemistry. And the last quarter of Biology after this summer.

Ultimately I need to raise my gpa. I have a 2.71 right now. Yikes. I know. The last quarters I've been doing well like, I did 3.0 then 3.5. Anyhow I think I can raise it with the remaining classes. It will take work that I'm willing to put in. I did really well in chemistry and biology. A's in two and a B+ in another and a C in my first quarter of chem Lol. I basically need to smash on the MCAT.

I go to UC riverside which apparently is creating their own medical school in 2012. Idk when that will pan out though. I think I would want to stay local like UC Irvine or something, but honestly I'm just taking one step at a time which is focusing my interest in my classes to raise gpa.

i think that the first step towards success is realizing what you have to do and convinving yourself that you have the potential to do it. i loved chemistry and now i just have to take the intro to biochem class and labs... i need one more quarter of physics, done with biology and math... oh, stats too, i am taking it, so easy :P

i am looking into doing medschool abroad, i need something different... but yeah, i have heard about the future medschool at UCI... UCLA's numbers on admissions are ridiculous though... i understand they need more than average joes but we are not all geniuses... you'll make it, i am sure :D

you are an anteater!!! i am a bruin!!!

yay for the UC family :)

Well yes i've had eczema and hyperhidrosis since birth, and then moderate acne. I was natural at academics so I wanted to be a dermatologist for a long time (not necesarily anything else in medicine).

Number of drawbacks

-medicine is not the glorious thing people seem to make it out to be. It takes a lifetime of training, it's extremely stressful, patient interaction is limited and more like a conveyor belt, it is full of bureaucracy. Many promising treatments do not get funding.

-After all that training you would essentially be spending your life dealing with the same things that dogged you as a teenager, over and over again. As much as I wish I could help people w/ acne i'm frankly sick to death of it and repeating about the same creams and tablets would depress me.

-Not all patients are nice. In fact some are god damn assholes.

-There is no guarentee you would get into dermatology. It is the most popular speciality, so you would have to compete against many others. If you couldn't do dermatology is there another speciality you would be happy training in?

-Whenever I see a doctor they're usually 'old' and look irritated. On the work / life balance medicine is definitely tilted more towards the work side.

This is a realistic view unfortunately.