Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pretty Struggle

My Accutane Progress Report

History: I had mild acne in high school, didn't really wear make-up so it wasn't really severe.

I started doing modeling and having breakouts just isn't an option. I went to the dermatologist and she put me on tetracycline. After a month I told her it was too strong, I was getting headaches and he put me on Adoxa.

I got Stevens Johnson Syndrome and almost died after being originally diagnosed with an allergic reaction and released with more meds. After a week of taking the new prescriptions I broke out in a huge rash and went to the hospital where they told me my body was attacking itself and I had to be placed under care immediately. I stayed in the hospital 2 weeks as I saw my body deteriorate and they didn't know how to stop it. Somehow they did and I went home weighing in at 110 lbs. which for me is unnatural at 5"6.

After that all my skin renewed itself and then my doctor put me on birth control. My skin was pretty much under control for many years until last June. I got my gallbladder removed, was going through finals, had my frind staying on my couch and decided to stop taking my birth control as I'm not sexually active. Worst mistake ever!!

We're not sure if it was the stress or me getting off birth control, but my skin freaked out. I started getting acne on my back and chest and my face has never looked more red. The worst part is that it hurt!! I didn't know whether to put lotion on or what. I was miserable. I went to my Dr.'s to get a referal for the derm and he gave me some antibiotics and topical gels first and told me to be patient. After finishing the antibiotics and only seeing mild improvements I called the derm, told them my story and suggested I get on Accutane since my sister had already had great success.

She agreed and I am now on my second month.

First month I started on 20mg a day to see my reaction. Second prescription I picked up on the 23rd of April is for 40mg.

She has me alternating 2 (40mg) pills and 1 (40mg) pill. She says that way it will be like taking a 60mg dosage. Sure

Today is the first day of me really feeling my treatment. I have a huge postule I think it's called between my eyes like I'm a friggin unicorn and it's peeling so makeup doesn't even help. The rest of my facial skin is peeling too which has me thinking why I even bothered to put on makeup this morning. I noticed I'm thirsty from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep. Also I was rather sore this morning and have been for the last couple of days. My hands feel sore - probably from typing and they did say my joints would be sore.

My whole body is itching, I need more lotion and I'm at work so its not as if I can just strip down and take care of it. lol

We shall see what happens. First log entry into my journey. Oh, I also need new lotion.

Wow, you've got an intense medical history. Accutane could be a piece of cake compared to what you've already been through. And yeah, birth control pills can be so unpredictable. When my skin was at its worst, I definitely had that "Don't know what to do! Make it stop!!" feeling. Hopefully Accutane will put out the fire so you can start fresh.

Wow, you've got an intense medical history. Accutane could be a piece of cake compared to what you've already been through. And yeah, birth control pills can be so unpredictable. When my skin was at its worst, I definitely had that "Don't know what to do! Make it stop!!" feeling. Hopefully Accutane will put out the fire so you can start fresh.

Thank you, if this is as bad as it gets I've got it handled! That actually makes me feel better because my sister only tells me negative things. She said she still suffers from joint problems but that its worth it.

It seems like a roller coaster ride and I want to get to the end so I can say how scary it was and that I'd do it again! lol

I have an adventurous spirit I guess. Hope you have a great day, thanks for the message =]

So today is day two of my progress report.

Yesterday I was kind of frustrated with my appearance as my skin was a falling puzzle piece. In between my eyes there is a "horn"(postule) like a unicorn and because of it I wore my glasses all day to try to disguise it. The only thing it did was give me a headache as I usually only wear my glasses towards the evening when my eyes start getting tired and I have to stare at a board in class.

I had applied lotion the night before and I stopped using all topical gels because I don't think my skin can handle any additional treatment. When I woke up in the morning my skin was peeling so I washed my face and applied alot of lotion. First Neutrogena Moisturizer and then SPF 30 - which only made my skin like little pieces of wet paper mache against my face. I tried to take off as much as I could but it was too much and finally I just applied more lotion and makeup and headed to work. Once I got to work I looked in the mirror and it looked worse than when I left my house. I wanted to wash my face and reapply or something, It just looked disgusting and I felt like a leper. Everyone looked at me but didn't say anything. (I don't know which would have been worse) When I got home I jumped in a warm shower and washed my face with Aveeno Foaming wash and it felt like the excess skin just fell off. It was a weird feeling but when I put lotion on it no longer looked or felt like it had in the morning. I went to bed hoping for the best and this morning my skin was a little flaky in some areas, but nothing that couldn't be remedied by sunscreen. I decided not to wash my face this morning to keep in the natural oils. Any one have any advice on this? Does everyone wash their face before bed and then again in the morning?

Last night I also put on extra moisturizing lotion around my eyes, and I find that it helps alot. still don't have to use eye drops, but I already bought some just in case.

My feet were really dry this morning. Felt like my right foot was cut somehow due to the dryness. I'm going to have to get some Gold Bonds foot cream.

Other than that I'm having a pretty good day. Let's see how long it takes me to become a unicorn no more!! before Accutane it would take like a month and sometimes it would get a companion on the other side of my nose. (In between my eye brows)

Hope everyine has a good day!! Still searching for a signature.

XOXO

For the past couple days I started noticing little red bumps on my stomach. I didn't think much of it, reaction and such but last night they really started to freak me out so after I showered I put on ridiculous amounts of lotion and cut my finger nails. I'm assuming it might be due to me scratching my stomach or something when I'm sleeping? It seems anywhere I scarch I get a bump or rash of some sort. I have a Derm. Appt on the 18th so I'm going to hope for the best and wait it through. I tried finding similar reactions to it but didn't find anyone else with the same reaction. We'll see.

I'm attaching a picture, not of the finest quality as I took it from my camera phone and at work quickly but you should get the picture.

post-102200-1241628472.jpg

post-102200-1241628472.jpg