Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xicanabear

Someone try to convince me not to go on accutane....

Ok, so a little about myself. I'm 26 years old. I've had acne since I was 17, nearly 9 years. I suffer from bacne as well....yeih :( . I've been on many types of oral antibiotics, creams (prescribed and otc). I've tried diet changes in the past, zinc, vitamins, lifestyle changes. Some of this worked temporarily but not to the point where I felt confident, but the moment I skipped, it came back with a vengance. I have come to the conclusion that I have resistant infected acne. I went to the derm 2 days ago, it took 3 months to get an aptt. I told him my history and he immediately prescribed me accutane, which I'm supposed to start at the end of May. For this month, he gave me minocycline, bp 5% for morning, and tretinoin cream for night. I had already tried this combo in the past and it messed up my skin. Of course, in the past I didn't finish the treatment because it got worse and I freaked out and stopped, instead of continuing on with it. But I don't know if I should just go for the accutane and do it (the side effects freak me out and the IB) or if I should try again with a holistic approach.........................also my derm is putting me on birth control as part of the accutane (Yaz), even though I told him I'm not sexually active at all. I just don't want to put all these chemicals in my body.....anyone with a similar experience who's debating taking accutane, or who took accutane and had more success holistically? Thanks

I think accutane should ONLY be taken if you suffer from severe acne and ALL other options have failed. What kind of acne do you have? I also think if you have a history of moderate to severe depression, accutane should be avoided

I took 2 courses of accutane along with all kinds of antibiotics and other prescription drugs during the 10-15 years I tried getting help from dermatologists. None of them worked. I really don't recall them even helping a bit. The only thing accutane did was give me chapped lips.

The severe cystic acne I used to get turned out to be an allergic reaction to most citrus fruits. Avoiding them made my skin drastically better, but I still had very oily skin, blackheads and acne of all kinds.

Then, years later, after reading post after post from Atkins dieters saying the diet cleared them, and after my ex-husband was diagnosed with diabetes. I started looking into nutrition and just finally 'got' that we were not meant to be eating this way. I started avoiding sugary and refined foods and drinks in favor of real nutrient dense foods and my skin cleared within 2 months.

I should mention that before changing my diet I spent a while taking vitamin supplements like zinc, b-complex and C and these made my skin a lot less oily and acne was less inflamed.

Wow...thanks everyone! Deep down inside I knew this (but not to the extent that duchamp mentioned, thanks so much for that info) but really I just wanted someone who's been there to tell me...I kept changing my mind about 5 times a day. My family's seen me suffer for years, at first my mom flipped out when she saw all the side effects and so did I so I didn't do it the first time the doc offered it....I was 17 back then. Now that I'm 26 my mom is encouraging me to just get it over with, to take the risk but I wasn't feeling too great about it, even though I was tempted by the success stories/pictures here. I have been taking minocycline for 2 days (it was supposed to be for a month before accutane) but I will stop today. The doc also prescribed Yaz birth control, but I haven't gotten it, and I'm glad I didn't. Anyway, I don't think two days of mino will really make me more resistant than what I already am (although I was already seeing improvements in my skin)....I gues for now I won't be taking accutane....I hope I don't regret it later.....and I hope I don't change my mind. But honestly, I am already moody as is, I get easily annoyed and cranky and sad sometimes.....and I over analyze life so much so maybe it's best that I avoid accutane....at least for now. BTW, duchamp, does that mean you've never been on accutane before? alternativista, so 2 courses of accutane did nothing for your skin??

alternativista, so 2 courses of accutane did nothing for your skin??

The only thing I recall is chapped lips. And one of the courses was taken after figuring out the allergy and avoiding the allergen so it wasn't a matter of my still breaking out from the allergy.

I went down the holistic route first, but now I'm giving into Accutane. All my friends know what a health freak I am, but acne has given me now choice. It only gets better but it NEVER has cleared 100% from all the stuff I've tried.

I went down the holistic route first, but now I'm giving into Accutane. All my friends know what a health freak I am, but acne has given me now choice. It only gets better but it NEVER has cleared 100% from all the stuff I've tried.

I've tried birth control, antibiotics, topical treatments- but I found that they messed up my body so much that I didn't stick with any of them for long (except with minocycline which did work temporarily the first time round). I never tried Accutane, and well, I think I would rather spend the rest of my life battling with acne and bacne rather than try it. Of course, it can be 'successful'- but seriously... the possible side effects... it's insane!

It's been exactly a month since I've cut out all dairy, gluten and sugar and I can say that my acne is getting much better. I don't break out anymore- I must have a couple of healing pimples, but the rest is just red marks. I don't put anything I can't eat on my face and overall, I have been feeling much better. In my opinion, the thing with holistic approaches is that it's not as simple as taking a couple of pills and hoping for the best- it's more like a dramatic lifestyle change which includes not only food and exercise, but also your perspective on life in general- and trust me it IS for the better.

The main 'rule' is my diet comes from this article by Dr Mercola.

The Love Vitamin is my motivation.

High On Health is the first website I stumbled upon when doing some research about curing acne holistically.

And I read reviews and the nutrition and holistic health forum all the time.

Goodluck :)

Hahaha I just realized this is from 2009.. ooops!

I was on accutane in my late teens. It didn't clear me up. It dried my skin out to shit and I felt miserable on it. I've also been on various anti-biotics, various birth controls, and various perscription topicals. NOTHING cleared me acne.

I went holistic and it has so far been the ONLY thing that has helped. I have now not had a new spot for 2 weeks for the first time in a long azz time.

Check out my log below for details! DONT go on accutane. The long term damage is so not worth it :(

As much as I WISH to go on to the holistic route, I just don't find it viable because you have to cook for yourself most of the type and you can almost never eat out. It felt great while I was on it, but it made me severely depressed because I became so socially awkward.

As much as I WISH to go on to the holistic route, I just don't find it viable because you have to cook for yourself most of the type and you can almost never eat out. It felt great while I was on it, but it made me severely depressed because I became so socially awkward.

That is very true. Which is why I think it is very important to change your attitude and perspective on life in general if you choose to go down the holistic route. It can make you feel socially awkward but it is quite easy to overcome if you look at the situation in a different light.

In my case, I am not trying to 'fit into' social activities which make me feel awkward. I don't care if I stick out, I don't care if I look weird when I don't join in. I found new things to do, in some cases with different people. And it's a choice I actually made- it's not like I was the 'victim' who had to make adjustments. I haven't stopped and pitied myself one single time since I started this holistic thing, haha :)

And anyway, in any case, the 'social awkwardness' will fade eventually!

I dont really think thats true :shrug:

I cook for myself the vast majority of the time, but of course I go out with friends or family once in a while. I just make sure what I'm ordering is pretty okay and enjoy it. No one can be on the perfect diet, it just wouldn't make you happy. I go the 90% healthy 10% fun route, but I try and make my fun as healthy as I can.

I haven't been on the dreaded 'tane, but I'd like to echo what others have said. It seems like a drastic resort, which is fine I suppose, so long as you've given everything else a good try first.

i would definitely try going holistic first. accutane worked for my large cysts on my back but my face kept a moderate breakout, which i now know is from my diet. plus my skin is so dry now and i get dehydrated far more easily than i did before accutane. going holistic will be cheaper and will probably benefit all areas of your life, not only your skin. good luck!